Louisiana State University

buckett5425

Interesting development. I have a couple questions... That area is owned by the University right?? If so, can they sell alcohol there if they choose to build a bar/grill at the site of the Alex Box?

I know that other universities have bars on campus. The one that comes to mind is Rice. LSU is so money hungry that I'm sure they'll let a bar/grill open at the old Alex Box. It's a perfect location being near the athletic facilities and parking lots. I always thought they should open a bar in the basement of Johnston, Hatcher or one of those other buildings that back up to the east side of Tiger Stadium.

When they redevelop this area I'd like to see the buildings closer to Nicholson with the parking alond the railroad tracks behind the buildings.

I would like to see this development closer to Nicholson too; like the Fieldhouse and Victory Commons at the northgate of Nicholson. I know alot of people would like to see a parking garage too. With 630-units for apartments; what size development are we talking about here?? The size of Southgate Towers 7-8 stories; or maybe 4 to 5 stories???

Would this project also include tearing down the old institutionalized 2-story old apartments next to the Box??

Yes they will be replacing the existing married housing. They're looking at redeveloping all the land on that side of Nicholson from the south gates to Skip Bertman Dr.

I was just thinking how cool it would be for the restaurant to house the Andonie Museum. They could also leave home plate in it's original location and make it part of the museum.

• 1 month later...

I know that other universities have bars on campus. The one that comes to mind is Rice. LSU is so money hungry that I'm sure they'll let a bar/grill open at the old Alex Box. It's a perfect location being near the athletic facilities and parking lots. I always thought they should open a bar in the basement of Johnston, Hatcher or one of those other buildings that back up to the east side of Tiger Stadium.

When they redevelop this area I'd like to see the buildings closer to Nicholson with the parking alond the railroad tracks behind the buildings.

I asked the question because right now, you can't sell alcohol on the college campuses in Louisiana.

^^I've been to several functions at LSU where they served and sold alcoholic beverages (in a legal manner)....and that doesn't even include the Lod Cook Hotel's room service and bar.

LSU is so money hungry that I'm sure they'll let a bar/grill open at the old Alex Box.

All the good schools are money hungry....and all the good public colleges depend on private income streams to survive.

Edited by cajun

^^I've been to several functions at LSU where they served and sold alcoholic beverages (in a legal manner)....and that doesn't even include the Lod Cook Hotel's room service and bar.

All the good schools are money hungry....and all the good public colleges depend on private income streams to survive.

Were those University sponsored events or private parties like wedding receptions?

Why don't they sell alcohol at the sporting events?

• 1 month later...

The NEW Alex Box Stadium opened this past weekend...#1 ranked LSU swept Villanova 12-3; 11-1 and 6-3..very nice venue; very impressive from the outside; even more impressive on the inside from what I have heard!

22309004.jpg

>>While were at it...the LSU basketball team clinched at least a tie for 1st Place in the SEC tonight; with a 81-75 victory over Florida on ESPN! :yahoo:

• 4 months later...

Designers of the new Alex Box Stadium, home of LSU baseball, win award

Grace and Hebert Architects of Baton Rouge has been honored by the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) for its interior design of the new Alex Box Stadium, the home of LSU's baseball team

http://blog.nola.com/lsusports/2009/07/des...w_alex_box.html

Tiger stadium expansion not in near future

The current economic conditions in the country have delayed conversations regarding the expansion of Tiger Stadium...

http://www.lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=964506

Construction on LSU practice facilities ongoing ; Waiting not a problem

The new $14 million practice facility for LSU

My bad buckett....guess it can't hurt?? Too long to post entire article...but here's the football part

Slightly more than a year ago in Skip Bertman's final months as athletics director, it seemed that the school would add seats in Tiger Stadium's south end zone. But, the economic downturn has affected the situation.

"Right now, expanding Tiger Stadium is not on the table to be discussed," Nunez said. "There are other projects which have greater priority."

Members of the athletic department have examined the addition of seats in the south end zone. There are some possible problems. "We have looked at expansion in a feasibility study," Nunez said. "Everything has to be in place for us to go ahead with the project. "There are a lot of unanswered questions. How will (expansion) affect the area on South Stadium (Drive)? Is it really functional? There are a lot of obstacles to overcome."

Of course, the major problem is finances. The only on-going project is the construction of a basketball practice facility. Plans are in place to improve the track facilities, as well as building an indoor tennis facility. "Some ideas are on the table," Nunez said. "There is a master plan for the indoor track and the outdoor track. Everything is all laid out. However, we are going to have to fund-raise for all the new projects particularly with the economic situation."

