Another day in Paradise & a little of Toro Nagashi

Alrighty, well for Memorial Day I went over to the Main Honolulu Police Station to have a little BBQ with some of Honolulu's finest, It was such a perfect day for BBQ'n and a great start to a wonderful day. :D

Here's part of the Main Honolulu Police Station, I'm actually on top of the rest of the building, they basically turned the roof into a park.

j1.jpg

Downtown Honolulu thru the trees

j2.jpg

...and again

j4.jpg

A little of the Midtown "Kaka'ako" Skyline

j3.jpg

Octopus legs on the grill....mmmmmm ;)

j7.jpg

Hehe my little plate of food...a little mixture of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hawaiian, etc food hey I even had some Pasteles! Its normal to have a mixture of different ethnic cuisines for a bbq/pot luck in Hawaii, its just one of the many things that make it special and trully multicultural.

j8.jpg

BBQing some Kalbi (Korean short ribs)...Yum!

j7.jpg

Alright now off to Ala Moana Beach to see the Toro Nagashi Floating Lattern Ceremony one of Hawaii's many many many cultural events, btw this is my neighborhood beach I live like several blocks up from here.

j8.jpg

A little about the Toro Nagashi

ins_logo.gif

shin_main_title.jpg

The Lantern floating is a time-honored Buddhist rite originating in Japan and conducted in order to pay respects to our ancestors and comfort the spirits of the deceased. During this Toro-Nagashi, or "lantern offerings on the water," candle-lit lanterns are individually set afloat on the ocean and are said to ferry spirits "from the shore of delusion to the shore of salvation."

During the ceremony of the Toro Nagashi or "lantern offerings on the water," lanterns containing lit candles on wooden bases are set afloat.

These lanterns carry our heartfelt prayers for victims of wars, water-related accidents, natural disasters, famine and disease, as well as for our loved ones and ancestors. It is through this ceremony and the Water Consolatory Service held the day before at Shinnyo-en Hawaii that the sincere prayers of everyone are united

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know its actually pretty good but i grew up eating a lot of these different things so i'm used to it. However, i dont think there is anything that you could really compare it to, we usually slice it up and eat or add some shoyu etc :D

Archived