Amway Center

bic

Also there are not enough outdoor space...they need a giant screen outside showing Magic game during Championship game.

During the Championship Game! I love your optimism sunshine but the way the Magic have been playing that's actually just as realistic as it is optimistic. Go Magic!

Not this season....

The arena is coming up nicely. Somehow, it looks so small. Isnt there suppose to have a sublevel parking? and a Magic practice facility?

Also there are not enough outdoor space...they need a giant screen outside showing Magic game during Championship game.

The parking is next to the arena. They already have a practice facility.

I recall seeing a screen in one of the concept images, but IMO, it would be silly to put a screen on the exterior of an arena showing what's going on inside. That's like saying "Don't bother buying tickets, we don't need the income." Besides, who is going to sit there and watch it, other than homeless people? If you don't want to go inside the arena, that's what television is for.

Here's the fact sheet:

Scheduled Opening: October 2010

Cost: $380 million (total construction cost)

Location: Downtown Orlando; bound by Church Street (north); Hughey Avenue (east); South Street (south); Division Avenue (west)

Owner: City of Orlando

Operator: City of Orlando

Primary Tenant: Orlando Magic

Functions: NBA and collegiate basketball, arena football, indoor soccer, concerts, hockey, circuses, stage shows and exhibitions

Design Architect: HOK Sport

Local Architects: C.T. Hsu + Associates; Baker Barrios Architects, Inc.

Construction Manager: Hunt Construction Group in association with Rey Group, R.L.

Burns, Inc., HZ Construction and Albu & Associates, Inc.

Program Manager: Turner Construction Company

Site Acreage: 8.75 acres

Number of Levels: 7: Event Level; Lower Bowl Access Level; Founder

Not this season....

I recall seeing a screen in one of the concept images, but IMO, it would be silly to put a screen on the exterior of an arena showing what's going on inside. That's like saying "Don't bother buying tickets, we don't need the income." Besides, who is going to sit there and watch it, other than homeless people? If you don't want to go inside the arena, that's what television is for.

The pratice facility and all corporate offices are relocating to the new Arena.

Not this season....

They could sell advertising space on it. Or it could advertise upcoming events.

I highly doubt the league would the Magic to broadcast any game publicly except the Playoffs where demand for seating will greatly exceed the arena capacity. Other than that I'm sure there are licensing and broadcast issues that would prohibit regular games being shown outside the Arena. As far as the practice court, yes the Magic have a facility currently but it is in Maitland. Most likely the practice court would only be used on game days so the team can do private shoot arounds at the arena and cut down on travel time on game days. It would probaly be used for visiting teams to allow them practice time away from the media. I'm fairly certain the main practice facility will still be RDV in Maitland.

I highly doubt the league would the Magic to broadcast any game publicly except the Playoffs where demand for seating will greatly exceed the arena capacity. Other than that I'm sure there are licensing and broadcast issues that would prohibit regular games being shown outside the Arena. As far as the practice court, yes the Magic have a facility currently but it is in Maitland. Most likely the practice court would only be used on game days so the team can do private shoot arounds at the arena and cut down on travel time on game days. It would probaly be used for visiting teams to allow them practice time away from the media. I'm fairly certain the main practice facility will still be RDV in Maitland.

No the magic's headquarters will be moving from the RDV to the new arena and that will also be where they practice. It's logical because if Devos decides to sell the team they couldn't practice at the RDV because its owned by Devos. They wouldn't built the team offices and practice court in the new arena and still use the RDV.

Edited by Stunna

No the magic's headquarters will be moving from the RDV to the new arena and that will also be where they practice. It's logical because if Devos decides to sell the team they couldn't practice at the RDV because its owned by Devos. They wouldn't built the team offices and practice court in the new arena and still use the RDV.

I see. I just assumed the practice facilities here would pale in comparison to something like the RDV but I guess it does make alot more sense. I always thought if the Magic were sold the RDV would go with it but than again who would pay for the tomatoes and the dirt they were grown in. I guess that's why Rich Devos first name is appropriately enough...Rich, and I'm just a Joe Schmoe.

Arena303.JPG

Does anyone have a better description of what the "Media Mesh" will be?

All its going to be is a huge graphic billboard displaying different things like the magics next games with dates and times and stuff. No way they showing live footage like games on it, would cause accidents on the I-4. The picture is the prudential center in NJ. That's the same idea.

Edited by Stunna

Does anyone have a better description of what the "Media Mesh" will be?

Hopefully, It will be like the application on the The Grand Indonesia Tower, where the entire facade of the building is turned into something like a video screen, but it will probably be more on the scale of the American Airlines Arena.

• 2 weeks later...

f023ab9493898886d635c680a7dcd605-getty-86012991fm003_sixers_magic.jpg

935bd8de70a56077df173829b83e98c9-getty-86012991fm002_sixers_magic.jpg

I notice that the glass tower on the model doesn't extend above the roofline. I thought the tower was supposed to rise well above the rest of the building.

42790207.jpg

Please don't tell me that like everything else that gets built in this town, it got scaled back.

Edited by JFW657