James River Commons

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mgsports was saying that we should want those before we get another Sam's club. I agree on some but some we already have. This development will do very well I have no doubt, however it will cause even more traffic on S. Campbell. The city needs to start planning now to make Campbell 6 lanes from James River to Plainview road at least. Otherwise Campbell will be one road to avoid for good.

I think Mgsports was saying that we should want those before we get another Sam's club. I agree on some but some we already have. This development will do very well I have no doubt, however it will cause even more traffic on S. Campbell. The city needs to start planning now to make Campbell 6 lanes from James River to Plainview road at least. Otherwise Campbell will be one road to avoid for good.

• 4 months later...
Costco's are in the St. Louis area and Overland Park,KS and Lenexa,KS and two others are in KC area.

Dick's could be going in Primrose Shopping Center.

Target up by 13 and 44 would be good.

Coming Soon myabe to this Development-Wheat State Pizza

Springfield, MO - February '08

I completely agree that we need a retail center in northwest Springfield. I really think the area north of Lowe's on N. Kansas Expwy. would be a great location for some big box stores such as Target and Best Buy.

A Church who owned land on the East side of Battlefield Road sold they land to somebody develop a Shopping Center.

A Greatland or Super Target by highway 13 andd 44 would be good so would Mernards,Burlington Coat Factory,IKEA,Trader Joe's,Whole Foods,Wal-mart Neghiborhood Market,Sports Authority,another Barnes ans Noble,Sears Grand Central,Von Maur,Books A Millon and so on.

Now if they build a Mega Marshalls and TJMAXX and More they would have to close the existing ones.

Know the Columbia,MO Sams Club is really doing good but they arn't getting another one not as know of and also if a Hyper Wal-mart goes at Business 54/54 with 60 Outparcels,Apartments,Hotel and so on then old one might become a Sam's Club. Same kind of Hyper Wal-mart that went up in Washington,MO

Also if you have a Lake Home and like to shop at Franchises down then theirs more coming like to this development you might have heard of Shops of Horeshoe Bend on the new Horeshoe Bend Parkway,Slumberland Furniture by KK and 54,http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/1/2/1/121046DD-5EA6-4151-BBEA-B9B2DC187D35.pdf and so on.

A Church who owned land on the East side of Battlefield Road sold they land to somebody develop a Shopping Center.

A Greatland or Super Target by highway 13 andd 44 would be good so would Mernards,Burlington Coat Factory,IKEA,Trader Joe's,Whole Foods,Wal-mart Neghiborhood Market,Sports Authority,another Barnes ans Noble,Sears Grand Central,Von Maur,Books A Millon and so on.

Now if they build a Mega Marshalls and TJMAXX and More they would have to close the existing ones.

Know the Columbia,MO Sams Club is really doing good but they arn't getting another one not as know of and also if a Hyper Wal-mart goes at Business 54/54 with 60 Outparcels,Apartments,Hotel and so on then old one might become a Sam's Club. Same kind of Hyper Wal-mart that went up in Washington,MO

Also if you have a Lake Home and like to shop at Franchises down then theirs more coming like to this development you might have heard of Shops of Horeshoe Bend on the new Horeshoe Bend Parkway,Slumberland Furniture by KK and 54,http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/1/2/1/121046DD-5EA6-4151-BBEA-B9B2DC187D35.pdf and so on.

[/quote

Well I don't know if the land near Battlefield Road and 65 needs to have stores such as Barnes and Noble and Mega Marshalls. That is too close to the other stores. I really think some stuff needs to be located on the north side. I am thinking of something like a Zona Rosa project (Kansas City area), Branson Landing, or Pinnacle Hills Promenade (Rogers, AR) type project. This is the new trend in retail. You know there was nothing located where the Battlefield Mall is currently 50 years ago. The mall brought the people. I hope the same happens with the College Station Development. I think it would be quite ironic if the College Station Development took a lot of business from the mall, similar to what happened in the 70's when the mall practically shut down the downtown.

