Louisiana State University

buckett5425

Im disappointed. We North end zone is treasured because its original. This is a cheap replication and devalues the original architecture of the stadium. It should look entirely different like trahan's designs.

You really don't like it?

The hodgepodge of modernist garbage mixed with the fantastic old sections are what I hate about the current east and west upper decks and the old south end zone. I haven't seen Tahan's sketch, but I like the more intentional mix of old design tradition with modern flair.

To me, the business education complex went too far. The gift shop by the Tiger habitat is a better mix. This looks more like that to me.

Unfortunately this only solidified the need for an ugly parking deck.

It doesn't cheapen the north end zone...it could compliment it nicely if done correctly. It should be imposing, scary, and haunted. ;)

I want south stadium drive to stay right on the entrance to this stadium for the opposing team's fans to walk by too. I hope they don't re route it.

Also, I love that the jumbotrons are on the corners and not the top center. If you look closely, I appears that they left room to add to the top....and it should also provide nice views of the skyline.

Hopefully we hit the 100,000 capacity mark and new levels of fan support. It's imperative to keep alumni engaged with the school. Athletics deliver that for LSU.

Edited by cajun

Both the upper decks were design by Trahan. I dont mind the interior shots of the new addition. The jumbotrons and suites look fine. Its the exterior facade I'm concerned with. Yes Trahan is a contemporary designer, however when asked to design something more traditional he does a wonderful job of combining old and new styles, much better than this proposal by HKS Architects.

For example google "southern mississippi stadium addition" to see trahan's more traditional designs.

Both the upper decks were design by Trahan. I dont mind the interior shots of the new addition. The jumbotrons and suites look fine. Its the exterior facade I'm concerned with. Yes Trahan is a contemporary designer, however when asked to design something more traditional he does a wonderful job of combining old and new styles, much better than this proposal by HKS Architects.

For example google "southern mississippi stadium addition" to see trahan's more traditional designs.

By themselves, they look nice. They both look much nicer than the old west upper deck....but I think those designs should have been more cohesive with respect to the original. The west side will look better when the new plaza is finished.

I always assumed part of the reasons behind the design mis match was budget.

Worst offender was the old south end zone. Looks horrible and I'll be glad to see it covered or removed.

Either way, Arkansas and Bama have the two nicest stadiums in the SEC....but with this, we clearly have the best looking.

Edited by cajun

I agree with the current south endzone, its terrible. However I would argue that Trahan's upper deck designs respect the old stadium architecture by proclaiming themselves to be distinctly different. The upper decks hover over and wrap the existing architecture rather than trying to match it and pretend that its original. Juxtaposing modern contemporary forms with that of original traditional architecture is the best way to preserve and respect the original stadium, not copy it. Just my opinion and its an opinion shared by many in design fields.

More renderings have been released. HKS Architects really dropped the ball. Its awful.

Notice the egress tower tacked onto the side. They didnt even try........

Real LSU fans wouldn't include renderings of a day game. ;)

You are more qualified than me on this....I just know what I want to see. You are right, there are some questionable details that I hope are fixed. For one, the arches should be be holding something up. They should not be hanging out over the wall below.

Take a closer look. The renderings don't match each other. Some look cheesy, some look okay. The ones I like are the more distant perspective with the taller arches.

You are right about the tower. It looks half baked and tacky. Is that just a glass enclosure on the current south east ramp? I don't like it.

You can also see the back of what I think is stadium seats or something on the top. They should fix that.

Edited by cajun

S. Miss may be a small school but they have a beautiful stadium.

• Like 1

Just like all LSU fans, Tiger Stadium to me is personal. I really think we can do better, even if it is a more "traditional" design versus something more contemporary like I would prefer.

I'm sure LSU will tweak this design.

This will be the last major expansion of Tiger Stadium for a very long time. They will do it right.

You guys are overreacting. These renderings look good and it's long overdue.

You're underreacting. The expansion may be long over due but that doesn't mean LSU can let HKS Architects submit a crappy design. HKS does wonderful traditional and contemporary design work all over the country, no reason they shouldn't do the same here.

You're underreacting. The expansion may be long over due but that doesn't mean LSU can let HKS Architects submit a crappy design. HKS does wonderful traditional and contemporary design work all over the country, no reason they shouldn't do the same here.

I don't think so. I'm am filled with relief.

Almost everyone I know hates the east and west upper decks....especially the west side. The fact that they are not going with that design firm or direction is a good thing. And like you said, HKS has expertise in this area. The design isn't perfect, but it is just preliminary. Changes will be made.

I seriously hope whoever designed the west upper deck never does anything with LSU again.

Edited by cajun

I don't think so. I'm am filled with relief.

Almost everyone I know hates the east and west upper decks....especially the west side. The fact that they are not going with that design firm or direction is a good thing. And like you said, HKS has expertise in this area. The design isn't perfect, but it is just preliminary. Changes will be made.

I seriously hope whoever designed the west upper deck never does anything with LSU again.

Trahan designed both the East and West upper decks. He also renovated the Cox Communications Center and designed the new softball stadium. All of which are beautiful buildings.

