Louisiana State University

buckett5425

8 hours ago, dan326 said:

Can you elaborate?

They raised millions from donors to build a nutrition center.   F. King decided it was not politically expedient to spend money (even if it was donated) on something particularly nice while he was crying wolf about his budget during one of the more recent legislative sessions.    They are building something smaller and more low key despite the wishes of the foundation that raised the money and the people that donated it.    The concern is not if LSU can afford it (they can), it's that a great new facility doesn't jive with King's political ambitions.  

Regardless of how you feel about the project, thumbing your nose at the people that donate to the school is a short sighted move very clearly made by a man whose motivation is to use LSU as a political pawn to score an appointment in the next presidential administration.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2016 at 4:41 PM, greg225 said:

Construction can begin on 280-unit student housing complex near LSU South Gates        

New York-based Park 7 Group received the green light Monday to begin construction on Park 7 Apartments, a 560,442-square-foot, six-story student housing apartment complex at 222. E. Boyd Drive.

The construction permit for the $41.6 million project indicates the complex will comprise 280 units and feature three inner courtyards, a pool and party deck on the sixth floor. It will wrap around a parking garage on two sides.

Attempts to reach a representative with Park 7 Group for a construction timeline were unsuccessful by this afternoon’s deadline.

The group purchased the 2.6 acres of land outside the South Gates of LSU for roughly $9.3 million in four separate deals in May. The complex will sit across from Dantin Bruce Development’s 333 Flats development, bordered by West Parker Boulevard, East Boyd Drive, Swire Avenue and Dodson Avenue.

Park 7 Group has developed and managed a 16,000-bed student housing portfolio, according to its website. The company has previously announced Duplantis Design Group is handling the design and engineering work on the project, while Dallas-based Humphreys and Partners is the architect. https://www.businessreport.com/article/construction-can-begin-280-unit-student-housing-complex-near-lsu-south-gates

Park_7.jpg

Photo of Park 7 which is under construction.   LSU opposes the project, but it was approved and will be complete summer 2017.   This is the elevation facing Parker.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Thanks for the photo Cajun....was impressed when they first announced the project & started clearing land! This is going to dramatically change the streetscape along West Parker Blvd...Glad construction has started...nice looking development; almost looks like a slightly smaller version of the new "Standard" at the Northgates

Had my doubts this would be built after the State budget crisis threatened to doom the TOPS program; that has been fueling the student residential boom...

• 1 month later...

Forgot to mention this in BR Growth thread...didn't remember the name (Bayonne at Southshore/240-units); just knew it was next to the Crescent Condo's at University Lake...the the parking garage is in the middle of the development...the residential behind it overlooking large pond...what will go in front of the parking garage?

Some drone footage of construction site...Nothing spectacular...just something different

Construction begins on Stanford Avenue luxury apartments that'll be 'one of Baton Rouge’s finest residential rental communities' _lowres

I would be reluctant to buy a condo in multi story building I knew was wood frame unless it had historic value. Concrete has better moisture protection, fire protection, termite protection, and better acoustic properties than wood.   

Unfortunately I think there's an extreme shortage of people who know how to work with CMU or steel in Baton Rouge.   

That said, that building is in a great location and I'm sure it will be very well finished.

Edited by cajun

• 3 months later...

Rouses will do well there.   I know I'm not supposed to like Rouses because they are technically not the "Baton Rouge" store, but they do a very good job with their new stores that are built from the ground up.  

That Winn Dixie on Burbank had better start renovating now.   If you want to save money, you'll just go to that Wal Mart Neighborhood marketplace on Highland/Lee.   If you want a higher quality grocery, Rouses will be there.   Winn Dixie is vulnerable with higher prices, poor service, and an aging store with very little prepared food or space devoted to restaurants.  

47 minutes ago, dan326 said:

I don't remember this ever being announced in the news or posted but the Nicholson gateway project in currently under construction and gone vertical. Here is the pic from LSU's website.

https://sites01.lsu.edu/wp/reslife/nicholson-apartments/

gateway.PNG

Between this and the reduction in TOPS, I suspect that multi family housing development near LSU would not be a great idea for developers.   

