Amway Center

bic

I'm really not sure how to read this article. The Amway Center has been a rousing success for almost every metric -- most notably how it's build pride around the Magic and the Church St area. The Sentinel has been strangely negative about Amway; one business closing in the immediate vicinity and all of a sudden the building is a failure. A few big acts not coming to town (not that they are bypassing Orlando, they just don't exist)and the building is a failure.

It's clear to almost anyone who has watched the transformation of downtown Orlando that this building is having it's intended effect -- more so, in fact, than almost any other arena that I think of.

The article could have been written better. First, they should have waited until six months after the arena opened before they gave this "update". Also, they should have better described why it is not meeting projectsions. Third, they should have highlighted the positive effect so far. Amway may not hit 150 event nights, but I think the building is having its desired effect for the retailers nearby.

I'm in Orlando now for Thanksgiving with the 'rents and was lucky enough to go to the game last night, my first time checking out the new arena. I was super impressed by everything I saw. The building itself is world-class, Church Street looked great with all of the new establishments getting business from the Amway crowd, there was a ton of Orlando spirit in the air, and parking was painless. All that plus a Magic win over the Heat made it a great night!

I took a bunch of photos so I'll try to post some of them by the weekend.

I'm in Orlando now for Thanksgiving with the 'rents and was lucky enough to go to the game last night, my first time checking out the new arena. I was super impressed by everything I saw. The building itself is world-class, Church Street looked great with all of the new establishments getting business from the Amway crowd, there was a ton of Orlando spirit in the air, and parking was painless. All that plus a Magic win over the Heat made it a great night!

I took a bunch of photos so I'll try to post some of them by the weekend.

Loved the aerials. I watched the game at home in my apartment in 55W. It's kind of weird seeing the building you're in on live TV every few minutes. ;)

I find it rather disappointing that the Magic merchandise store located at street level next to the ticket window can only be accessed if you have tickets to the game. WTF? The front guard told me it was because people can get access to the arena through the store. Well, instead of standing at the store entrance, they should stand at the arena entrance, DUH! Or have that entrance locked up. Hard to imagined that a $500 million state of the art arena cant do that.

Orlando is buying apartments in Parramore near Amway Center, so landlord is booting tenants

The owner of a run-down apartment complex around the corner from the new Amway Center has given his tenants 15 days to move out because he's selling the property to the city of Orlando.

Some tenants of the Haitian Oaks complex are resisting, saying they deserve more notice and the landlord or the city should pay to help them relocate.

On Wednesday, Jeanine Russell and some other tenants were scrambling to pack their belongings.

"He told me I have to get out last Tuesday. I don't like it, but I have to go," said 64-year-old Russell, who has lived at Haitian Oaks with her son for eight years.

The three buildings on West Anderson Street in Parramore, where rent is $400 a month, have a history of city code violations. Last fall, there was a double murder there.

Mohammad Lutfi, who owns about 300 rental units in Parramore, including Haitian Oaks, said he has gone out of his way to help his tenants. He has offered them other apartments he owns and shown them units owned by other landlords. He said he has returned security deposits, and his maintenance workers have used their trucks to move tenants' furniture and other belongings.

http://www.orlandose...0,3564310.story

Edited by DeepEyez

Orlando is buying apartments in Parramore near Amway Center, so landlord is booting tenants

The owner of a run-down apartment complex around the corner from the new Amway Center has given his tenants 15 days to move out because he's selling the property to the city of Orlando.

Some tenants of the Haitian Oaks complex are resisting, saying they deserve more notice and the landlord or the city should pay to help them relocate.

On Wednesday, Jeanine Russell and some other tenants were scrambling to pack their belongings.

"He told me I have to get out last Tuesday. I don't like it, but I have to go," said 64-year-old Russell, who has lived at Haitian Oaks with her son for eight years.

The three buildings on West Anderson Street in Parramore, where rent is $400 a month, have a history of city code violations. Last fall, there was a double murder there.

