Louisiana State University

buckett5425

• 1 month later...

The business school that LSU has been working hard to collect donations for (since 1998 according to the article I have....the state committed to matching funds years ago) has broken ground and is underway. It's expected to have a massive payoff in the rankings of LSU- and you know what that means for Baton Rouge.

The LSU band hall is on it's way along with the Choppin hall expansion.....should be well underway by 2011.

Baton Rouge without a nationally recognized school isn't going to work. The school has been working hard for years to improve it's endowment to mitigate it's dependence on tax dollars for it's academic improvements.

LSU sports are only the tip of the iceberg of economic strenth that the school brings to this region. A better LSU is clearly the key to a better Louisiana.

• 3 months later...

FINALLY!

Improved Union Theater to open in time for fall

The theater will be complete enough to occupy by the beginning of the fall semester and should be completely finished following minor touches during the winter intersession. It has been closed since 2008, has undergone a complete overhaul from the poor acoustics and antiquated technology that marked the structure’s previous existence.

A decision to change the infamous orange seats in the Union was made mostly on the basis of aesthetic appeal despite the seats’ nostalgic value, Plakidas said. As the theater nears completion, Plakidas is optimistic it will be one of the highlights of the new Student Union. “The theater has turned out better than we imagined,” “The blueprints for the place just don’t do it justice.”

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/improved-union-theater-to-open-in-time-for-fall-1.2278455

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that the new band hall is under construction and realized I hadn't seen a rendering of it. Found this on The Advocate's website from back in April. It's projected to open in early 2012.

lsu+band+hall+042410.jpg

Article from The Advocate

The area where the Choppin Annex will go has been fenced off. Construction on the parking garage on Raphael Semmes Rd will begin before the year is over. It will be funny if it's finished before the Union.

Speaking of the Union. Grace and Hebert Architects have taken a decent John Desmond building and designed an abomination. Stairs that lead no where, dead end hallways, terrible fixtures and awkward detailing. Its a shame our Union couldn't be remodeled by a REAL design firm.

The only nice thing about this building is the actual interior space of the union theater, not the lobby, but the theater it's self, and thats because outside consultants were brought into design it....

I'm speechless, lol blush.gif

Lol. :lol: Sometimes I think your judgements are a bit ... um ... critical, but the last time i went in the Union, it seemed a little like a funhouse, which might be neat to explore as a less important building, but not a good look as the campus hub.

• 4 weeks later...

LSU could reopen dorm

With 1,000 students on the waiting list for dormitory space at LSU, campus officials are asking the LSU Board of Supervisors to reopen Kirby-Smith, the men's dorm closed four years ago. The dorm has been used for office space and emergency housing; at one point there were discussions about renovating it for game-day condominiums. The dormitory would require a $1.7 million renovation, which would add 360 beds for the start of the fall 2011 semester. The construction would be financed with fees and dorm-generated revenue. Supervisors will discuss the dorm's reopening at their meeting next Friday.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Anyone else notice how they decided to resurface Nicholson two weeks before the first football game? I don't know what they're thinking.

Asphalt resurfacing normally doesn't take that long, i assume they should be done within two weeks, I would hope. But this resurfacing was so desperately needed. Its one of the main thoroughfares to campus and its so embarrassing have such terrible roads. Not to mention, i drive down Nicholson everyday, and it was a nightmare on my truck!

I didn't think they were going all the way to south campus on Nicholson. They've got their hands full with all the obstacles (medians, traffic, etc).

Really should pick up the pace. The street needs sidewalks too.

and it was a nightmare on my truck!

Buckett, you drive a politically incorrect truck?

I had you figured for a sport compact...