Why spend $1000+/month to share a 4 bedroom apartment 10 minutes from campus when you could get all the same amenities and be within walking distance of class?

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, richyb83 said:

There seems to be a "Love It" or "Hate "It" with the architecture for the  Business Education Complex at LSU ...it's different for sure...do like the dark glass & the Rotunda inside looks pretty coool :shades:

DSCN1458_zpsytxdfybe.jpg

I guess the rotunda is okay but why the pillbox hat?  

4 hours ago, dan326 said:

I like it also. The complex looks like a mini Roman village.

I honestly hate it.  The configuration of the classroom and auditorium building looks like it has its back to the rest of campus.  

1 hour ago, cajun said:

Brilliant  & witty stuff there Cajun!! :lol: Enjoyed them all!!  Your on a Roll...you must be butter :silly: The motor-neurons are firing on all cylinders i see! 

It gonna be a tough job with Coach Oeaux ...but somebody has to do it! ;)   My Sign Language interpreting  skills are going to be tested lol

There is ONLY so much imaginary projects i could come up with after so many years...gets more & more difficult to fool you guys...had a few things up my sleeve to April Fools after mid-night :whistling:..but too crazy a day yesterday

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...WOW!  This 18-story Summit  residential tower is still going to be Built? Long term investment w the glut of new student housing? next to Southgate Towers....prime location! Need to see renderings :shades: This could be BR's 6th Tallest high rise...(Courthouse? ..not as many stories but abt 200'ft high)

SUMMIT at SOUTHGATE enters a Crowded Market

Summit at Southgate, a 454-unit luxury apartment project, pulled its initial construction permit last month. Developer Robert Day purchased a 44-acre tract at the intersection of Burbank Drive and Nicholson Road more than 15 years ago. A lot has changed since then.

Projects developed since Day’s acquisition include University View Condos, Walk-On’s Bistreaux & Bar, Co-Op Bookstore and many other retail and residential developments, not to mention Southgate Towers—which the Summit will be built next door to.

It’s no secret that an abundance of student housing has been built in this corridor—and even more is proposed in the coming years. My colleague Craig Davenport recently inventoried all the apartments aimed at students proposed and under construction. His findings leave no doubt there will be an oversupply that will take years for the market to absorb.

Day, however, sees the Summit as a long-range investment. His strategy is to build a better product that will capture more of the market than his competition.“We have learned a lot about the apartment market over the last 20 to 25 years and have incorporated a lot of what we have learned into this project,” Day says.

The project will include an 18-story tower and six-story parking garage with controlled access. The roof decks of both structures will house common areas with amenities including extravagant pools, outdoor patios with fire pits and a workout area.

“Not only will the units be in walking distance to the university, but the tenants will have views of the river, downtown and the LSU campus from the eighteenth floor observation deck,” Day notes.

https://www.businessreport.com/realestate/tom-cook-summit-southgate-enters-crowded-market

• 2 months later...

Next to the Crescent at University Lake  ....The 240-unit  Bayonne at Southshore nearing completion...4 floors...one less than  the 5-story Crescent that has parking deck underneath  ....   Site former One Lakeshore Place Apartments on Stanford Ave

DSCN1470.thumb.JPG.c7f7e9a0e19c366861e69c6fcd4e11f8.JPG

Park 7 (280 units) nearing completion on West Parker Blvd near the Southgate's undergoing a transformation; this pic doesn't do this massive project justice; this goes a full block back to East Boyd

DSCN1471.thumb.JPG.bd8a6adde37c2d4b0a37db14408f94c1.JPG

Nicholson Gateway project continues to go up along the West side of LSU's campus..MASSIVE...Many buildings spread out...pics dont do it justice either...never got out of the car

Near site of old Alex Box stadium

DSCN1472.thumb.JPG.40ade5615a880883ca1a8a123ec02dd0.JPG

And beyond

DSCN1473.thumb.JPG.02628de7a2a49b84f8ac64fcf93ec0e5.JPG

• Like 2