Work In Progress

bigboyz05

The first building of Texas A&M University-Texarkana's five phase multiplex campus is on course for a spring completion date. The library which is the icon building, will sit just left of the engineering college. The icon building is the signature building of the campus. It will be 4 stories tall. The rest of the buildings will be 3 stories. The main entrance to the science building is a large indoor lobby with 2 cylinder entry points called canisters of light. It is designed to allow natural light to stream through much of the building. The building will cover 42,000 square feet. A number of different functions will be planned for the lobby along with a conference room and a tiered classroom. The classroom at 1,000 square feet will seat 60 students each having a computer. It will also serve as lecture hall and media room. The science building will have multiple classrooms to provide classes to aspiring electrical, mechanical and computer engineers. School officials said the school will eventually expand to the east and be accessible from Summerhill Road. University officials have put an optimistic date of 2010 for accepting freshman and sophomore students for enrollment. Currently the school only accepts juniors and seniors. When the 5th phase is completed, the campus will have approximately 1.4 million square feet of classroom, library, dormitory and physical plant space. A student union, fine arts building and a convocation center are also slated for the completed campus. There are also plans for 73 acres of parking and 30 acres of recreation and athletic fields.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first building of Texas A&M University-Texarkana's five phase multiplex campus is on course for a spring completion date. The library which is the icon building, will sit just left of the engineering college. The icon building is the signature building of the campus. It will be 4 stories tall. The rest of the buildings will be 3 stories. The main entrance to the science building is a large indoor lobby with 2 cylinder entry points called canisters of light. It is designed to allow natural light to stream through much of the building. The building will cover 42,000 square feet. A number of different functions will be planned for the lobby along with a conference room and a tiered classroom. The classroom at 1,000 square feet will seat 60 students each having a computer. It will also serve as lecture hall and media room. The science building will have multiple classrooms to provide classes to aspiring electrical, mechanical and computer engineers. School officials said the school will eventually expand to the east and be accessible from Summerhill Road. University officials have put an optimistic date of 2010 for accepting freshman and sophomore students for enrollment. Currently the school only accepts juniors and seniors. When the 5th phase is completed, the campus will have approximately 1.4 million square feet of classroom, library, dormitory and physical plant space. A student union, fine arts building and a convocation center are also slated for the completed campus. There are also plans for 73 acres of parking and 30 acres of recreation and athletic fields.

Why, why, why do they want to build 73 acres of parking!? If they're building a new University campus they need to build parking decks if they feel they need that much parking.

The rest of it sounds good, but damn it build multi-level parking rather than a sprawling Wal-Martish sea of parking.

Yeah. I always thought the new university would be better being built closer in town than so far out on the outskirts. Also like you said the amount of sprawl going north is getting out of hand. I was on Richmond about a week ago and was stuck in a traffic jam stretching from I-30 all the way to Moore's Lane. It took me nearly 40 min to go that stretch. I remember when there hardly was traffic in town now because of the growth and everyone wanting to build north of I-30 it's become nightmarish.

Archived