Charleston, SC....The Low Country

bobliocatt

Charleston is a wonderful, active, and beautiful historic southern coastal city. I was very impressed to see the amount of growth and industrial activity taking place in the city. BTW, the new US 17 bridge is going to provide beautiful views of the area, when its completed. Anyway, here are some pics around Charleston.

new construction

medical-center.jpg

Charleston's tallest

tallest-tower.jpg

a highrise on Broad Street

broad-street-highrise.jpg

sidewalk activity on Meeting Street

sidewalk.jpg

King Street

king-calhoun.jpg

king-2.jpg

king-1.jpg

saks.jpg

Meeting Street

street-performer.jpg

meeting-street.jpg

meeting-church.jpg

Charleston Place Hotel

charlestonplace.jpg

Bubba Gump Seafood

bubba-gump.jpg

Bay Street (French Quarter)

bay-street.jpg

Charleston Aquarium

aqua.jpg

The Battery

battery-2.jpg

The Battery

battery-1.jpg

Tradd Street

tradd-street.jpg

Waterfront Park

waterfront-park.jpg

Rainbow Row

rainbow-row2.jpg

The Market

market.jpg

Church Street

church-street.jpg

an abandoned industrial building at the old Naval Station

navy.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely beautiful place! It's been a long time since I've been there...I live pretty close too, maybe a 4 hour drive or possibly a little longer. Thanks for the pics, the city is looking great!

Very nice !

I have some distant roots in Charleston (my great-great-great grandparents moved from Charleston to Tuscaloosa in the 1820s & I think their home in downtown Charleston is possibly still there), but it's a cool city to visit for the historic vibe, in general. When I visited Charleston, I stayed in the suburb of Summerville, a very pleasant place with antebellum mansions and gardens.

All of those old coastal cities have that groovy old dense vibe to them, such as New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, St. Augustine, and to a lesser extent (mostly because they have less money & tourism, and therefore have been less able to preserve what they once had) Mobile and Pensacola.

The "Lowcountry cuisine" in Charleston was excellent, also !

^I came across several condo projects under construction in the core of Charleston. There was also a Piggly Wiggly grocery store being built. It was also pretty easy to point out things that had been built since I had last visited the city about 4 years ago. These things include the new bridge, several restaurants, condos & apartments, roof top bars & dining areas, a large book & music store, and an old warehouse that has been turned into a 24 hour Harris Teeter grocery store.

As far as the suburbs go, Mount Pleasant is booming along the I-526 corridor and I noticed a lot of new chain stores and shopping centers in North Charleston. So the area is definately growing.

AMAZING SET!!!

When I was in Charleston I snapped a photo in this exact spot and the exact scene...amazing!

battery-1.jpg

One thing I can say about Charleston. For a small city, it has the happening night life of a big city. Historic Charleston has a similar feel to the French Quarter in New Orleans. Historic Charleston also reminds you of some parts of San Fransico and Europe.

Sorry I didn't have time to comment more earlier. Were these pics taken during Spoleto? I know Charleston is a crowded place, but there are alot more people there then normal.

Those are some of the best pictures of Charleston I've seen in a while. I'm going to have to borrow some for my background :)

Great pics, and thanks for the tour! Charleston looks like a great city. It's on my "list of places to visit" although I might not get there for a while, since there are way too many cities I need to see.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the Ocala thing either. When I think of Charleston I think of Savanah for some reason, but certainly not Ocala! I've not been to Ocala, but from what I've seen, it's all newer suburbs.

Definitely not Ocala. Ocala is horse country. The downtown area has some nice older victorian neighborhoods and a pleasant downtown but nothing along the lines of Charleston. Ocala isn't even the largest city in that region, that would be Gainesville.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived