Arcadian Residences & Resort

Neo

It looks like the immediate Concord Mills area will be getting Concord's first high-rise residential tower. I ran across the site plan permit today and did some investigating and the website for the project is already up with renderings, floor plans, etc:

http://arcadianresorts.com/building.asp

galleryPic_05.jpg

galleryPic_04.jpg

The project will be built at Speedway Blvd & John Q. Hammons Drive

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palm trees!? No seriously, this is great news for Concord and one can only hope thsat this is the beginning of something great for the city of Concord and an area that has been under fire for not having better designed pedestrian oriented spaces. Good find, Neo, I'm surprised there hasn't been anything said on it until now.

I do like the roof design with the open spaces and plant life, as well as the viewing deck.

EDIT: It does say there will be on site retail.

The Palm Trees shouldn't be a problem. There are several varieties that can live where the temp even drops below zero. Fan palms can grow pretty tall, although the ones in the pics are probably not the variety we'll see at this development. I doubt the person who did the renderings knows or cares much about palm varieties...probably just place holders to give an idea of the final product.

I love palm trees and really hope they go through with this type of landscaping...

wow, i really don't know what to make of that area. It has so much potential, but it has already been ruined by the lack of infrastructure. Sometimes I think it's a lost cause and then developments like the convention center, great wolf, and now this tower completely spin my mind. I really wish they would just build a few connector roads here and there.

Yeah- palm trees can grow here, the same ones that are in Columbia, SC, which are similar to the ones pictured in that picture. There was a great article about palm trees in Charlotte in the observer a few months ago and how a researcher at UNCC began the quest of growing, raising, and planting them here some 25+ years ago. There is a new apartment complex that has these types of palms outside up here in University City. BTW- I love palm trees!

Wow, there is alot going on in the immediate Concord Mills area.

With this tower, Great Wolf Lodge, the Embassy Suites hotel expansion, two more separate hotels, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, widening of Speedway Blvd, Christenbury, and who knows what else, construction will be non-stop for along time.

But yet still no Wachovia or Harris Teeter.

Anyway, I really like this building and its palm trees.

I like the palm trees a lot too. Is there a timetable for construction? Have any permits been approved?

The site plan permit was just submitted and there is roughly 30k sq. ft. of the project that is waiting for planning and zoning commision approval which won't come until next month. If this is indeed a serious project I would wager construction would start in the 2nd quarter of 2008. Looks like the Residence Inn has already started grading and prelim construction.

With this tower, Great Wolf Lodge, the Embassy Suites hotel expansion, two more separate hotels, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, widening of Speedway Blvd, Christenbury, and who knows what else, construction will be non-stop for along time.

I would wager that with all of the high-end housing that has been built past Derita Rd. (Christenbury Farms) you will see a Harris Teeter being built soon in one of the four corners of Derita/Concord Mills Blvd. I would also imagine a couple of bank branches will be built since this area is severely lacking this which has confused me due to the nature of shoppers and the huge draw of the mall nearby.

Anyway, I really like this building and its palm trees.

Does anybody think this high-rise will spark other residential high-rises in the area?

I really doubt it considering how sprawled this area is. I'm amazed that this high-rise is actually planned considering the already congested area, one of which contains next to nothing in pedestrian ameneties. This area will always be automobile oriented unfortunately unless something really drastic changes for the remaining undeveloped areas (which are sparse along this immediate corridor).

It is interesting though that this will end up being a mini-skyline in a couple of years with the completion of the second Embassy Suites tower and this residential building (not counting the existing low/mid-rise hotels already in existance and more slated for construction). I would never have guessed the immediate Concord Mills area to go vertical like this.

^ I agree... high-rise construction almost seems like an aesthetic choice in that area rather than a pratical consideration. I think at best we might end up with a Ballantyne-type situtation there, with a handful of highrises giving the appearance of a "town center" but no actual urban activity taking place. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more towers pop up, but really it won't make much difference considering they're isolated behind long driveways and parking lots.

Well, simply put. These buildings are being built down the end of Bruton Blvd that I had only a week ago said would be the perfect start to turning this area back around. IF LRT was somehow/someway built along this corridor, it is possible that this could become a trend on what remains of the open land.

Also, I thought they were just expanding the number suites by adding a wing to Embassy Suites a la University Hilton. I didn't realize it would be a whole new tower. I can't imagine the need for that just yet.

Well, simply put. These buildings are being built down the end of Bruton Blvd that I had only a week ago said would be the perfect start to turning this area back around. IF LRT was somehow/someway built along this corridor, it is possible that this could become a trend on what remains of the open land.

Also, I thought they were just expanding the number suites by adding a wing to Embassy Suites a la University Hilton. I didn't realize it would be a whole new tower. I can't imagine the need for that just yet.

Of course it would be a long time before this would happen, if it would happen, and this is only one, two towers with Embassy, on the bandwagon at this point; still a long way to go. Either way, by the city approving vertical towers like this, and rezoning some land for mixed use, having retail/residential/office, it could only help the sprawling areas of this area of Concord and hopefully help the city walk in a new direction.

What new direction? The only difference between this and a country-club subdivision is that this tower takes up less space. Otherwise it doesn't appear to offer anything to the surrounding area.

Again, what "centers" are we talking about? A bunch of towers set back behind parking lots and long driveways are not any more accessible to train riders than the mall is currently. Even if a dozen of these popped up, it would still be a horrible place to try and rely and public transit.

^ This is true, and I'm willing to reserve judgment until we see final plans, but Ballantyne has taught me not to expect much improvement from individual projects or even individual developers. Unless a comprehensive plan is put in place, a highrise here or there makes virtually no difference.

What really would need to happen is for that whole area to develop a "Main Street" district convenient to the huge CM/LMS interchanges -- perhaps in the downtown district, perhaps via new development. Either way, there should at least be the option in Concord to built a luxury hotel, condo or department store that is built to serve pedestrians at street level. With the current infrastructure around I-85, that's basically impossible.

My wife and I passed by yesterday and we noticed a sign saying "coming soon" and a rendering of this building. I'm a bit confused though, I was under the impression that it would be going on the same side as the Embassy Suites and the host of other developments in front of it, but the sign is situated on the other side of the road, where the camp grounds are for the race track. The sign is across from John Q Hammond drive for anyone interested in seeing it in person.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so now I am thoroughly confused as well. I was driving up by Concord Mills the other day and there is construction all over the place on Speedway (errr... Bruton) Blvd beyond the dealerships in the area that I suspected this building would go. I didn't think that they would have already started on this project yet. There was a great deal of construction up by the convention center and also a lot across Bruton Blvd on the huge hill behind the Harley dealership strip. What exactly is all this construction for? Is it just the hilton and embassy expansion, or is this building already under construction as well? Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't have the chance to drive down to see the sign so I have no idea.

Also, I came across the prelim. plans for "The Strip at Concord" on the Independent Tribune website:

post-10623-1199860615_thumb.jpg

It appears they are planning on including noise reduction structures after all and building the larger grandstands on the side of the residences.

post-10623-1199860615_thumb.jpg

Archived