Amway Center

bic

I like this design a lot. However, the lack of prelim. info for the South Street elevation is scary. That is basically a declaration that the South Street elevation is going to blow. I hope I'm wrong. With the PAC on South Street and the new Church Street Station hotel along South Street both coming in, I think the pedestrian movements from South Street to the Arena should be considered. I'm not sure what is going on near the east side of the building. They might need a special police blotter for just that area.

Explain why they can get sponsors like Continental Airlines and Prudential Healthcare and we're stuck with Amway.

Corporations tend to sponsor civic venues in the cities in which they have a strong presence. Prudential's headquarters is in Newark and Newark International Airport (EWR) is Continental's second largest hub. Airlines seem to love having the naming rights to basketball arenas...check out some of these examples:

Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Canada. YYZ is an Air Canada hub.

American Airlines Arena - Miami, FL. MIA is an AA hub.

American Airlines Center - Dallas, TX. DFW is an AA hub.

Delta Center (currently EnergySolutions Arena) - Salt Lake City, UT. SLC is a Delta hub. EnergySolutions is based in Salt Lake City.

FedEx Forum - Memphis, TN. FedEx is based in Memphis and MEM is the hub of their airline operations.

United Center - Chicago, IL. ORD is a United Airlines hub.

US Airways Center - Phoenix, AZ. PHX is a US Airways hub.

...you get the idea-- that's almost 1/4 of the arenas in the NBA. Basically if a legacy carrier has a major hub in your city, they're probably going to want to bid for naming rights to a new arena. Of course, they'll be competing with the other Fortune 500 companies that are based there.

So when it comes time to name the new Orlando Events Center, chances are we'll end up with something like:

AAA Arena

AirTran Arena (ha!)

Amway Arena

Brighthouse Center (oh, the irony)

Darden Center

Disney Center (yeah right)

EA Arena

jetBlue Center (doubt it but would be a nice tie-in with the color scheme and whatnot)

TD Waterhouse Centre (please god not again)

Tiburon Center

Universal Center

"TD Ameritrade"

-HD Supply

-Siemans

-Loews [sic] Hotels

-Adventist Health

-RDV (alt. Amway)

-Hilton Vacation Club

-Martin Lockheed

-Virgin Atlantic-- now this could be a good opp. for Branson to make a bigger name for himself--we are the world's busiest tourist destination...

-Forbes Co.--they developed Millennia (Conroy, mall, Ikea, offices, res., etc.) and are still developing.

-Rosen Hotels-- (LOL!)

-The Golf Channel

-Charles Schwaab

-Busch Entertainment-- a newbie to the area

etc., etc., etc.,

There's only a few companies in the local area big enough or with ties to enough money for naming rights. That's why we ended up with Amway.

I could see..

GE - the owners of Universal

EA Sports - Sports branding, and cool factor.

Nemours - Good way to get their name out there and get more community good will.

Jet Blue

Airtran

Busch - they'd tie in the beer rights.

ESPN - would be cool, but probably a stretch.

Brighthouse - would be good if not for the recent cable deal trouble.

One's I don't see happening...

Disney - alway too cheap or wanting to spend $ on their own property.

AAA - Non profit without the deep pockets of a Nemours.

Darden - Not a big return on investment getting the Darden name out there. Although everyone knows Red Lobster and Olive Garden, nobody really cares about the name Darden.

Ruth Chris - Not big enough or enough money, but would make a good tenant for a restaurant in the arena.

Edited by facilities man

I like this design a lot. However, the lack of prelim. info for the South Street elevation is scary. That is basically a declaration that the South Street elevation is going to blow. I hope I'm wrong. With the PAC on South Street and the new Church Street Station hotel along South Street both coming in, I think the pedestrian movements from South Street to the Arena should be considered. I'm not sure what is going on near the east side of the building. They might need a special police blotter for just that area.

I agree with your concern about this elevation. but, i don't see south st as being a pedestrian friendly road. you have an i4 on and off ramp between garland and division with no traffic lights to slow or stop traffic. there aren't any sidewalks even. i think pedestrian traffic should be routed down church street where there will be a lot more people and places for them to spend their money.

as for the detailing of the south street elevation, i'd like to see the orlando magic logo done in grafiti or a large screen that broadcasts the home games. the lot across south is vacant so the local residents could pull up blankets and chairs and make an evening of it. i have long thought that the same vacant lot could become a dog park for the city of orlando since it butts up against I-4 anyway.

Corporations tend to sponsor civic venues in the cities in which they have a strong presence. Prudential's headquarters is in Newark and Newark International Airport (EWR) is Continental's second largest hub. Airlines seem to love having the naming rights to basketball arenas...check out some of these examples:

Air Canada Centre - Toronto, Canada. YYZ is an Air Canada hub.

American Airlines Arena - Miami, FL. MIA is an AA hub.

American Airlines Center - Dallas, TX. DFW is an AA hub.

