Louisiana State University

buckett5425

Yup, the development around LSU is really nice. I remember after the Crescent was built thinking about how funny the ole Lakeshore Place had looked, then it got bought and demolished, lol. As Richy said, the Nicholson gateway development is definitely huge. I'd kinda like to see them put some attractions on or abutting LSU. I think it along with LSU's tree lined campus could make a nice tourist destination. Matter a fact it'd be nice if they had enough space for the zoo near LSU. I could see them making beaucoup money if they tied the two together cleverly.

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 0:49 PM, richyb83 said:

Nicholson Gateway project continues to go up along the West side of LSU's campus..MASSIVE...Many buildings spread out...pics dont do it justice either...never got out of the car

Near site of old Alex Box stadium

DSCN1472.thumb.JPG.40ade5615a880883ca1a8a123ec02dd0.JPG

And beyond

DSCN1473.thumb.JPG.02628de7a2a49b84f8ac64fcf93ec0e5.JPG

That came up fast.  I thought they were doing all of that in phases.   I guess not.  

Edited by cajun

On 8/10/2017 at 11:01 AM, cajun said:

I think the footprint of the building itself will be a courtyard for all the new dorms they have going up in that area.   

I don't think we have pictures up yet, but I recently drove by those dorms earlier today. They are coming along pretty quickly too. I'm sure that they'll be finished before the decades conclusion.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:55 PM, mr. bernham said:

I don't think we have pictures up yet, but I recently drove by those dorms earlier today. They are coming along pretty quickly too. I'm sure that they'll be finished before the decades conclusion.

Looks amazing.  

• 4 weeks later...

I remembered this post and this article showing a pic of the proposed replacement for Kirby Hall: Cedar Hall.

Phase two of Nicholson Gateway set to begin

LSU is seeking final approval today on phase two of the Nicholson Gateway Project, an $83 million renovation and upgrade to several dorms on campus.

The project, called the Greenhouse District, will demolish Kirby-Smith Hall, a 577-bed dorm, and replace it with a new 405-bed first-year residence called Cedar Hall. Evangeline Hall and Highland Hall will also be renovated, and the project will develop new AgCenter greenhouses to replace the ones being scrapped for the dorm projects.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/phase-two-nicholson-gateway-set-begin

Screen-Shot-2017-08-17-at-8.59.13-AM.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of the changes is to rebuild the library by the stadium.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-eyeing-student-fees-help-pay-master-plan-building-projects

LSU eyeing student fees to help pay for master plan building projects

LSU President F. King Alexander says the university will likely use student fees, among other sources of funding, to help pay for a new library and other projects that are part of an ambitious master plan.

The master plan, unveiled this year, is a wide-ranging framework for the school over the next 20 years. It analyzed open space, pedestrian mobility and parking, along with a host of other areas. Aside from changes to the buildings themselves, the plan calls for updates to infrastructure, landscaping and stormwater controls.

One of the recommendations is aimed at Middleton Library, which has become a flashpoint over cuts to higher education and misplaced priorities at Louisiana’s flagship institution. The library has “major” deferred maintenance issues, says Roger Husser, LSU’s assistant vice president for planning, design and construction.

New masterplans for LSU:

https://masterplanlsu.com/document/lsu-comprehensive-and-strategic-campus-master-plan-final-report

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

That's one elaborate plan! 

The proposed Library looks nice...what better location than near the Stadium! lol   With the removal of Middleton Library ; the shape of the Quad's green space will be of a cross!   A New South Quad should be cool!   Interesting the Nicholson extension will be re-configured & South Quad drive will have an improved intersection on Highland Rd.  Nice location for a Roundabout  at West Lakeshore & East Parker

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, richyb83 said:

Thank god. Campus needs a fudgeing grocery store. Can't tell you how many times I needed to go to one during class days. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, dan326 said:

Where is this building? I was trying to find the current picture 

South-side of Skip Bertman Drive near (West)  the R.R. Tracks.....not far from Nicholson & Tiger Stadium...

South Stadium Drive turns into Skip Bertman Dr. west of Nicholson

• 7 months later...

LSU celebrates grand opening of Nicholson Gateway

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - LSU administrators and student government members cut the ribbon on the facility that is meant for upperclassmen, athletes, and married couples. Those students have access to several restaurants, Matherne’s Market, and a number of retail outlets. LSU president F. King Alexander says the Nicholson Gateway Development is one of the nicest in the nation, and it could help students be successful.

“Students who live on campus get involved in campus activities more, their numbers are better in retention and they graduate in higher rates because they get engaged in the university," said Alexander.

Because of the development, LSU now has more students living on campus than ever before, including its entire freshman class.

The 28-acre site is located between West Chimes Street and Skip Bertman Drive.

Nicholson Gateway features 763 apartment units for more than 1,500 students, with lounge spaces, study areas, community gathering locations, and 50,500 square feet of retail space. Retailers include Matherne’s Market, Frutta Bowls, The Simple Greek, Wendy’s, Private Stock Apparel, and a Baton Rouge General Express Care clinic.

The student-centered development was built in response to demand for on-campus housing and supports student success by improving campus living for students. LSU officials say research shows that students who live on campus have better GPAs and higher chances of graduating.

What Does the Project Include?

• 1,529  beds, a mix of undergraduate and graduate housing
  • 50,500 square feet of campus-focused retail space 
  • 8,500 square feet of University Recreation space
  • 1,550 new  surface and garage parking spaces

Added to Community

• 700 construction jobs 
  • 125 new, permanent jobs
  • Enhanced game day experience
  • Advanced LSU’s relationship to downtown Baton Rouge
  • Improved Nicholson Drive traffic patterns, pedestrian friendliness, and visual beauty
  • Created a new campus entry point 

On 10/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, dan326 said:

That project came out beautifully. Definitely a campus asset.

I'm very impressed.  

I think LSU leased the land to private developers who put this all together with the condition that it serves LSU students.