Winston-Salem Residential

cityboi

Clemmons developer plans downtown W-S condos

KLBS Developers Inc., a Clemmons-based firm headed by Wayne Schowald, plans to convert the building at 102 W. Seventh St. in downtown Winston-Salem into 17 condominiums, the company said Tuesday.

The $2 million project will consist of units ranging from 850 square feet to 1,550 square feet in one- and two-bedroom layouts. It is adjacent to the Goler/Depot Street Renaissance Community Development Corp.'s $50 million revitalization effort for that neighborhood. The KLBS project, called West 7th, will also be within a short walk of the expanded Piedmont Triad Research Park on the eastern edge of downtown Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem's city council has approved zoning that would allow the project to proceed. Schowald said the condos should be ready within 18 months and would be priced starting around $120,000. There is off-the-road gated parking at the side door to the building.

"Winston-Salem is just an up-and-growing area downtown," Schowald said. "With the research park coming in, people just want to live downtown now."

The building that will house the apartments was originally built for a box-manufacturing company, he said, and was later home to plumbing and video repair companies at various times. Some of the building's brick exterior will be removed to expose the original arch windows of the building, he said.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This must be the 7th steet project Myles Away was talking about on the other forum on the ballpark thread? Good news for downtown! Goler Depot is growing fast due to the research park and offices nearby. I like how developers here are starting to restore the original facades of these buildings. We have a lot of old building facades hidden under 60's renovations. They have made some great discoveries doing these renovations. Just look at the Nash Building on 4th street! I'm excited to find out what this 7th street building originally looked like!

Yeah it is near the transit center and the bike transit center. I think its near the AmTrack connector too? I would like to see the Brown Rogers building turned into condos. That historic building still has tennants but with new windows and some inside renovations it would make a great midrise condo tower. I think it was built in 1918? Lots of detail around the windows that you just don't see anymore. There's another nice lowrise tower off Liberty near the Liberty Main split near this tower that would also make a great condo tower. I think it was built in 1914? It's right at the Arts District but I think it still has tennants. I would imagine if they were empty someone would have already renovated them into condos. Maybe in a few years their owners will throw out the tennants there and renovate them into condos?

Archived