Amway Center

bic

^^

you were in the Stirling Sotheby's space, I take it... I frequently watch shuttle launches from there (when they let me, that is).

here's little diddy... go to 10, and go to the South Tower tip by Church and Orange- still U/C-- you can see everything.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

June 23, 2009:

eventscenter62309.jpg

^ BTW, the lot that was being used as a staging area for the arena's construction looks like it's been cleaned up a lot and leveled, so maybe we'll start to see the new parking garage begin construction soon.

Edited by bic

Here are a few pics from today. I didn't take pictures, but there is a curious bit of work being done right next to the events center. There is a large drill and some kind of reinforcement being done to I-4 at the corner of Church Street. The construction workers at that spot looked a little worried that I was taking pictures near them... hmmm?? Anyone know anything about that??? Anyway, enjoy the pics.

rena.jpg

rena2.jpg

rena3.jpg

Here are a few pics from today. I didn't take pictures, but there is a curious bit of work being done right next to the events center. There is a large drill and some kind of reinforcement being done to I-4 at the corner of Church Street. The construction workers at that spot looked a little worried that I was taking pictures near them... hmmm?? Anyone know anything about that??? Anyway, enjoy the pics.

This is, I believe, the answer to your question, from the Sentinel June 2:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,6428376.story

48075240.jpg

This image shows the first segment of the Orlando Events Center's new roof being put in place on Tuesday, July 14, 2009. This segment is the first of six, 380-foot-long, 150-ton steel roof trusses for the arena being put in place over the next five months.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS

As reported in the Orlando Sentinel today, we now have a name for the new Orlando Events Center! Instead of being called Amway Arena, it will be called....

::drumroll please::

Amway Center!

I $@#* you not. At least we got a sponsor in this rough economy, though. According to the article I linked to above, the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas is opening up this year without a naming-rights deal. The Amway deal is for $40 million over 10 years and further strengthens Rich Devos' commitment to Orlando.