Amway Center

bic

Does anyone have an updated route for Lymmo once the Amyway is open? It obviously doesn't make sense for it to do a 360 at the Amelia St. garage. It looks like it should continue down Hughey and drop/pick up people at Church St. or Bob Snow Lane. I'm looking at the satellite view of the area surrounding the Amway and am surprised at all the bare dirt. Is this land the city condemned and cleared? I see potential for another development with a parking garage similar to the Post apartments in Thornton Park. Long term, a rental residential development within walking distance to the Arena and Church St. club district should do well. First what to do about the social services corridor on Central. They may not need to be moved but just updated. The Salvation Army in downtown Sarasota is well designed and actually adds to the atmosphere of the neighborhood instead of detracting -- even with the lines of homeless waiting for a bed for the night.

Would a LYMMO route expansion/alteration to service the Amway Center require the studies and votes that the major future route expansion has to go through?

Yes, the study is already underway: Article link

Proposed route:

643121-300-0-2.jpg

The East-West route would help a lot of us living in the downtown core get to and from Publix for our grocery shopping. Right now, if I have to carry more than a bag full or so, I have to drive my car down from my 8th floor parking spot, outside, and over to Publix and in their garage. I might be able to carry a bit more if I knew I wasn't going to have to haul it such a long distance.

Does anyone know why the trees closest to I-4 were removed today from the recently landscaped section of the arena? I hope they did not decide to replace these with palms which really provide no shade and are not an adequate cooling mechanism.

I can speculate ... they're working on the rather large Amway Center logo thats going to be on the north side of the spire ... maybe the trees were causing problems with getting the cranes in the right spot?

I hope they don't do palms.

From the webcam today:

ScreenShot040.jpg

And it looks like the brick street is being placed in:

ScreenShot041.jpg

On somewhat of a side note, I really feel as though Orlando has emerged with it's own unique sense of style (from other Florida metros) over the last 5 years, especially downtown. I like that Orlando does not attempt to emulate a "South Florida" feel, rather choosing to landscape and street-scape with materials that are more reflective of itself, such as the brick streets, smaller footprints along the sidewalks, and shade trees like oaks, cypress, and maples. The redevelopment of Church Street around 55 West, with the roundabout and large oak, as well as the overall design template for sidewalks in the downtown development district, have really done wonders for giving the whole area a unique sense of self. What do others think?

Edited by prahaboheme

The Amway Center is going to be AWESOME once it opens up!!!!

I drive by it everday on the way to work and can see the future it is going to INSPIRE in the Parramore/Church Street Area.

Downtown Orlando is going to benefit immensely from this new events center. I'm EXCITED!!!

I just came across this rendering of the garage from Dec 2009 -- someone please tell me they did not go el cheapo with the city logo and replace it with some ridiculous ladder art instillation? Hopefully this was prior to the final details (which presumably include the city logo).

ScreenShot10.jpg

Edited by prahaboheme

Assuming he [shaq] won't be hurt by that point in the season. The opener against Washington will be a tough ticket to nab. I hope to return to the City Beautiful for the match up against Miami (whenever that may be). I'll also be at the Hornets game when Miami comes to town (and Orlando of course).

Edited by XAdamX

What's with the ladder crap? So random. I hope that isn't their intention for that wall.

And...the Magic will host the Celtics on Xmas Day at Amway along with the Celtics' new backup center, Shaq!

Way for the Celtics to steal the thunder from the Heat. This is going to be an interesting season.

Shaq is old and useless. They won't steal anyone's thunder... again.