Amway Center

bic

Wow! Didn't realize there were so many Gehry haters on UP! I actually like Miss Brooklyn (The name of the tallest tower in that Atlantic Yards project) and the overall design itself. I don't like Gehry's early stuff when he was at USC and Gaudi is one lauded architect that makes me nauseous.

I think Sunshine just wants more exciting architecture in the city beautiful.

I used to be a big fan of Gehry back when his designs were fresh and innovative but now he's been commissioned for so many different buildings, it seems like he's just trying to make the buildings look as crazy as he can without caring if they are aesthetically pleasing. I loved what he did in Bilbao and Chicago but my opinion of him began to change when he designed the Stata Center on the campus of my alma mater. Ever since then I've began to notice that he hasn't put out a new design that I actually liked.

Gehry's Stata Center. Cambridge, MA:

stata-center-5.3.jpg

That said, Gaudi is one of my favorite architects. I've always loved architecture that incorporated design elements found in nature and the plans for his structures are sheer genius, even if the end result ends up appearing cartoonish.

Gaudi's Parc Guell. Barcelona, Spain:

800px-Passage_in_parc_guell.JPG

I too want more exciting architecture in this city but not something that is so drastic, it will look outrageously out of place (like many Gehry buildings).

That's the point Jack. It's about fluidity. Movement. Not static lines.

If you want to learn about the development of modern architecture and how we got there check out Le Corbusier:

Le Corbusier wanted to turn this:

Towards_Montmartre_from_the_Eiffel_Tower.jpg

into this:

voisin2.jpg

Plan voisin pour Paris

Most everything that is wrong with modern architecture can be attributed to this man.

Without reading details, I suspect a lot of the money would be used to acquire the land and land price is primiere in NYC area. The complex include office and residential components. Plus, 400 millions naming right should cover majority fo the cost. It is a design that will draw tourists and definitely jump start any city.

Orlando's is half the cost but the design is not half as grand and bold. That's the diffrence between a big city trying to compete and a big city wannabe.

But either way, our event center will have the better team.

Sunshine,

The new arena in Brooklyn was $1B for the arena, not the surrounding buildings, which are being built through other funds.

I understand the want of abtract buildings in the Orlando, but you don't want something that looks like a sore thumb around what else we have downtown. That is NYC, they can build stuff like that and get away with it because there is so much else around to over it up.

That isn't teh case here. I like the new arena design and its simplicity.

Completely alien is not amazing... Check out some more Eyesores of the Month for rediculous signature architecture on Kunstler's website. As if a Daniel Leibskind or Frank Ghery or even a Rem Koolhaas Event Center as a signature is what we need? If you think so, you probably like the brutalist OC Library on Central, built at the denouement of the style.

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200801.html

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200706.html

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200611.html

But, I'll take a Calatrava designed event center anytime!

Jaybee you rock! I love this site. Thanks for sharing.

Here's an example of a small conservative city (Tulsa, OK) with a vanilla skyline consisting mostly of boxy towers and older brick buildings (not unlike our own) which recently had a radical piece of engineering by an esteemed architect (Cesar Pelli) plopped into its downtown.

tulsa_39_9377.jpg

tulsa_05_9622.jpg

I'm not applauding its design, as I think it's a bit too extreme for its context and appears to have poor street interaction, but it just goes to show you that there are American cities even smaller and more architecturally conservative than Orlando that have commissioned extravagant civic structures.

Tulsa and cities like it can do that because they are geographically isolated from other major urban centers. Orlando is a hop skip and a jump from the Miami area and even closer to Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Okay maybe Jacksonville isn't a MAJOR urban center, but you know what I mean. Tulsa and OKC can get neat things done because when it comes to civilization out there, they are IT. Period. Orlando is not in that situation.

And BOK Center is a bit...make that WAY too extreme for the skyline (BTW, Tulsa's skyline kicks serious butt. I used to live pretty close by. They have some really cool examples of Art Deco architecture). But they got it done, and the city can grow and adapt to it now.

Tulsa and cities like it can do that because they are geographically isolated from other major urban centers. Orlando is a hop skip and a jump from the Miami area and even closer to Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Okay maybe Jacksonville isn't a MAJOR urban center, but you know what I mean. Tulsa and OKC can get neat things done because when it comes to civilization out there, they are IT. Period. Orlando is not in that situation.

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst excuses I have ever heard.

That building is gorgeous. I think this kind of development will push the city to the modern era which in turns will encourage more innovative design within the city core. Out of context is what make it unique. You got to start somewhere instead of continuously building boxy stuff.

Do you think our arena design will fit better in Tulsa?

What is the budget of that building? Do they even have a team playing there? It seems like the "Stealsonics" aka thunder could have go there.

and...Orlando do not take a backseat to Tampa nor Miami when it comes to "IT" factor.

And BOK Center is a bit...make that WAY too extreme for the skyline (BTW, Tulsa's skyline kicks serious butt. I used to live pretty close by. They have some really cool examples of Art Deco architecture). But they got it done, and the city can grow and adapt to it now.

Radiostatic you have just lost credibility with me on that statement. You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

Radiostatic you have just lost credibility with me on that statement. You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

Honestly, did I even have any credibility with you to begin with? I lost nothing. I came to this forum for fun. Not to get my credibility or lack thereof smeared. I'll not contribute to the forum anymore, to spare you all of my extreme stupidity.