Delta Center (currently EnergySolutions Arena) - Salt Lake City, UT. SLC is a Delta hub. EnergySolutions is based in Salt Lake City.

FedEx Forum - Memphis, TN. FedEx is based in Memphis and MEM is the hub of their airline operations.

United Center - Chicago, IL. ORD is a United Airlines hub.

US Airways Center - Phoenix, AZ. PHX is a US Airways hub.

...you get the idea-- that's almost 1/4 of the arenas in the NBA. Basically if a legacy carrier has a major hub in your city, they're probably going to want to bid for naming rights to a new arena. Of course, they'll be competing with the other Fortune 500 companies that are based there.

So when it comes time to name the new Orlando Events Center, chances are we'll end up with something like:

AAA Arena

AirTran Arena (ha!)

Amway Arena

Brighthouse Center (oh, the irony)

Darden Center

Disney Center (yeah right)

EA Arena

jetBlue Center (doubt it but would be a nice tie-in with the color scheme and whatnot)

TD Waterhouse Centre (please god not again)

Tiburon Center

Universal Center

Ive got it you guys will love this how about "HARRIS ROSEN ARENA"

What happened to Ginn? There was an old discussion that they were considering naming rights for the new arena last year. Of course it could not be the "Ginn Arena" it would have to be "Ginn Center" or something.

With their huge resorts, NASCAR team etc they would be a prime candidate with local ties and would benefit from the exposure.

What happened to Ginn? There was an old discussion that they were considering naming rights for the new arena last year. Of course it could not be the "Ginn Arena" it would have to be "Ginn Center" or something.

With their huge resorts, NASCAR team etc they would be a prime candidate with local ties and would benefit from the exposure.

They don't have the NASCAR team anymore. It was failing so he sold it to DEI

How bout naming it Dynetech Center. Oh wait that's taken.

Edited by codypet

Orlando Events Center Design Unveiled

Orlando Magic Press Release

------------------------------------------------------------

Orlando Events Center/Amway Arena Comparison

Orlando Events Center - Design Principles

Fact Sheet

Opening

Fall 2010

Cost

$380 million (total construction cost)

Downtown Orlando; bound by Church St. (north); Hughey Ave. (east); South St. (south); Division Ave. (west)

Owner

City of Orlando

Developer

Events Center Development, LLC

Operator

Allen Johnson, City of Orlando

Primary Tenants

Orlando Magic; Orlando Predators

Functions

NBA and collegiate basketball, arena football, indoor soccer, concerts, hockey, circuses, stage shows, exhibitions

Design Architect

HOK Sport

Local Architects

C.T. Hsu + Associates; Baker Barrios Architects, Inc.

Construction Manager

Hunt Construction Group in association with Rey Group, R.L. Burns, Inc., HZ Construction and Albu & Asscociates, Inc.

Program Manager

Turner Construction Company

Site Acreage

8.75 acres

Number of Levels

7: Event Level; Founders Level; Disabled Seating Level; Main Concourse; Club Level; Terrace Level; Press Box Level

Square Footage

800,000 square feet

Seating Capacities

19,000 (center stage concert)

16,000 (end stage concert)

18,500 (NBA)

20,000 (NCAA basketball)

17,200 (hockey/arena football)

Premium Spaces

56 suites; 4 Chairman suites; 2 super suites; 4 party suites (suites distributed on two levels)

1,428 club seats

328 loge seats

Sustainable Design

Sustainable building design will exist in various categories, including a sustainable site; water efficiency; energy optimization and atmosphere protection; materials and resource conservation; indoor environmental quality and health; and environmentally preferred operations and maintenance

MBE/WBE Participation

Commitment to Blueprint; 31% for design phase

Amenities

If you squint, it looks like you can make out a parking garage structure on the backside of the arena on South Street. This must be the garage the "fact sheet" referred to when it mentioned the "enclosed bridge connecting to planned parking garage."

34197191.jpg

I'm a little concerned about what the immediate area surrounding the arena in Parramore will be like when the complex opens in 2010. I expect rapid development in this area from here on out but I'm wondering if on opening night of the 2010-2011 NBA season, sportswriters will be talking about the unsavory neighborhood abutting the arena. For instance, I wonder how long it will take for a large-scale development to pop up on the parcels between Division/Terry Ave. and Church/South St. That's already prime real estate..

If you squint, it looks like you can make out a parking garage structure on the backside of the arena on South Street. This must be the garage the "fact sheet" referred to when it mentioned the "enclosed bridge connecting to planned parking garage."

34197191.jpg

I'm a little concerned about what the immediate area surrounding the arena in Parramore will be like when the complex opens in 2010. I expect rapid development in this area from here on out but I'm wondering if on opening night of the 2010-2011 NBA season, sportswriters will be talking about the unsavory neighborhood abutting the arena. For instance, I wonder how long it will take for a large-scale development to pop up on the parcels between Division/Terry Ave. and Church/South St. That's already prime real estate..

3 years is a long time. I'm sure there will be some changes in the surroundings.