Crosland looking to invest heavily in midstate land

smeagolsfree

I am sure things have been put on hold for a while with the development in this area. I think things may have been put behind at least 3 years. I would love to see this area developed and I think that Crosland has about 40 some odd parcels. Seems as if I remember hearing that number somewhere at a forum meet.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope the movie theatre and the supposed Urban Target are around 10th and Jo Johnston - as opposed to 11th and Charlotte -- much easier walking distance for us :yahoo:

You can have the movie theatre at 10th & Jo Johnston, if we can have the Urban Target at 11th & Charlotte ;)

Though I'd love to have a movie theater this close to home, I have to be skeptical about its success, at least until there's alot more residential development around. I wonder what would have to happen to prevent it from becoming another Fountain Square, where crime (or at least the perception of crime) kept alot of people away. Maybe a more independent-film minded cineplex, ala Angelica Film Center or a Sundance Cinema, but I wouldn't want anything to hurt the Belcourt.

I am very interested to see what plans there are for 10th and Jo Johnston. I would seem to be a difficult area to develop, being in the middle of those three railroads coming together overhead.

You can have the movie theatre at 10th & Jo Johnston, if we can have the Urban Target at 11th & Charlotte ;)

Oh fine then, I'll meet you your Urban Target @ 11th and Charlotte and raise you one movie theater on 10th and Jo Jo!

Truth is - I'm just grateful for thoughtful development coming in there (dog-willing, it'll be thoughtful!)..

:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like this property is being rezoned from IR to CF. I hope something good goes in there.

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/pdfs/meetings/2009/090108a.pdf

Here's the latest that I'm aware of.. our HOA president had a conversation w/Bill Barkley from Crosland and here's what she had to share..

David

----------------------------------

Hi there,

This is to catch everyone up on what is happening with Crosland and all the development they have planned from 10Th to the Interstate and from Jo Johnson to Charlotte.

Back in March I sent out an email telling about a conversation I had with Bill Barkley from Crosland about zoning variance for the area that is just on the other side of US Tobacco.

Crosland has been buying all available property between us and the interstate and Charlotte Ave. They are hoping to develop the area with retail, residences and something close to a little Hillsboro Village area. They needed to zone those two small lots to CF (core frame) instead of light industrial. They didn't seek us out but were quite willing to share their vision of the area. He was very nice and felt like it would just breeze through. With his assurance that they were on point, I didn't bother to go to the variance hearing.

As planned it sailed through the zoning committee. When it came time to go to the City Council, it was another matter. The day before the hearing, US Tobacco called Council Person Erica Gilmore and told her they had some issues with it [who knew? -jdf] and asked her to defer bringing it up before the Council. Needless to say the lights on Crosland's radar screen started burning brightly.

I was invited to a meeting at Crosland last Thursday. They now need our help to get this before the City Council. [The HOA board] met briefly with Ms. Gilmore this morning at the Goodwill Ground Breaking. It appears that US Tobacco is concerned that changing the zoning to CF (Core Frame) might lead to more residential development on those two lots. They feel if more people move in the area, they might have to deal with noise complaints and complaints about smell making it harder for them to produce their products.

While Ms. Gilmore thinks the Crosland development would be great for our area, she still has to pass it before the Council. There is a public hearing on the zoning variance on May 5 at 6:00. The signs are posted on the property. They need us to show up and let the City Council know we really want this rezoning to take place to allow Crosland to proceed with their plans.

With the economy in the state its in, right now all their plans are on hold but before they can put it out to any investors they have to have the zoning in place. These are the same people who have developed Terrazo and other properties in the Gulch. They would like to extend the Gulch to our area. It will take a good showing from us at the meeting given that we are the closest neighbors. Please make plans to attend this meeting. [doubt I'll be able to attend, but will send along a letter of support -jdf]

On another note, at the Goodwill ground breaking this morning, Ireland 28 was represented by [the HOA board + one other resident]. Goodwill did recognize Ireland 28 was represented and made a comment thanking us for our support of their new building especially since we would be the ones to put up with the inconvenience of construction on the new building. The ceremony was nice, short and cold.

Interesting info..

I can kinda understand where US Tobacco is coming from. Of course, i would love to see a little Hillsboro Village there. Hopefully everyone can come together on some middle ground and work together to develop this area.

Interesting info..

I can kinda understand where US Tobacco is coming from. Of course, i would love to see a little Hillsboro Village there. Hopefully everyone can come together on some middle ground and work together to develop this area.

I see UST's point, too -- my opinion (fwiw) is that they were here first - anybody that moves in ought to be aware they're moving into an urban industrial kind of area.. we think it's just part of the fabric of the community. Frankly, I don't notice the smell and we love the "noise" -- call it the heartbeat of the city :) I hope UST's concerns are overblown..

Good point jdavidf. If the smell and noise are not too bad then it is part of the urban fabric. Where my parents live and I grew up in South Nashville there are at least 4 fire stations, a hospital, the Metro Police South Precinct, a train yard, airport flight paths, and a couple of very busy roads and intersections (Nolensville Pk, Harding Pl, and Edmonson Pk). The noise just becomes background noise and you get use to it.

Good point jdavidf. If the smell and noise are not too bad then it is part of the urban fabric. Where my parents live and I grew up in South Nashville there are at least 4 fire stations, a hospital, the Metro Police South Precinct, a train yard, airport flight paths, and a couple of very busy roads and intersections (Nolensville Pk, Harding Pl, and Edmonson Pk). The noise just becomes background noise and you get use to it.

I'll never forget when we first moved here (from Donelson - Briley Parkway AND flight paths - oh no!) almost 5 years ago, our first thought was "how in the world are we going to get used to the noise?"

About a month later, we went to visit my sister's family in S.E. Missouri.. they lived in a really nice house on the edge of town, in a nice subdivision. It was So.Freaking.Quiet! We'd go out to the patio to smoke a cigarette and ended up actually whispering to each other -- thinking somebody was going to hear us! :rolleyes:

Now when we're out of town, we can't wait to get back to our new neighborhood and the soothing sounds (sirens and occasional gunfire notwithstanding, of course!)

• 1 year later...

The same problem you are having in Nashville with Crosland is happening in many parts of the southeast! IMO Crosland should sell the property they have been sitting on immediately to a developer that has the money to develop the land! Obviously Crosland is in more trouble than they let off! Here is two articles about Crosland's troubles from Charlotte, NC and the Raleigh, NC newspapers!

http://www.newsobser...rylink=misearch

http://www.charlotte...crossroads.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Crosland is buying land once again in the North Gulch area. Is this the land where the Oriental market is, across from Greyhound?

1100 Charlotte ave, 0.4 acres.

It sure is.. been wondering how long it would be.. this sure bodes well for the area

David

Archived