Amway Center

bic

Well everyone looks like this beautiful new arena will go to waste on the Magic. They can only get in revenue now when elite teams play the Magic, and great concerts come to town. The city of Orlando just built a new home for the Magic and Dwight is leaving. Also, Bass is leaving for “Glen Baby Davis.” The Magic will go back to the Orland Tragedy. All theses opportunities the Magic had to win a championship they blown it. I don’t blame Dwight Howard for wanting to leave because of the way Otis Smith and Gundy destroyed the Magic’s organization. It is their fault we are in this predicament. I am done with the Magic. Now this city will face another decade of suffering. Wow, it is sad this city will never experience having a championship team like Boston, Lakers, Spurs, and the Bulls. I would dream seeing Dwight holding up the championship trophy riding on a float through downtown. The city will never experience that. Otis and Gundy are the new Bonnie and Clyde.

Now that Dwight is definitely leaving town, I hope Magic ownership fires both Van Gundy and Smith. Their collective stupidity and insistence on playing non-traditional basketball has made it virtually impossible for the Magic to be very formidable team in the playoffs. I knew from the moment we lost the NBA Finals in 2009, I knew we would never again achieve that feat with that braintrust leading us.

At this point, I have no loyalties to any player or coach on this team and wouldn't a fire sale of all the players and call the coaches being fired. If were going to rebuild, then let's do it with totally new people!

• 1 month later...

Interested to see what other UP'ers think about this ....

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/vips-get-special-nba-all-star-weekend-traffic-trea/nGPS3/

ORLANDO, Fla. —

Orlando city officials told WFTV that they're giving VIP ticket-holders their own lanes of traffic through downtown Orlando during next month's NBA All-Star game.

Certain roads surrounding the Amway Center will be closed for game events, but VIP drivers will still be able to use them.

City officials said a lot of this is being mandated by the NBA, but it really comes down to accommodating people expected to spend upwards of $60 million over four days.

Officials said the city hasn't generated cash like that at once since the 1994 World Cup.

In five weeks, 80,000 people are expected to hit Orlando. That's nearly half the city's population.

Orlando resident Catherine Reyes said she is already dreading the traffic nightmare.

"Especially when there's that going on, and you shut down more streets," Reyes said.

During the four-day all-star event, not only will the city put up a fence around the Amway Center to keep everyday people away from the Amway Center, but on Tuesday, WFTV got the first look at a map that shows how the NBA is asking the city to shut down and reserve major roads for VIPs.

Streets will be closed from West Church Street to Garland, and North Central Avenue to Anderson.

When drivers get off I-4 at South Street, they will have to go through a security checkpoint set up in the middle of the intersection. Only VIPs will be allowed to go straight, and left toward the Amway Center. Everyone else will be directed east of downtown.

WFTV asked transportation engineer Frank Consoli if they're getting special treatment.

"Somewhat. But you forget they're also spending a lot of money in Orlando," Consoli said.

Orlando residents said they spend money, too, every day, and this sends the wrong message.

"If you make a little more money, little bit of a high roller, then get special treatment," Reyes said.

When WFTV asked Reyes "Is that fair?" Reyes said, "No, definitely not!"

But Orlando resident Mark Smith sees no reason to complain about the event expected to pour $65 million to $80 million into the city.

"If we look at the little things and complain about that, they might not come back," Smith said.

WFTV found out that other cities have made similar accommodations for VIPs during All-Star Weekend.

City officials said the NBA wanted even more roads shut down, but they had to draw the line somewhere.

City engineers will be able to control traffic lights to keep all of the traffic moving.

Yeah, agreed. I don't drive much in downtown (since I live and work down here), so I don't care as much. If they start blocking pedestrian routes and the likes, I might have a gripe.

Living in 55 West, I've been stopped by event people multiple times who wish to prevent me from walking down Church to my apartment. I usually just tell them to shove it and walk through anyway, but sometimes they're a little more serious and it can be a real pain in the ass.

All that said, it's hard to complain. Downtown needs a little shot in the arm, and it would be hard to find something as appropriate as the NBA All Star game. It will be over in a few days, and Orlando will receive national attention and lots of money spending. Bring it on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am also curious aswell what else they will be incorperating in this complex. Restraunts, Bars, we know. What else are they going to do with it to make people want to come out all times of the week? In all im glad to hear this, it will only further downtown's core and with a potential soccer stadium a block away will only create more development for this area. Future looks good for Orlando.

