bic

Amway Center

It amazes me how fast these things go up. I guess that's because sports facilities the structure is the easy part, it's all the interior and technological aspects that take a while. So exciting.

I'm so glad we got this arena under construction before it got a chance to be delayed like most other proposals these days. I was always very happy with the O-Rena but within the past year I've started to notice how small, outdated, and shabby it looks. I think it's because the building is getting so much more exposure now that the Magic have a lot more nationally televised games (in HD), its flaws are that much more visible. I'm going to miss the O-Rena but can't wait until we have a world-class team playing in a world-class building.

I used to think the O-rena was well more than adequate until I visited the TD Gardens in Boston and AA Arena in Miami. After seeing Seattle lose their franchise of more than 20 years due to a stadium fight I am extremely happy we got the concrete pouring before there was any chance to derail it. Regardless of what anyone says, a major sports franchise does alot to define a city and the Magic are a big part of Orlando's identity. I'm ecstatic they are doing so well. There success is our success, just as Bic referenced the exposure. Imagine the surprise of most people when they see the arial shots of downtown now compared to just a few years ago. I guess there's nothing left to say but.........GO MAGIC!

I have travelled to a lot of cities and been to concerts in their arenas and I will third the view that the O-rena is incredibly outdated and drab. I've been to Miami's AA arena (didn't really care for it), Madison Square Garden (an older facility, the concourses/gates system is very confusing but the arena itself is great), Chicago's United Center (great facility), Key Arena in Seattle (can see why they left), and even some smaller hockey arenas in Canada. Even the St. Pete Times Forum isn't all that bad. I can't wait for this new arena to open up. I will miss the red cushioned seats though ;-)

I will miss the red cushioned seats though ;-)

Actually, I think that's one of the major problems with the current arena. Those red seats stick out like sore thumbs when you're watching a Magic game on TV. With many of the fans wearing blue or white shirts, there is great contrast when a seat isn't filled, giving the appearance of an empty arena even if it's supposed to be a sell-out. I can't wait until we have blue seats that match our major team's colors.

I have travelled to a lot of cities and been to concerts in their arenas and I will third the view that the O-rena is incredibly outdated and drab. I've been to Miami's AA arena (didn't really care for it), Madison Square Garden (an older facility, the concourses/gates system is very confusing but the arena itself is great), Chicago's United Center (great facility), Key Arena in Seattle (can see why they left), and even some smaller hockey arenas in Canada. Even the St. Pete Times Forum isn't all that bad. I can't wait for this new arena to open up. I will miss the red cushioned seats though ;-)

I have been to most arenas on the east coast. I would say Miami is the nicest I've ever been in with Chicago a close 2nd.

I saw U2 at the Miami arena and my impression is probably tweaked by that experience. The arena itself is probably great for basketball games and even concerts, but we were in the upper level towards the back/side of the stage. Our view was fine, but it felt like we were crammed into a corner. They have certainly tried to put a seat in every crevice they could find in that place.

It almost doesn't seem real. I'm so glad something is being built and keeps some construction jobs intact within our area. I have some pics from this weekend of the arena that I haven't gotten off my camera yet.

It almost doesn't seem real. I'm so glad something is being built and keeps some construction jobs intact within our area. I have some pics from this weekend of the arena that I haven't gotten off my camera yet.

I drove past on South street (now closed) last week and was amazed at how far along they have progressed as well how big it looked from the road. It was cool to see the inside stadium from the street.

very cool indeed..is it just me or does this arena seem half tghe size of the current one? I mean i can walk from one end to the other in less than a minute...the current arena complex seemed huge....:(

very cool indeed..is it just me or does this arena seem half tghe size of the current one? I mean i can walk from one end to the other in less than a minute...the current arena complex seemed huge....:(

It's not you. It seems that way. But trust me, it will only seem that way while under construction. It's bigger.

^ the O-rena footprint is 3 times the size (at least) when you account for parking, steps, plaza, etc.

I'm happy the new arena is in a very urban context even if it "appears" to be a bit smaller.

The overall footprint is much smaller. The current arena was built like a suburban development. It's an island set in a sea of parking lots. The new arena will be boxed in. I was thinking they were going to have more open space on the Church Street side. It almost seems like they're going to need to block off Church Street to vehicles every night there is an event.

^ the O-rena footprint is 3 times the size (at least) when you account for parking, steps, plaza, etc.

I'm happy the new arena is in a very urban context even if it "appears" to be a bit smaller.

was just talking building ... not all the steps plaza etc. Downtown is the plaza.

The overall footprint is much smaller. The current arena was built like a suburban development. It's an island set in a sea of parking lots. The new arena will be boxed in. I was thinking they were going to have more open space on the Church Street side. It almost seems like they're going to need to block off Church Street to vehicles every night there is an event.

The Boston Garden is built right up to the street and is also the North Station commuter train terminal. They do not block off streets for events or high foot traffic. I'd be curious to see how this plays out in Orlando--I hope they do not block vehicular traffic, I rather like the chaos.

newrena1.jpg

This is from last weekend.

Great shot! This looks MUCH larger at this angle than in the aerial photos.

This being the larger construction project in downtown, I figured we'd have a lot more construction photos of it by now.

This being the larger construction project in downtown, I figured we'd have a lot more construction photos of it by now.

I think we would if not for the amazing construction web cam that offers about the best views of the site and its progress 24-7.

I drove past it Sunday morning on I-4 eastbound for the first time in a few weeks.

Man!!! That thing looks like it's sitting right off the edge of I-4!!!!!

With the entry tower, that bad boy is going to look mighty impressive driving thru O-Town!!!

Especially at night all lit up. :yahoo: