Louisiana State University

buckett5425

Stadium upgrade possible

LSU will begin an underground exploration next week to determine whether it can expand Tiger Stadium with a south-end upper deck.

Tiger Athletic Foundation President and CEO Gen. Ron Richard said Friday that the stadium could have a south upper deck opened in 2015 if the “due diligence and business plan” work out.

Although the expansion is not a done deal, the LSU Board of Supervisors did approve $7 million in TAF-funded plaza improvements to the north and west sides of Tiger Stadium that would create new “Champions Plaza” entrances and gating.

The plazas will feature plaques and monuments commemorating LSU championships and honoring All-Americans in academics and on-the-field achievements, said Eddie Nunez, LSU senior associate athletic director. “We’re trying to create a story line,” he said.

The plazas project is supposed to begin construction next year with an estimated summer 2013 completion date, Nunez said.

For the much bigger south upper deck project, Richard said construction could start as soon as next year if it is deemed feasible.

“With the (underground) utilities and everything, we don’t want to rush ahead with anything,” Nunez added.

LSU Chancellor Michael Martin said there is the desire to expand if it can be done without relocating South Stadium Drive.

“When you’re a first-rate program, you do everything first rate,” Martin said.

LSU is working with Dallas-based HKS, Inc. architects that recently oversaw the design of the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Richard said LSU is looking at adding 35-45 new suites, 3,000-3,500 club-level seats and an undecided number of general upper deck seats.

“We haven’t determined how big that upper deck would be,” Richard said.

Currently seating nearly 92,600 people, an expansion could push Tiger Stadium well over 100,000 seats. In recent years, home games are routinely sold out.

“There’s always the issue of not overbuilding,” Martin said of the desire to keep ticket demand high. “You always want people standing in line.”

Richard said that more than 35 percent of season ticket holders responded to surveys this year to indicate that the demand is there.

“The demand for suite-level and club seats ... went beyond what we ever imagined,” Richard said.

The surveys stated that the suite leases could range in length from five to 10 years at anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 per year, or that leasing a club seat could run from $1,000 to $5,000 annually and that a membership pass for the proposed sideline club lounge could run between $700-$2,000.

Tiger Stadium currently has 70 suites and about 3,400 club seats below the upper decks on each sideline.

The stadium is the eighth-largest, on-campus college football stadium in the country, but the fourth-largest in the Southeastern Conference in terms of seating.

Emphasizing that nothing is decided, Martin said an upper deck expansion could be funded through a large revenue bond project.

The university also needs an indoor tennis facility and a dedicated gymnastics practice facility, Martin said, all of which could be part of one bond project.

“But it’s all speculative right now,” Martin said.

Richard said it is too soon to start discussing overall costs.

http://theadvocate.com/news/1530027-123/stadium-upgrade-possible.html

• Like 1

I am really shocked they didn't choose Trahan, who design the East and West upper decks. Must be some bad blood.

The article also shows images for a new gate structure on the west side. While I like the idea of replacing that hurricane fencing with something more architecturally significant, this particular design looks as if it came from Gotham City. I am not really sure were they derived their inspiration and I also think its over scaled. I would hope that they would have continued with Trahan's contemporary theme instead of choosing something more postmodern.

• Like 1

I am really shocked they didn't choose Trahan, who design the East and West upper decks. Must be some bad blood.

The article also shows images for a new gate structure on the west side. While I like the idea of replacing that hurricane fencing with something more architecturally significant, this particular design looks as if it came from Gotham City. I am not really sure were they derived their inspiration and I also think its over scaled. I would hope that they would have continued with Trahan's contemporary theme instead of choosing something more postmodern.

On picture 3?

I've been wanting to know this for a while now. Contemporary is The Shaw Center, modern is One American Place, and what is an example postmodern?

• Like 1

On picture 3?

I've been wanting to know this for a while now. Contemporary is The Shaw Center, modern is One American Place, and what is an example postmodern?

The Shaw Center is contemporary because it is new, but one day in the future our current time period will also be given an architectural label. One American Place is of the International Style championed by Mies Van der Rohe. As for a local example of post modernism, I'd say almost every building built in Baton Rouge since 1980 could fall into the category. The new State Office Buildings, Shaw Plaza, or New Alex Box Stadium are all postmodern.

Here is a quote from wikipedia, "Postmodern architecture began as an international style the first examples of which are generally cited as being from the 1950s, but did not become a movement until the late 1970s[1] and continues to influence present-day architecture. Postmodernity in architecture is said to be heralded by the return of "wit, ornament and reference" to architecture in response to the formalism of the International Style of modernism."

• Like 2

The Shaw Center is contemporary because it is new, but one day in the future our current time period will also be given an architectural label. One American Place is of the International Style championed by Mies Van der Rohe. As for a local example of post modernism, I'd say almost every building built in Baton Rouge since 1980 could fall into the category. The new State Office Buildings, Shaw Plaza, or New Alex Box Stadium are all postmodern.

Here is a quote from wikipedia, "Postmodern architecture began as an international style the first examples of which are generally cited as being from the 1950s, but did not become a movement until the late 1970s[1] and continues to influence present-day architecture. Postmodernity in architecture is said to be heralded by the return of "wit, ornament and reference" to architecture in response to the formalism of the International Style of modernism."

Buckett, what is your opinion of the LSU business school?

Buckett, what is your opinion of the LSU business school?

Not sure if you're setting me up for something Cajun, but Ill give you an honest response. :shades:

I applaud the business school for attempting to introduce contemporary architecture to the campus. Schools like Tulane or Rice have no issue introducing new beautiful contemporary styles among their old historic buildings, but LSU struggles with that idea and the new business complex strikes a decent hybrid between contemporary and postmodern styles.

On a personal note, my opinion of the new Business School is a love-hate relationship. I think some of the materials used are wonderful and I appreciate how the new court yard will foster a sense community. The atrium space within the new rotunda should be fantastic. But over all I think the design is very weak. I took a tour of the complex in May and the corridors are long boring and interrupted by a mirage of cheap prefabricated doors. The most interesting thing about the design is the fritted glass on the exterior but the actual spaces occupied by the users are bland, boring and repetitive. But with that being said, it's one of the nicest new buildings on campus. Its 1000 times better than Grace and Hebert's Fry Computing Center or Student Union Addition, or New Barnes and Noble, or the New Science Annex.

Edited by buckett5425

Not sure if you're setting me up for something Cajun, but Ill give you an honest response. :shades:

I applaud the business school for attempting to introduce contemporary architecture to the campus. Schools like Tulane or Rice have no issue introducing new beautiful contemporary styles among their old historic buildings, but LSU struggles with that idea and the new business complex strikes a decent hybrid between contemporary and postmodern styles.

On a personal note, my opinion of the new Business School is a love-hate relationship. I think some of the materials used are wonderful and I appreciate how the new court yard will foster a sense community. The atrium space within the new rotunda should be fantastic. But over all I think the design is very weak. I took a tour of the complex in May and the corridors are long boring and interrupted by a mirage of cheap prefabricated doors. The most interesting thing about the design is the fritted glass on the exterior but the actual spaces occupied by the users are bland, boring and repetitive. But with that being said, it's one of the nicest new buildings on campus. Its 1000 times better than Grace and Hebert's Fry Computing Center or Student Union Addition, or New Barnes and Noble, or the New Science Annex.

I share most of your opinions. I like that they tried to pay respect to the rest of campus.....but I think that the Vericon glass used on the facade gives the exterior (other than the courtyard) a cold, shut out feeling. Approach the building from the south, north, or east, and you feel like you are coming on to the back of the building. No obvious entrance to the complex.

It isn't as bad as CEBA, but that is a very low bar to clear.

I'm waiting to see more of the finished interior...

New lab building to boost LSU AgCenter research capacity

A new two-story, 48,000-square-foot Animal and Food Sciences Laboratory Building on the LSU campus will boost the university's research capacity and provide state-of-the-art facilities for the AgCenter's School of Animal Sciences and departments of Veterinary Science and Food Science, LSU says. "This building was a long time coming," says AgCenter Chancellor Bill Richardson, who was on hand for the building's groundbreaking Tuesday, alongside Gov. Bobby Jindal. "These new laboratories will properly position our programs to address 21st century needs and issues." The new lab—expected to be complete in summer 2013—will allow researchers from the three departments to come together in a centralized facility. Where research overlaps, the scientists will have shared space to work together. The laboratories will also enhance the AgCenter's ability to support value-added products, says Department of Food Science head John Finley. "We will be able to leverage our culinary reputation with better, innovative products that can add value to raw products, particularly Louisiana seafood," he says. When completed, the total cost of the building and equipment will be more than $20 million. Funding was provided as a direct allocation by the state Legislature and has been in process for more than 10 years. Read more about the new lab building on the AgCenter's website here.

Businessreport.com

• 4 weeks later...

LSU ranks among 100 best U.S. higher ed values

LSU is once again ranked as one of the 100 best values in public higher education, according to Kiplinger's Personal Finance. The ranking, which appears in the magazine's February issue, cites four-year schools that combine outstanding education with economic value. For in-state student value, LSU ranks No. 72 overall; for out-of-state student value, LSU is ranked 91st. LSU's value for in-state students places it ahead of the University of Tennessee, University of Missouri, University of Alabama, University of Maryland, Oklahoma State University, University of Oregon and Louisiana Tech University. For out-of-state students, LSU's ranking is ahead of universities such as Oklahoma State, Louisiana Tech, Colorado State University, Oregon and the University of Arizona. Kiplinger's Personal Finance assesses quality and affordability according to a number of standards. This year, Kiplinger's revamped the rankings to give more weight to academic value, such as the percentage of students who return for sophomore year and the four-year graduation rate. Cost criteria include low sticker prices, abundant financial aid, and low average debt at graduation.

• 4 weeks later...

Best 2 out of 3 coming on November 3rd! ;)

Real Estate Weekly Property of the Week....

AR-120139968.jpg

Steve Forbes, president and CEO of Forbes Inc., will speak at a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Business Education Complex at LSU on Friday, March 2. Featuring four buildings and 156,000 square feet of space, the Business Education Complex has been under construction since March 2010. It is located next to Patrick F. Taylor Hall, current home of the E. J. Ourso College of Business.

• Like 1

LSU undergoing transformation in campus center....

LSU plans "Union Square"

LSU’s Jason Tolliver envisions the middle of LSU campus — “Union Square” — as a true “bar alternative” for students to enjoy a nice dinner, catch a play or concert and then hang out at a late-night cafe. He sees area parents visiting campus with ease, thanks to the new LSU parking garage, shopping at the new Apple Retail Store and taking their kids to specific children’s reading areas within the two-story Barnes & Noble university bookstore.

All of these should open by the fall of 2013 without spending many LSU dollars not already committed to ongoing construction projects, said Tolliver, the LSU executive director for auxiliary services. He also took over operations of the LSU Student Union in October. “We’re creating a very dynamic community in the heart of campus,” Tolliver said.

“It’s an exciting time on campus,” he said. “As much as we’re facing the very real situation of the economy and funding, we still have the obligation to provide a vibrant atmosphere on our campus because it’s essential to our survival.”

Tolliver sees the Union Square boundaries being formed by Dalrymple Drive, Tower Drive, East Campus Drive and South Campus Drive, with more regular concerts and events on the Parade Ground and the Faculty Club restaurant opening for dinner hours to students and the general public. Student tours would begin and end at the Square. The project took a major step forward over a year ago with the delayed completion of the nearly $80 million expansion and renovation of the LSU Student Union and the connecting Union Theater.

Across the street from the Union this fall, LSU should open the five-floor, 750-vehicle parking garage. The connecting new university bookstore is expected to open in December with nearly twice the square footage of the existing bookstore in the Union, said Paul Stevenson, general manager of the LSU Bookstore.

Barnes & Noble also will have a coffee shop serving Starbucks, and indoor and outdoor plaza seating for nearly 100 people, Stevenson said. The bookstore also will connect to a new Apple Store, although the contract is still being finalized. Tolliver and Stevenson said they even plan to hang an old fighter plane from the bookstore ceiling to connect the facility to LSU’s “Ole War Skule” legacy.

When the bookstore finally is relocated, Tolliver said, the Union will have free space to open a new salon, optical shop, small dentistry office, video gaming area, 24-hour computer lab and the planned Olinde Career Center for career counseling, job interviews and more. Funding is coming through private donations and the self-generated revenues of the retailers.

LSU Student Government President Cody Wells said such retail and entertainment additions are needed at LSU. “It’s something that’s missing from our campus life as a whole,” Wells said. “We need more stress-relieving events on our campus. Students go through the grind all day.” The LSU bar and drinking scene “gets old” sometimes, Wells said, and most LSU undergraduates are not of legal drinking age anyway.

LSU Chancellor Michael Martin said he wants to keep the students on campus more and invite the general public over as well.

“I believe we’ve not been able to properly invite people to campus,” Martin said, largely because of the lack of public parking in the middle of campus. That problem is being solved in a few months.

“We want to make the center of campus feel like a 24-hour — or maybe 20 or 18-hour — epicenter of the university and all of student life,” Martin said.

http://theadvocate.com/home/1977601-125/lsu-plans-union-square.html

• Like 2

Great article. Nice to see the new developments coming to campus that will help blur the lines between education and a true urban district. UT has done a great job doing such a task. This is way better than the cookie cutter spec built houses they are building on Ben Hur.

Yeah, nothing says true urbanism like a apple store and a massive parking garage

lol

• Like 1

No, I'm just not going to get all worked up over a remodeled union square, apple store and a parking garage.

Put a street car thru the campus and that'll be news.

New housing developments beats a parking garage.

It's a little more than that. A parking garage is needed. Don't you critisize the streetcar movement because of "undesirebales" in OSBR?