Louisiana State University

buckett5425

People exercise on bikes very often. I lived there for years and saw very few riders for anything other than obvious recreation.

Not that there is anything wrong with that,...but I'm skeptical of anyone that claims that bikes will impact traffic in any positive way in the gulf region outside of places with parking constraints, such as large universities.

Do you have any specif street names or areas? I mean if you lived in Katy then I understand but along Westheimer, in the SW, and inner loop, plenty of people travel on bikes.

Any urban setting can benefit from bicycle travel, I'm not sure why you would be skeptical. Parking constraints isn't the only factor to drive people to use bikes instead of cars.

Instead of asking someone to prove that there is no milk in a specifc glass, why don't you provide evidence that travel times and traffic have actually been reduced in Houston and Atlanta after spending public funds to create bike lanes within street right of ways.

I lived in Rice Military area, which is more dense than 90% of Baton Rouge. The few streets that were use by cyclists were towards Memorial. Virtually no use on the week days, and crowded as hell during the weekends....because they were recreational users, just like my neighborhood in Atlanta.

Edited by cajun

Instead of asking someone to prove that there is no milk in a specifc glass, why don't you provide evidence that travel times and traffic have actually been reduced in Houston and Atlanta after spending public funds to create bike lanes within street right of ways.

I lived in Rice Military area, which is more dense than 90% of Baton Rouge. The few streets that were use by cyclists were towards Memorial. Virtually no use on the week days, and crowded as hell during the weekends....because they were recreational users, just like my neighborhood in Atlanta.

So widening roads will solve all of our problems, that is the argument you are making? We all know how this story ends...

So widening roads will solve all of our problems, that is the argument you are making? We all know how this story ends...

If it makes it easier for you to disagree with a straw man, then go right ahead and build one.

Smart Growth agenda isn't "all or nothing". You can support some things and question others.

Sometimes asking the right questions help ideas evolve into a positive, well vetted agenda.

Edited by cajun

I'm just asking so I am able to give input on the topic. Calm down, Cajun.

I never said traffic times have been reduced in Houston due to bike lanes. I specifically said that they are used, in some areas relatively heavily compared to others.

In Rice Military, I assume most people you saw would exercise on bicycles in Memorial Park, that's a given, that's what the park is there for, recreation. There's not a significant amount of retail or employment in the direct area besides the nightlife on Washington Ave. Plenty of people in Neartown and Montrose use bicycles, not so much in Midtown due to lack of activity. There are numerous bikes used on Westheimer to say it's a heavily trafficked thoroughfare with no bike lanes, same goes for most of Uptown.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="buckett5425" data-cid="1248597" data-time="1355880867"><p>

Try again.</p></blockquote>

Condescension doesn't prove your point.

What exactly does posting "try again" going to accomplish other than trolling a particular poster?

Please post more substance in your arguments or don't post at all.

Edited by cajun

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Antrell Williams" data-cid="1248721" data-time="1355938577"><p>

People bike in New Orleans, a high-crime, hot and humid city.</p></blockquote>

And people bike in Baton Rouge.

Thanks Cajun. I'm surprised that his comment wasn't deleted. It was obviously an attempt to start a argument.

Thanks Cajun. I'm surprised that his comment wasn't deleted. It was obviously an attempt to start a argument.

People even bike in Prairieville.

I don't see any comment so far as an attempt to start an argument. When an argument gets out of hand, that's when I will step in as forum police. :shades:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Antrell Williams" data-cid="1248721" data-time="1355938577"><p>

People bike in New Orleans, a high-crime, hot and humid city.</p></blockquote>

Singling out one sentence out of context from a few weeks ago with a tongue and cheek rebuttal is an obvious attempt to provoke a similar response. 

So if you are going to troll a post, quote the entire post when giving your response and please include more substance in your reply or do not respond to my posts at all.

Singling out one sentence out of context from a few weeks ago with a tongue and cheek rebuttal is an obvious attempt to provoke a similar response. 

So if you are going to troll a post, quote the entire post when giving your response and please include more substance in your reply or do not respond to my posts at all.

That's the very definition of starting/bringing back a argument.

Thanks.

Personally, I think you should take his advice.

With that said, back on topic. Any further posts that don't concern LSU campus will be deleted.

