Midtown Developments

Will Barrett

I noticed this morning on my way in that work is being done on the buidling next door to Fresh Slices. It looks like there might be as many as four storefronts in there. A friend of mine mentioned that the Irish guys who own Celtic Crossing (who were his landlords at the time) were looking to redevelop that building at one time.

My dream businesses for that spot would be: a used/new bookstore with coffee (like Burke's more or less)

an ice cream place

a bakery (with good whole grain bread as well as pastries and such)

a cozy pub with simple good food that I could bring the kids to on saturdays and enjoy a pint or two while they play board games and drink hot chocolate

The website for Cafe Eclectic on McLean across from Snowden is up at cafeeclectic.net. I've peaked into their window a few times and it looks like its going to be a fantastic spot. I emailed the owner who said that they don't have a definite timeline at this point, but are working on it. I asked if they were going to have a bike rack installed and she said that they are looking to get as many of their furnishings as they can used.

The bay next to them is up for lease as well. At one time I heard an ice cream place was going there, but that may have been a rumor (it seems like a natural fit with the school across the street).

Across faxon from cafe eclectic, the former service station is being renovated into several bays that look like they would be good small office spaces. Next to rivalto interiors a little stained glass studio has opened up.

Over on Cleveland, a new salon has opened in one of the bays down from the JW Hall. I don't know if the Jehovah's Witnesses have finished work on the old crosstown theater is completed, but what they have done so far looks fantastic. They had people living in trailers all summer long working on it (I would imagine for free). I always say with two gay bars, a JW Hall, a Vietnamese pool hall, a Lebanese restaurant, a faux-Egyptian antiques store, and a hot wings place, Cleveland from N. Parkway to Poplar is the most diverse street in town.

Lots of stuff going on in the Evergreen/VECA section of Midtown.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed this morning on my way in that work is being done on the buidling next door to Fresh Slices. It looks like there might be as many as four storefronts in there. A friend of mine mentioned that the Irish guys who own Celtic Crossing (who were his landlords at the time) were looking to redevelop that building at one time.

Over on Cleveland, a new salon has opened in one of the bays down from the JW Hall. I don't know if the Jehovah's Witnesses have finished work on the old crosstown theater is completed, but what they have done so far looks fantastic. They had people living in trailers all summer long working on it (I would imagine for free). I always say with two gay bars, a JW Hall, a Vietnamese pool hall, a Lebanese restaurant, a faux-Egyptian antiques store, and a hot wings place, Cleveland from N. Parkway to Poplar is the most diverse street in town.

Lots of stuff going on in the Evergreen/VECA section of Midtown.

Archived