Steel Mill interested in locating in Northwest Tennessee [Lake County]

Rural King

The Union City Messenger has reported that a manufacturer of rolled stell is interested in the possibility of building a $250 million dallar facility to the $20 million dollar Cates Landing Riverport and Industrial Park under construction in Lake County. The plant would employ upwards of 500 individuals - drawn primarily from Lake, Obion, and Dyer Counties- with a pay scale of $18-20 dollars an hour, which would rank it as one of the highest wage facilities in the region. The facility itself would need approximately 500 acres and the process is already underway by Lake County to secure the needed property.

The corporation interested in locating a mill in Lake County has with-held its name, but already operated two mills in the U.S., and is looking to locate a third mill in either Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, or Louisiana. Osceola, Arkansas has already assembled an incentive package worth $60 million dollars to lure the operation there, which has prompted local officials from Northwest Tennessee to urge that TDEC to promptly look into offering a competative incentive package for the Cates Landing site.

Lake County Mayor Macie Roberson stated he the county was busy developing the water and electric infrastructure for the site, while the state was working on developing the road infrastructure. He also stated he believed they would know something definite by January 1st of next year.

This would be a huge development for NWTN if Lake County could land this facility as far as employment and economic growth are concerned. It could also prompt other related industries to look at West Tennessee as the duel economic drivers of the Cates Landing Riverport and I-69 open up the region to further development. Good things finally seem to be happening once again in NWTN after years of decline due to NAFTA decimating the local textile base and drawing away substantial portions of the industrial base. Its been a long wait but things are finally turning back around with new commercial, retail, and industrial developments popping up almost weekly it seems across the region!!! I hope in the coming years that NWTN long stagnant population growth will start to pick up and that some of the region's counties can start seeing some real growth again.

On a side note : Several other industries, including ethanol operations, have expressed interest in the Cates Landing site. So the potential of the site goes beyond this one industry.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Osceola, Arkansas has already assembled an incentive package worth $60 million dollars to lure the operation there, which has prompted local officials from Northwest Tennessee to urge that TDEC to promptly look into offering a competative incentive package for the Cates Landing site.

I hate to be pessimistic here, but do we actually think that the Tennessee government will help draw this plant to West Tennessee. Our state is the worst state in the union at spreading its wealth, and if we are going to get this or any big manufacturer we are going to have to do it ourselves...ie..Toyota, where'd they go???Ford in the early 80's...where'd they go???

I say this with good experience; I've lived in West, Middle and East Tennessee. If West Tennesseans really knew how uneven the tax dollars in this state were spread out as it pertained to Highways, Bridges, and Schools etc...It would demand today to be removed from this state. The rest of this state would rather we were not over here, and we all know that this is the truth...

BTW, I had a bad day today, so please excuse me...

Archived