Amway Center

bic

scaled back? they addressed the tower issue a while back. it changed from the original design.

I know they redesigned it, but I was under the impression that there was still an element of it (as shown in the rendering in my post) that rose above the rest of the tower & the roofline of the building. In the pics of the model, it looks like that element isn't there.

I know they redesigned it, but I was under the impression that there was still an element of it (as shown in the rendering in my post) that rose above the rest of the tower & the roofline of the building. In the pics of the model, it looks like that element isn't there.

If you look closely at the rendering, you'll see that the body of the tower looks like it tops out below the roof line of the darker gray portion of the arena. The spire is supposed to be 199-feet tall and you can see that it will top out just above the main roof of the arena. It's not like the spire is drastically taller than everything else in the rendering-- it's just an illusion thanks to the perspective and fish-eye effect used.

If you look closely at the rendering, you'll see that the body of the tower looks like it tops out below the roof line of the darker gray portion of the arena. The spire is supposed to be 199-feet tall and you can see that it will top out just above the main roof of the arena. It's not like the spire is drastically taller than everything else in the rendering-- it's just an illusion thanks to the perspective and fish-eye effect used.

Curreck-mee-yiffahm-wrowng..... but the main structure of the building (which is just about topped out now) is roughly six stories tall. Taking into account that the bottom floor is a bit taller than the ones above it, & the others may possibly be a bit taller than the standard office building floor.... or maybe not.....the main portion of the building stilll can't be more than about 70 or 80 feet tall.

If that spire is, as you say, supposed to be 199 ft. tall, that's more than "just above" the main roof. The spire would extend around 120 feet above the rest of the arena. I'd call that "drastically taller" than everything else.

I'm thinking maybe the spire is supposed to be closer to 100 ft. (?) :dontknow:

^^

it is 6 or so levels, but we're talkin really tall floor levels. But now that I think about it, you do make a good point. I wonder if each level is 20' tall, then it would be about 120'+ to the roof. Man, that is a big bldg, though. I know the Plaza first two levels are something like 35' or so, and this looks somewhat similar...

^^

it is 6 or so levels, but we're talkin really tall floor levels. But now that I think about it, you do make a good point. I wonder if each level is 20' tall, then it would be about 120'+ to the roof. Man, that is a big bldg, though. I know the Plaza first two levels are something like 35' or so, and this looks somewhat similar...

Well, for a height comparison, take a look at the Zora Neal Hurston State Office Bldg. up on Robinson. That bldg. is 10 stories which puts it in the 100' tall range. I don't think the arena is going to be anywhere near as tall as that. Even if the five floors above the bottom floor were each let's say, 12', which is pretty tall, that would be 60', & let's say the boittom floor was 20' tall, add that to the 60' & you're still only at 80'.

From the looks of the rendering & the model, that spire might not end up being very tall.

I was kinda hoping for it to be impressive, especially right off of I-4 like that.

We'll see. We're gettin what we're gettin.

Well, for a height comparison, take a look at the Zora Neal Hurston State Office Bldg. up on Robinson. That bldg. is 10 stories which puts it in the 100' tall range. I don't think the arena is going to be anywhere near as tall as that. Even if the five floors above the bottom floor were each let's say, 12', which is pretty tall, that would be 60', & let's say the boittom floor was 20' tall, add that to the 60' & you're still only at 80'.

From the looks of the rendering & the model, that spire might not end up being very tall.

I was kinda hoping for it to be impressive, especially right off of I-4 like that.

We'll see. We're gettin what we're gettin.

It will be 135 (or 125) feet to the roof line and the tower will be taller.

Construction on this seems to be coming along great....but can someone explain to me the gap I can see on the camera? Thanks!

There are three gaps that I can see. As you look at it from the south (with north up) there's one at 2:00 that you can see from the webcam; one at 10:00 and one at 12:00. I'm just guessing but it might be just in case the building settles. Fill the gaps last to prevent cracking. That's my guess.

There are three gaps that I can see. As you look at it from the south (with north up) there's one at 2:00 that you can see from the webcam; one at 10:00 and one at 12:00. I'm just guessing but it might be just in case the building settles. Fill the gaps last to prevent cracking. That's my guess.

i would come closer to saying that the 'gaps' remain for the purpose of interior construction. at ucf's new arena, there was a massive gap in the front for moving equipment and materials in/out until the very last phase.

your theory is certainly plausible as well though. perhaps differen't gaps serve different purposes.

^^

that party, bulldogger, at the plaza was on the PH of the South Tower, right, b/c 55W blocks the North Tower view of the Arena...

^^

as for the size, the arena is very tall. the thing so looks like it's near the footprint of the Citrus Bowl. I was at Citrus Club yesterday marveling at its grandeur. It's so worth the bank. I can't wait for it to be incorporated into the Church St. corridor.

I was on the North Tower, but I could only see it when I walked around the building (interior south side of the north tower) if I remember correctly. I think there was a view between 55W and SunTrust. It's a little foggy at this point. I don't get up there regularly.