I am also curious aswell what else they will be incorperating in this complex. Restraunts, Bars, we know. What else are they going to do with it to make people want to come out all times of the week? In all im glad to hear this, it will only further downtown's core and with a potential soccer stadium a block away will only create more development for this area. Future looks good for Orlando.

I agree - what will get people out in the daytime. That's the million dollar question. More bars and clubs won't do it, and could serve to cannibalize business on Church Street. I'd like to see some retail.

• Like 1

$100 Million isn't going to give us an LA Live type development -- it'll most definitely be smaller scaled.  But here is what I think we might get:

An ESPN zone type restaurant / bar - a national brand; A luxury bowling alley (all the rage these days - LA Live has one); Mid-to-luxury hotel (a Westin or something similar) and assocated restaurant/retail incorporated; and perhaps a House of Blues type establishment (mid-sized concert venue)

• Like 1

$100 Million isn't going to give us an LA Live type development -- it'll most definitely be smaller scaled.  But here is what I think we might get:

An ESPN zone type restaurant / bar - a national brand; A luxury bowling alley (all the rage these days - LA Live has one); Mid-to-luxury hotel (a Westin or something similar) and assocated restaurant/retail incorporated; and perhaps a House of Blues type establishment (mid-sized concert venue)

Agreed, bowling alley would be awesome. A mid-sized concert venue is a necessary, House of Blue's would be perfect. Im tired of going out to "Buena Vista" to see a concert that is supposibly in Orlando, and traffic is always a major pain out there. A high rise hotel and rooftop restaurant (Westin Peachtree Atlanta) or a spire of some sort (Toronto, Seattle) would be a daily attraction that would be nice to see, but unlikely... Thinking big.

I like the idea of a "Sports Village," where Orlando City Soccer, Solar Bears, Predators, and whoever else can have a (small) presence.   

I'd also like to see some local chains like:

• Dexter's
  • Jeremiah's
  • Graffiti Junction
  • Virgin Olive
  • Seito
  • Bubbalou's

As for daytime, a multi-use space might be cool.  It could hold press conferences and other meetings during the day, be rented out for special events, and be the medium-sized music venue mentioned above at night.

I like the idea of a "Sports Village," where Orlando City Soccer, Solar Bears, Predators, and whoever else can have a (small) presence.   

I'd also like to see some local chains like:

• Dexter's
  • Jeremiah's
  • Graffiti Junction
  • Virgin Olive
  • Seito
  • Bubbalou's

As for daytime, a multi-use space might be cool.  It could hold press conferences and other meetings during the day, be rented out for special events, and be the medium-sized music venue mentioned above at night.

Hopefully the hotel mentioned in the presser would include some meeting/convention space that isn't just board room/breakout size. Would be nice to have at least one real ballroom, of course divisible with air walls of 50k sq. ft. or so downtown. I wonder how many guest rooms they're talking about. Having a real convention destination downtown would be a great boon to the CBD. Maybe bring back the Microsoft Global conferences that the old Amway Center hosted.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Homeless shelter may move to make way for Magic complex

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-rescue-mission-20130814,0,6124745.story

Well, the project that keeps being kicked down the road continues to grow like kudzu (I'm going for the prize for mixed metaphors this morning.) It will  definitely clean up a scruffy block and O.U.R. Mission seems to recognize they can drive a hard bargain, so looks like a win-win for everyone at this point. Apparently , we even get to keep the neon cross - yay!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Great news, I hope they can reuse the building with the sign for a different purpose rather than tear it down. This will also be helpful to get homeless traffic away from this block making people more comfortable in the area with the addition of the entertainment complex and soccer stadium. Hopefully adding more successful businesses, retail and bars near Parramore. Not that I have anything against OUR mission, but constant homeless gathering and traffic can really affect property value and interest. Plus a larger facility and newer facility could be helpful.

Great news, I hope they can reuse the building with the sign for a different purpose rather than tear it down. This will also be helpful to get homeless traffic away from this block making people more comfortable in the area with the addition of the entertainment complex and soccer stadium. Hopefully adding more successful businesses, retail and bars near Parramore. Not that I have anything against OUR mission, but constant homeless gathering and traffic can really affect property value and interest. Plus a larger facility and newer facility could be helpful.

I agree. In order for developers to feel comfortable developing in the area, the homeless shelter has to go...at least down the street on the other side of Orange Blossom Trail. It can't possibly hurt to relocate to an area in downtown with much larger space and away from the city core.