100 South Main Project....ready to see some dirt move!

ponderjb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is so ugly and cheap-looking that I don't even know where to begin.

That paneling used on the flat, white windows in the front which extends a bit around the near edge of the roof is the hallmark of "we're just slapping this together without much care" architecture.

It's like every crap design cliche popular at the moment was thrown into a blender set to "Underwhelm".

I mean The Vue was pretty damn generic, but this thing is just a waste of space that might have been preserved for a worthwhile building.

That is so ugly and cheap-looking that I don't even know where to begin.

That paneling used on the flat, white windows in the front which extends a bit around the near edge of the roof is the hallmark of "we're just slapping this together without much care" architecture.

It's like every crap design cliche popular at the moment was thrown into a blender set to "Underwhelm".

I mean The Vue was pretty damn generic, but this thing is just a waste of space that might have been preserved for a worthwhile building.

Have to agree with everyone else this new rendering shows a structure far below the standards one would expect for such a prime location. Due to its height being comparable with the rest of the Main street buildings it will stick out like a sore thumb with its sharp contrast in architectural design. The previous design would have blended in nicely with the existing feel of the street, this is just going to be a dead spot a fear with its cold dark drab exterior.

Wow, what a plain generic building. :mellow: The CCC shouldn't just slap together a building so they can have a couple of cranes in the skyline at the same time. Like bluff said, they should just leave the hole in the ground until something nice comes along. Either that or stick a nice tower on the garage.

Wow, that thing is sure ugly.

It looks like a medical records building in some hospital complex or a college dormitory. Would fit better way out east on Poplar where it would just fade into the background unnoticed.

Okay, everyone says they're building it cheap, but cheap doesn't necessarily have to be ugly I don't think.

Anyway, no doubt that what Henry Turley wants, Henry Turley gets.

Yes, very ugly. I was willing to give Turley the benefit of the doubt. I thought the original rendering was very nice and would fit in very well on that part of Main. However, this newest rendering is absolutely horrible. Hopefully, someone at the CCC will realize that and require something more in line with the orginal and more in line with existing buildings/architecture on Main.

Building height doesn't matter to me, but I do strongly want to see a building that appears to be of high quality of material and architecture and one that aesthically compliments and/or positively changes/diversifies its environment. I think the original did that. The new one changes and diversifies, but it sure isn't positively.

Yes, very ugly. I was willing to give Turley the benefit of the doubt. I thought the original rendering was very nice and would fit in very well on that part of Main. However, this newest rendering is absolutely horrible. Hopefully, someone at the CCC will realize that and require something more in line with the orginal and more in line with existing buildings/architecture on Main.

Building height doesn't matter to me, but I do strongly want to see a building that appears to be of high quality of material and architecture and one that aesthically compliments and/or positively changes/diversifies its environment. I think the original did that. The new one changes and diversifies, but it sure isn't positively.

I agree with what everybody else has said. The new design of the building makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

It would've been more suitable to put that building out in the South End area than there.

What were they thinking when they decided to make the building look generic as hell?

Well Turly really slipped one past the ole CCC on this. I am sure that he promised them something really nice, pushed a little money under the table, and this is what he finally decided on.

Turly is such a load of b.s. There was a nice list of people that were willing to put a worthy building in its place and the CCC chose turly over them all. This right here really shows the scars in our city leadership. When people will quite playing the good-ole boy system we might be able to get somewhere in this city.

I am sad to this project ending up this way. I think turly is very selfish. He wanted make a buck and that is what he is doing.

Well, it looks like we're all complaining about it, we all don't like it. Now what? What's the next step? Is there a media person with an appreciation for architectural quality and urbanity that we can contact? Who will paint a negative opinion piece about it? This lot is too valuable for THAT. Even the prior design would be tolerable next to this, despite its squat profile.

The Landmarks Commission may be the blame for this one. They made them go back to the drawing board 3 times before they would approve their design. I believe their big concern was the balconies and keeping the look inline with the rest of the neighborhood. This is the end result.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived