Planning a Trip - Need Help!

PenzRY1

Hello everyone! I am planning my first trip to NJ and I need a little advice. I am travelling in February from Orlando to see some Spice Girls concerts at the new Prudential Center & the Izod Center; but I am finding it mindboggling to pick a hotel. I am getting a rental car, but since it is going to be FEBRUARY and possibly very SNOWY ::burr:: and I haven't seen snow in the last 3 years, I want to do as little driving as possible! (I grew up and lived in CT but moved away a few years ago) I would like a hotel near the PATH train or PENN Station so that I can hopefully take the train to the Prudential Center, and avoid any traffic. I don't really want to spend more than $200 a night. Can anyone make any suggestions? Anything that is relatively close to the two venues?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ryan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sheraton Meadowlands is directly across Route 3 from the Izod Center (it's Continental Airlines Arena now, btw) and they have rooms for under 200. There are a couple of Residence Inn types of hotels in that vicinity too, and a Renaissance Hotel (but I think that chain can get pricey). The only problem with hotels near Continental Arena is that you'd have to drive to both venues.

In downtown Newark there's a Hilton hotel that should have things available under 200. It's within walking distance to Prudential Center and Newark Penn Station. I don't know of any other major hotels in downtown Newark, but there are a TON near the airport, and some of them may offer shuttle services to Penn Station. The only problem with taking transit from Newark to the Meadowlands is that the rail link to the Meadowlands Sports Complex isn't constructed yet so the train isn't a great option for getting to Continental Arena. There may be bus services available between Newark Penn and the Sports Complex. Check out the itenerary planner on njtransit.com here: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv...nnerItineraryTo

The output I got for a hypothetical trip at 10:20 AM gave me this itenerary...

Itinerary from NEWARK PENN STATION to CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA (IZOD CENTER)

Itinerary

Depart : PENN STATION BUS LANES (07102)(On 76 Hackensack Local) 10:25 A.M.

Arrive : HACKENSACK ST. & PATERSON AVE. 11:09 A.M.

Transfer

Depart : PATERSON AVE. & HACKENSACK ST.(On 164 NewYork via Meadowlands) 11:16 A.M.

Arrive : W END PEDEST. OVRPS TO CONTINETAL ARENA 11:21 A.M.

Walk 0.88 mile NE to CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA (IZOD CENTER)

REGULAR FARE CHILD/SENIOR/DISABLED FARE

Bus Fare $2.15 Bus Fare $1.00

Rail Fare $0.00 Rail Fare $0.00

Transfer Fee $0.65 Transfer Fee $0.30

Total $2.80 Total $1.30

So it would take an hour to make this trip on the bus with a transfer. I think wherever you stay you're going to have to drive to CAA. So if you stay within close or transitable distance to Newark Penn/Prudential Center you'd be OK. (now if it takes an hour to get out of CAA after a concert, maybe the bus is actually a good idea, IDK).

Archived