Edited by cajun

I bought my truck in high school before I was politically correct. My conservative parents led me to believe it was okay to buy anything you want, as long as you can afford it. I now know better. However I am now stuck paying for a vehicle that i'd rather not have. Karma, I suppose....dontknow.gif

I bought my truck in high school before I was politically correct. My conservative parents led me to believe it was okay to buy anything you want, as long as you can afford it. I now know better. However I am now stuck paying for a vehicle that i'd rather not have. Karma, I suppose....dontknow.gif

Look on the bright side.....it's probably very safe, and most pickups/SUVs tend to last a long time.

My wife has a newer VW Jetta diesel. It gets great mileage, but she has no confidence in it's reliability. It breaks down constantly. We take my 10 year old Tahoe everywhere- which isn't so bad on the highway, but in town it barely gets 16 mpg.

Edited by cajun

University to increase energy efficiency

The state of Louisiana has received about $75 million in the form of an Energy Reduction Grant, with $25 million being set aside for higher education.

The University will soon be awarded the money from the state.Pitre said Facility Services is planning to complete eight projects around campus that will improve the University’s energy efficiency and save money.

The most expensive project — which costs about $1 million — will have to do with insulation on pipes that have failed or fallen apart in the utility tunnels that run underground across campus, Pitre said. “We’ll have to redo about 6,000 feet of heating and chilling lines in the tunnels,” Pitre said. “Right now we’re wasting a lot of heat.”

Pitre said the revamped insulation will save the University about $400,000 to $450,000 per year and will produce 3,300 fewer metric tons of carbon dioxide per year.

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/university-to-increase-energy-efficiency-1.2309196

From the DDD...

"Tiger Trails Transit" Links LSU to Downtown!

The LSU Tiger Trails Transit System provides a safe, convenient, and free bus service for LSU students, faculty, staff, and visitors, both on and off campus. A Downtown/LSU Vet School Route runs Monday-Friday 7AM - 5:30PM approximately every 20-30 minutes. With a total of 6 Downtown stops, the route helps to strengthen Downtown's relationship and connection with LSU. Below is a complete bus stop list for the Downtown route.

Downtown/LSU Vet School Route Click for route map

http://downtownbatonrouge.org/downloads/pdf/lsutrails_dtmap.pdf

*Downtown stops in bold

1. Vet School outbound (OB)

2. Skip Bertman - remote shuttle

3. Skip Bertman-Nicholson

4. S. Stadium-CEBA Ln. (OB)

5. Design

6. Lockett

7. Bernie Moore

8. Nicholson-Aster (OB)

9. 3rd St-North Blvd.

10. 3rd St-Florida Blvd.

11. 3rd St-North St

12. State Capitol

13. Shaw Center

14. Pastime

15. Nicholson-Aster (IB)

16. Nicholson Apts.

17. Journalism

18. Johnston

19. S. Stadium-CEBA Ln (IB)

20. Skip Bertman-remote shuttle

Downtown is the Place to be!

Tiger Trails presents a great opportunity for LSU students, faculty, staff, and visitors to conveniantly live or stay Downtown. Downtown offers residential living at its finest. From upscale loft apartments in the Arts & Entertainment District, to condos with beautiful views of the Mississippi River, to quaint cottages in one of Downtown's historic neighborhoods, Downtown can fit your needs. For visitors, Downtown also offers 2 hotels with transit stops in close proximity. The LSU Tiger Trails Transit System has also created Fixed-Rider Routes to better serve daily-use passengers with quick and efficient schedules. They run consistently on a schedule and stop only at established, pre-determined stops.

Edited by richyb83

Good find!

I think an Nicholson light rail link could have a future in Baton Rouge.

A Brightside-LSU-Downtown-North Blvd-Mid City line would work well and fit nicely in the medians of those streets. Probably low volume enough to only work with street cars, though.

Thanks cajun...

That would be really nice to see a light-rail link connecting LSU & Downtown...the Downtown-Mid City link would be fantastic as well; connect it all the way to BRCC..however there is no median on North Blvd east of the RR overpass.

yeah, but I'm sure we can part with the two center lanes on that street......