As far as Columbia, I think it is far too small to have a second Sam's Club. I mean the Springfield area is twice the size of the Columbia area. I think a Sam's would do well in Jefferson City though.

They would replace the existing Marshalls with a Mega Marshalls and TJAMAXX with TJMAXX and more.

Were talking about like a Grocery Store,Big Lots,MCSPORTS and so on their.

Are you from Jefferson City if yes where would you like to see a Sam's Club go their because it's getting a Mernard's/East Side Wal-mart by McCarty Road that's close to 54 and west Side that's by S. Books. Just got a Kohl's,Best Buy,Office Depot/so on and the Target expand into a Super Target.

They would replace the existing Marshalls with a Mega Marshalls and TJAMAXX with TJMAXX and more.

Were talking about like a Grocery Store,Big Lots,MCSPORTS and so on their.

Are you from Jefferson City if yes where would you like to see a Sam's Club go their because it's getting a Mernard's/East Side Wal-mart. Just got a Kohl's,Best Buy,Office Depot/so on and the Target expanding into a Super Target.

I used to live in that area. I am not aware of them expanding to a Super Target. The Target was just expanded, kind of like the Springfield Target. I think a new Walmart could be built in the west, and then the old Wal-Mart could be turned into a Sam's. I think it could be sustained. The JC metro area is a lot larger than people think. It's a 4-county metro area. It is almost as big as the Columbia metro area.

Back to Springfield though. Has construction started on the James River Commons yet? I was down that way the other day and it looked like they were doing a lot of dirt work. There will have to be a lot more stores there besides the Sam's. That is a huge lot and they are clearing a lot of land.

I haven't been down there in a while so I don't know if they have started, but I'm sure they are doing some ground work right now. I don't think the builders ever mentioned a time frame for this development either. I would imagine since the economy is so bad right now the Sam's will be done first and then the lifestyle center a year after. Thats just my guess. I've been trying to think of what would go in there retaurant wise. I'm sure there will be banks and maybe some fast/casual food places. I just really hope the city will make plans to widen Campbell to 6 lanes from JRF to at least Weaver Rd.

I have mixed feelings about the widening of Campbell. Although it is slightly needed now, I don't think it will be in the future. (1) because I have a feeling gas is going to go way up in the next couple years, and fewer and fewer people are going to be driving. (2) It won't be necessary when the Kansas Expressway extension is built someday, and also West Bypass will be extended someday.

I see your point about gas, but eventually everyone will be driving hybrid cars and who knows what else. I don't think that it will stay above 3 dollars for too long, basically until this war is done and the economy comes around...and George Bush is out of office! Springfield will still have a sprawl problem until most of the land between Springfield and the surrounding suburbs is developed. I'm actually somwhat pleased with what people around here are doing. Downtown is thriving more than ever, and doesn't look to slow down anytime soon. From all the new lofts to the LEED certifies buildings being built, our city is doing alot more than others, but at the same time we should be doing more. Who knows maybe the guys in charge of this development will step up to the plate and do some green work. We all know we cant rely on Corporate Wallmart to do that.

Now that Im done rambling on... Campbell is the main road to and from Nixa, which is rapidly growing, so the traffic will only get worse. The Kansas Exspressway extention wont be done anytime soon I can guarentee you that. If you ever drove on Campbell coming from Nixa to Springfield during the moring rush hour you would know how frustrating it is. It is simply a parking lot from 7-7:30 am.

So all normal cities that have 10 lane highways just built them for short term? I don't think so.

I see what you're saying, but if you have had the "pleasure" of dealing with south campbell around 7-8 am and 4-6 pm, there's no doubt they need to widen it to AT LEAST 6 lanes, probably 8.

Same can be said with I44 and 65, at least in the city limits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well the new sams club is open for business and has been packed every day since. My sister went there yesterday and said it was a madhouse. I'm just glad I wont ever use that sam's... I always go to the sunshine/65 location.

Archived