Mohammad Lutfi, who owns about 300 rental units in Parramore, including Haitian Oaks, said he has gone out of his way to help his tenants. He has offered them other apartments he owns and shown them units owned by other landlords. He said he has returned security deposits, and his maintenance workers have used their trucks to move tenants' furniture and other belongings.

http://www.orlandose...0,3564310.story

There are several things wrong with that situation. 1) No leases??? 2) City allowing the building to remain occupied after major code violations and would rather buy it and demolish it.... 3) 15 day notice isn't enough time. Even a credit card company or a lender gives you a 25-30 day grace period. At the end of the day, it's just another slum lord screwing the most vulnerable on the economic ladder for economic gain. Grimy. Maybe the tenants could get him in a civil suit.

I was at a little Italian restaurant in Boston last night and they were broadcasting the big win over the Heat. Amway looked fantastic in the aerial shots and it was noticed by many of the bar's tenants. Great exposure for Orlando.

It's always more fun to watch them out of town when they win. You should have seen me at ESPN Zone in Times Square last season in the Conference Finals. I was outnumbered about 30:1.

UCF played Florida last night at Amway and by and large the fans I talked to that don't get out there for Magic games were impressed.

Many noted the ease of getting in and out - one from Oviedo commented that he made it home faster than he does from a UCF game and that UCF should take notes.

(BTW UCF 57, Florida 54 - Go Knights!)

Yes. I didn't get a chance to make it into the store before the game I went to last Wednesday thanks to the line outside of it so I went back on Saturday afternoon when there weren't any events going on and it was wide open.

I was there a few hours before the game against the Heat and was able to go inside without issue. It might depend how far in advance to the game's opening that determines whether your are allowed to enter or not.

UCF played Florida last night at Amway and by and large the fans I talked to that don't get out there for Magic games were impressed.

Many noted the ease of getting in and out - one from Oviedo commented that he made it home faster than he does from a UCF game and that UCF should take notes.

(BTW UCF 57, Florida 54 - Go Knights!)

UCF actually had a good transportation plan that they executed the first few games after building the new stadium... they seem to have abandoned it, and reprogrammed the lights incorrectly.

• 1 month later...

Amway Center Bringing Business To Downtown

ORLANDO, Fla. -- There's a new indication Orlando's new half-billion-dollar Amway Center is bringing business to downtown. The city has leased every storefront on W. Church Street.

The Amway Center has drawn more than Orlando Magic fans to downtown Orlando. In the past few months, close to 20 new businesses have opened their doors and others are coming soon.

Blaine Schulte and his partner opened Lubrano's Pizza on W. Church Street on December 19.

"The Amway, we figured there would be a lot of foot traffic," Schulte said.

http://www.wftv.com/...949/detail.html

Edited by DeepEyez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Amway Center's twitter page:

"We're just cleaning up the spire. It deserved a little pampering before its upcoming bday."

Not sure if anyone cares, but here's another update:

Calling it pampering was putting it mildly. According to the Orlando Sentinel, The Amway Center's spire is beginning to rust. It's been wrapped in tarp the past few weeks to protect it from the elements while contractors apply a sealant to prevent future problems. Repairs could take as long as late October to complete. Hunt Construction is ultimately responsible for the cost of any repairs.

• 3 months later...

Well everyone looks like this beautiful new arena will go to waste on the Magic. They can only get in revenue now when elite teams play the Magic, and great concerts come to town. The city of Orlando just built a new home for the Magic and Dwight is leaving. Also, Bass is leaving for “Glen Baby Davis.” The Magic will go back to the Orland Tragedy. All theses opportunities the Magic had to win a championship they blown it. I don’t blame Dwight Howard for wanting to leave because of the way Otis Smith and Gundy destroyed the Magic’s organization. It is their fault we are in this predicament. I am done with the Magic. Now this city will face another decade of suffering. Wow, it is sad this city will never experience having a championship team like Boston, Lakers, Spurs, and the Bulls. I would dream seeing Dwight holding up the championship trophy riding on a float through downtown. The city will never experience that. Otis and Gundy are the new Bonnie and Clyde.