"Cool Cities"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my money Denver. I hear more about Fort Collins and Boulder from... you know... people who are trying to prove how cool they are by drinking trendy microbrews in trendy city's. My city is very not cool. In fact, if you are from here, you are treated as a leper.

I'd argue Denver is the only city in Colorado period, actually... but what do I know.

• 3 weeks later...

In Georgia I would have to say it's Atlanta without a doubt. I noticed a few people have posted Athens. Athens is ok, but once college gets out for the summer it's dead. Atlanta has everything best concerts, amusment parks and entertainment, major league sports teams, best nightlife. Plus Atlanta has lost that whole southern image and is more of an international city. Theres no other city in Georgia that can compete with ATL

• 1 month later...

in tennessee, i wouldn't really consider one city the coolest. they each have their own charm. memphis is laid back cool, nashville is young professional cool, chattanooga is family and outdoor cool, and knoxville is tailgating cool. i've lived in nashville all my life, but each of these cities has a special place in my heart. i'm just glad i live in a state with such a diverse culture throughout the 3 great divisions. makes me proud to be a tennessean.

I would have to agree with you for Florida. St. Pete is turning from a dead abandoned city to a cool, hippie, organic vibe. Downtown Orlando has a large population with 20,000 people within 1 mile of the CBD and 120,000 within a 3 mile radius and is the fastest growing part of town, very diverse and Orlando has become very popular for theater and has the nations largest Fringe Festival and lots of art galleries. Tampa has become much more fun the past few years, more of a New Orleans type party town. Orlando also has a huge Latin vibe to it, with the countries largest reggaeton music scene.

Now that I'm back in my home state of Massachusetts, I have to say that Cambridge is probably the "coolest" city in the Bay State. Boston's got it's cool neighborhoods, and I'm a big fan of Northampton, but for me, Cambridge is where it's at.

If there is a "cool" city n Indiana, Bloomington would have to be it. It has Indiana University, so most of its population are either students or employees of the university.

Indianapolis is so not cool...there is no decent mass transit here -- few buses, let alone trains -- and the fav pastime of the residents here is complaining about how "high" their taxes are...property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, whatever. These people haven't a clue what high taxes really are, because most of them have never lived anywhere except here. Yet, they also complain about how poor the city services are, such as pot holes not being filled, the conditions of the streets, the police, and you name it whatever else they can think of. They have yet to figure out that good governmental service require money, which is paid by...TAXES! :angry:

Like everyone else, I stated my opinion. The question posed by this thread asks for opinions. I think it's stating the obvious that when someone asks for "what's cool?" they're asking for an opinion.

What are the cool cities in my state? I'm from Ohio. Ohio has none. That's my opinion, at least with regards to large cities.

My guess is that my opinion is rather mainstream. If we were to take a nationwide poll of the top cool cities, no Ohio city would make the top 20. That's my opinion.

If someone thinks Columbus is "cool", great. I disagree, but great. I could probably think of 40 cooler cities, but that's just me.

• 1 month later...

Depends on how you're treating the word "cool".

Texas--

For cool by temperature standards, probably Amarillo

For cool by vibe and general likability, probably Austin

For city with the most soul, I'm gonna go with Galveston. But Marfa comes in with a close second.

Arkansas--

Temperature-- Fayetteville

Vibe-- Fayetteville

Soul-- Either Helena or Hot Springs

If there is a "cool" city n Indiana, Bloomington would have to be it. It has Indiana University, so most of its population are either students or employees of the university.

Indianapolis is so not cool...there is no decent mass transit here -- few buses, let alone trains -- and the fav pastime of the residents here is complaining about how "high" their taxes are...property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, whatever. These people haven't a clue what high taxes really are, because most of them have never lived anywhere except here. Yet, they also complain about how poor the city services are, such as pot holes not being filled, the conditions of the streets, the police, and you name it whatever else they can think of. They have yet to figure out that good governmental service require money, which is paid by...TAXES! :angry:

Like seemingly most everyone else, they have their 20 most livable (big international) city list, in order: Munich, Copenhagen, Zurich, Tokyo, Vienna, Helsinki, Sydney, Stockholm, Honolulu, Madrid, Melbourne, Montreal, Barcelona, Kyoto, Vancouver, Auckland, Singapore, Hamburg, Paris, Geneva.

---------------------

williamgeorge

South Carolina Drug Addiction

• 1 year later...

Some cool cities in California (abridged version):

Santa Monica

Los Angeles

Hollywood

Malibu

Laguna Beach

Carpinteria

Santa Barbara

San Luis Obispo

Morro Bay

Carmel

Monterey

Santa Cruz

San Francisco

Berkeley

Oakland

Davis

Petaluma

Healdsburg

Mendocino

Fort Bragg

Arcata

In Washington State everyone says Seattle....but I think Tacoma is totally underrated. For a city it's size it has so many museums and art glass exhibits you would be amazed. And the people in Tacoma aren't pretentious and plastic like people in Seattle with their boring "seattitude".

In Florida I thought Gainesville and Orlando were pretty cool. Lotsa arts, music, and sports in both cities.

Archived