LSU football fans will obviously recognize the new video board which has been installed above Tiger Stadium's north end zone. According to Nunez, this board will be one of the top two or three in the Southeastern Conference. "This will be a top-of-the-line video board in both size and quality," Nunez said. "What we had in the past was okay. We knew we had to enhance and upgrade what we had. This new board's quality is top tier."

The old video board in the south end zone will remain operative in 2009. Oklahoma has used one new board and one old board during the same season. "Both boards will be working off each other," Nunez said. "We'll still be able to do that. We are looking at the following year at adding something (in the south end). We just have to look at the financial crisis and how it will affect the budget."

Nunez said that LSU doesn't want to "spend millions of dollars" on a new video board in the south end zone when there is still some question as to what the school will do with seats in that area in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

New 'Live Oak Lounge' to start opening process of renovated portions of Student Union

The Live Oak Lounge on the first floor of the Union will be completed by the end of the week and will be opened Monday said Ken Bueche, associate director of the Union.

The Lounge features three tiers of chairs, tables and couches facing three retractable projectors that will display movies or TV programming. There are also two large flat-screen plasma TVs for seats in the lounge that don't have a clear view of the projector screens.

The area also features wireless Internet and power outlets for students to use with their laptops, Bueche said.

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/new-live-o...union-1.1776471

It's good to finally see some progress.

• 2 months later...

This five story building is going up on LSU by the other chemistry buildings. I found it on the chemistry website.

item1862.pngitem1860.png

"Figure 1 shows the architects rendering of the front of the building that will face Highland Road. Choppin Hall is located directly behind and separated by the service driveway that runs to the Life Sciences buildings. Figure 2 shows the ground layout of the annex and its location relative to Knapp Hall, Choppin, and the Life Science Annex. The footprint of the new building is similar to Choppin Hall.

The exterior will be brick with a Spanish tile roof to match the general university architecture. There will be large expanse of tinted windows on the 3rd-5th floors where the laboratories are located. The labs are being designed so natural light will enter both the student desk area and the laboratories proper."

http://chemistry.lsu.edu/site/item1859.html

• 2 weeks later...

Not as urban as we'd like...but a key componet for future growth...

Building a research park

Fields of St. Augustine grass, pine and pecan trees, a pair of volleyball courts and a copse of 40-year-old buildings congregate on what’s known as the 214-acre LSU South Campus. There are people here, too. Hundreds of them. But LSU wants to catapult their numbers into the thousands with ambitious plans for a 21st-century research park.

Already, dental students apply their future trade here, researchers build miniature products of new materials, workers test sports video games, trainers show emergency responders how to combat terrorism. Beyond one of the beige stone-and-glass buildings, orange pieces of heavy equipment move material on a 50-acre swath destined to become a critical Louisiana National Guard training center.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/68103722.html

110109techparkgraphic.jpg

Thanks for posting that article Richy. I've been away from the board quite a bit lately. Travel for work has been crazy the last couple of months. I was riding down Nicholson a couple of weeks ago and saw the first building coming up and wondered what it was.

• 2 months later...

Seems like this is really going to be nice!

Union project expected to be done by August

The LSU Student Union’s main entrance is closed and its main cafeteria — the Tiger Lair — is shut down for a complete renovation. Though the union’s construction is now at its most cumbersome, the entire expansion and renovation should be largely completed by Aug. 1st

“This is probably the most difficult part of construction,” Plakidas said about the first couple months of 2010. “If we get over this part … we’ve gone over the mountain.”

The nearly $80 million project, which is being funded through $89 per semester student fees, actually began in October 2006 and has since faced delays. It was supposed to open in October of last year.

“It’s coming along — not as fast as we’d like — but it’s coming along,” she said. “It will be wonderful.”

The plans include a new fourth floor, an additional 50,000 square feet, a complete overhaul of the Union Theatre and the addition of the Live Oak Lounge, which opened last year.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/83317167.html

• 1 month later...

"Groundbreaking set for new LSU business center

The LSU E.J. Ourso College of Business will host the groundbreaking for its new home — the Business Education Complex — on March 19 and expects to complete the building by spring 2012 and move in by that summer.

LSU said $30 million in capital outlay funds isn’t enough to pay for the building — the rest is coming from donors and the university — but it was enough to trigger the bid process and get the project started.

The center will include a four-story rotunda, two banks of pavilions housing classrooms and departmental offices and a structure featuring an auditorium and graduate classrooms. It will be located east of Patrick F. Taylor Hall on Nicholson Drive Extension and will encompass 156,364 gross square feet"

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/85977107.html