Everyone I know, design professionals, LOVE the West Upper Deck and dislike the design for the south end zone. Even professionals who prefer more traditional designs dislike the proposal. So it goes both ways, haha. We shall see what happens...

Like I said. Overreacting.

Like I said. Underreacting.

• Like 1

Trahan designed both the East and West upper decks. He also renovated the Cox Communications Center and designed the new softball stadium. All of which are beautiful buildings.

Different strokes, different folks....

Cox and the softball stadium are nice because their quality stand out while still fitting in with their surroundings......but the east and west upper decks are hated by nearly everyone I know, as is the exterior of the Shaw center and other ego-driven designs like the Guggenheim that architects love.

The difference is that I always thought that the upper decks had major time, space, and budget constraints. I didn't know the ugliness was designed into them.

After a decade in the design-build field, I have come to the conclusion that most architects have their heads so far up their asses, that they no longer understand what the general public finds tasteful. If given too much freedom, some of these big name firms will build a monument to themselves. :)

Edited by cajun

Maybe the general public has bad taste? Have you driven through suburbia lately?

How could you be so thoughtless. The Shaw Center isn't a monument for Schwartz and Silver Architects. Its a monument for Baton Rouge. The building has performed exactly as it was supposed to as proposed by LSU. It was to create a monument for downtown, a sense of place, and a destination. It has done all of that and served as a catalyst for downtown development. At the same time the scale of the building beautifully relates to the Old State Capitol and Hotel Indigo. The form beautifully masks the programatic requirements necessary for a theater and two single floor art galleries. I could go on and on. But the Shaw Center is one of the most thoughtfully designed buildings in BR and is directly related to its site context unlike the Old State Capitol. If the Shaw Center was built, as it was designed now, for any other location, it wouldn't make sense because its form and scale are integrated with the site and existing buildings.

As for the role of architects, do you think I spent 5 years in school to design ugly buildings because the public likes them? You have to be kidding. Since becoming the lead designer at my firm I've changed the direction of our design philosophies. My firm used to design faux french suburban offices and strip malls. Every client we have comes to our firm looking for those types of designs. However I design something contemporary that is related to its site and programatic requirements. So far I've been right on the money with every project and every client that we've had that THOUGHT they wanted faux french design has fallen in love with my well thought out contemporary designs. So much so, I've brought more work into my office because of it. So please do not suggest I, or any other design professional is stuck up their ass. I know how to design and I know how to sell an idea. It's the public that has bad taste, not me and with a small presentation of why I designed something the way I did, my ideas prevail because they are good and make sense to the client. So yes, the "ugliness" was designed into them. Enjoy it.

For the record, I love old architecture, and work very hard to preserve it. But I understand it's in the past and needs to be preserved, not recreated.

You are a draftsman right?

Edited by buckett5425
  • Like 1

You are a draftsman right?

Structural Engineer before graduate school

Today, I work in Atlanta with a large commercial property development firm based in Chicago. I'm across the table from people like you all day long demanding things, complaining, and generally causing trouble.

So yeah, my opinions are molded by my work with architects and builders both good and bad.

It's natural that you hate my opinions. I would too if I were in your shoes.

Edited by cajun

Yes. Everyone has bad taste except you and your circle of friends.

I'm glad you understand that now.

Today, I work in Atlanta with a large commercial property development firm based in Chicago. I'm across the table from people like you all day long demanding things, complaining, and generally causing trouble.

I cause trouble because I have good ideas and know how to sell them to people like you? Okay? I don't tell an engineer how to do his or her job, I should receive the same respect. No?

• Like 1

I'm glad you understand that now.

I cause trouble because I have good ideas and know how to sell them to people like you? Okay? I don't tell an engineer how to do his or her job, I should receive the same respect. No?

You misunderstood. I'm the one causing trouble. I rep the owners.

I realize it's not a big deal for some; true you see the game from a different angle....but it is hard for me to watch a football game "Behind" the goal-post or end-zone...I need to be at least between the end-zones....I have enjoyed plenty of games in the East & West Upper Decks!

• 1 month later...

Could this be on the same scale as one of the Southgate Towers??

Redevelopment plans for LSU property progressing

A consultant hired by LSU is formulating redevelopment options for the area along Nicholson Drive that includes married student housing and the old Alex Box Stadium site. AECOM, an international design, engineering and program management firm, is tasked with developing concepts to "transform the Nicholson corridor on campus," says Steven Waller, director of LSU's Department of Residential Life. Part of that task includes boiling down the information gathered from public meetings and stakeholder interviews held in March and April into a list of several concepts for further review. LSU wants better housing for its graduate students and would like to see some retail options as part of the project, but it hasn't set any specific goals or guidelines beyond that, choosing instead to keep its options open. The retail elements could benefit the surrounding community while also serving the campus, Waller says. He says another round of public meetings may be held in late June.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

Student housing brings in revenue where classrooms don't.. Hotels too.

Expect LSU to build them just for the revenue generation. Look at married students....it had to have paid for itself 20 times over by now. My parents stayed there in the stone age.