• 3 weeks later...

LSU's Nicholson Drive redevelopment plan includes housing, office and retail

A proposed master plan for a $140 million to $200 million redevelopment of LSU's married student housing and the old Alex Box Stadium site has been submitted to the LSU Board of Supervisors for possible inclusion on the Feb. 1 agenda. If the plan is approved, LSU will have to decide whether to develop and manage the project itself or partner with a private developer or foundation. "We know it has great potential for a public-private partnership," says Steve Waller, director of LSU's Department of Residential Life. While the details could change, about 1,200 housing units are envisioned, mostly for students, although 89 units could be offered at market rates to LSU faculty and staff. The master plan also includes about 130,000 square feet of retail and about 110,000 square feet of offices. "We're looking at basically a mixed-use center that would be pretty much on top of the old Alex Box site that would have retail on the first floor with a plaza, and then housing above," Waller says. —David Jacobs Read the full story here.

Businessreport.com

Cook: Fairfield housing closes deal on Burbank site
Fairfield LSU Exchange LLC, a subsidiary of Fairfield Development, purchased a 122-acre site near the corner of Ben Hur Road and Burbank Drive for construction of a 900-unit student apartment project. According to Andy Batson with Beau Box Commercial Real Estate, the sale closed on Dec. 21 for $1.5 million. A large portion of the tract is wetlands. According to Batson, only about 28 acres are useable, and the rest will be reserved for wetlands mitigation and the construction of lakes. The price on the 28 useable acres works out to about $53,500 per acre. The property was sold by AFE-PAT, a Louisiana-based LLC represented by Kirk A. Patrick. AFE-PAT actually owned the entire corner of Burbank Drive and Ben Hur Road but retained a 2-acre parcel on the hard corner. Fairfield has already received approval for a Planned Unit Development, which will include the 900 aforementioned student apartments.

Businessreport.com

I wonder how many more of these "luxury student complexes" can be built before the market is over-saturated?

I wish companies would spend more time redeveloping older complexes (like what was done at Tiger Manor). $1.5 million could go a long way in updating and cleaning up and driving out crime in an area like Tigerland.

I wonder how many more of these "luxury student complexes" can be built before the market is over-saturated?

I wish companies would spend more time redeveloping older complexes (like what was done at Tiger Manor). $1.5 million could go a long way in updating and cleaning up and driving out crime in an area like Tigerland.

What? How in the world is a company expected to drive out crime? It's easier and more beneficial in the long run to build your own.

Let me rephrase. If developers were to reinvest in what already is in Tigerland, and make it a more attractive place for students to live, a potential result would be a lower crime rate. That is not to say crime would cease to exist. However as an area becomes more densely populated with those who aren't likely to commit crimes, the risk would certainly go down.

It isn't impossible to completely eliminate crime. But it is certainly possible to increase the safety of an area by making it more appealing to a higher educated and higher income person (someone less likely to commit crimes).

Just my thoughts, just would rather see money invested in what already exists, than ignore the problems and build elsewhere.

Edited by jefften10

Let me rephrase. If developers were to reinvest in what already is in Tigerland, and make it a more attractive place for students to live, a potential result would be a lower crime rate. That is not to say crime would cease to exist. However as an area becomes more densely populated with those who aren't likely to commit crimes, the risk would certainly go down.

It isn't impossible to completely eliminate crime. But it is certainly possible to increase the safety of an area by making it more appealing to a higher educated and higher income person (someone less likely to commit crimes).

Just my thoughts, just would rather see money invested in what already exists, than ignore the problems and build elsewhere.

A developer isn't going to build a nice new building next to a slum, which is what Tigerland is turning into thanks to the bars, low rent housing and the fleeing of students to nicer student housing. I've said it before, LSU has let Tigerland become what it is and they should be setting tougher housing codes and buying up blighted property.

A developer isn't going to build a nice new building next to a slum, which is what Tigerland is turning into thanks to the bars, low rent housing and the fleeing of students to nicer student housing. I've said it before, LSU has let Tigerland become what it is and they should be setting tougher housing codes and buying up blighted property.

I don't think they should be building new buildings. I like the example of Tiger Manor. Look at what it was, and what it has become.

Invest money into what is there and turn it nice again. Students will come back if there is a reason to.