Amway Center

bic

They meaning the Celtics?

I beg to differ.

Why's that? By the time the playoffs roll around, Boston's key players will all be a year older, and except for Rondo, they're all dinosaurs to begin with. I'll be shocked and amazed if they can actually repeat what they did this season. Hell, I'll be shocked if they're even healthy.

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this, but I thought it would relevant to the discussion of the Amway Center.

Florida Citrus Sports Shootout Pairs UF-UCF At Amway Center

The University of Florida and UCF basketball teams will meet later this year in Orlando for the Florida Citrus Sports Shootout. The “Shootout” will take place Wednesday, December 1, and will be the first-ever collegiate game at the brand-new Amway Center in Orlando.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the only or main I-4 exit to the new arena will be the South street exit? On top of that, Church St will be closed for Fan Fest? So for ppl not attending the game and heading DT, they will be majorly screwed?? At least with the old arena location, there are still traffic on I-4, but you at least escape some of it taking the South st exit.

Edited by tennis32801

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the only or main I-4 exit to the new arena will be the South street exit? On top of that, Church St will be closed for Fan Fest? So for ppl not attending the game and heading DT, they will be majorly screwed?? At least with the old arena location, there are still traffic on I-4, but you at least escape some of it taking the South st exit.

If you are driving west bound Anderson st.

The major difference between the old and new is that the old arena was surrounded by a sea of parking on 4 sides. This creates a situation where there must be ample access from various locations to the arena to avoid congestion. Of course with that amount of traffic it's nearly impossible to avoid it to some capacity.

The new arena is much more condensed and parking is only accessible from the South Street garage as well as various other garages sprinkled throughout downtown. For this reason, all cars will not be converging on the arena in the same way that it does now. Theoretically, this should actually help to relieve congestion.

Orlando - The Orlando Magic have signed forward Stanley Robinson.

Robinson was originally selected by Orlando during the second round (59th overall) of the 2010 NBA Draft. Robinson (6'9", 210) appeared in 126 career games at the University of Connecticut, averaging 9.8 ppg., 6.2 rpg., 1.0 apg. and 1.03 blkpg. during his four-year collegiate career. As a senior (2009-10), he averaged 14.5 ppg., a team-high 7.6 rpg., 1.0 apg. and 1.21 blkpg. for the Huskies.

Robinson helped UConn reach the NCAA Final Four in 2009.

The Magic will open the 2010-2011 NBA regular season by hosting Washington on October 28. <BR clear=all>

This is great for the Orlando Magic because Robinson is a 6'9" SF who is a hustler, great dunker, and can improve on his shooting: he is the height of Kevin Durant and LeBron James. Stanley Robinson will be a good player in the NBA.

From the city of Orlando

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, October 1 at 10:01 a.m. Mayor Buddy Dyer, City Commissioners and the Orlando Magic welcome the entire community for the official ribbon cutting ceremony to dedicate the building to our community. Immediately following, you will be the first to enter the building on "opening day" and invited into the Amway Center for Mayor Dyer's annual State of Downtown address. This year, the State of Downtown is a free event, open to all residents.

The major difference between the old and new is that the old arena was surrounded by a sea of parking on 4 sides. This creates a situation where there must be ample access from various locations to the arena to avoid congestion. Of course with that amount of traffic it's nearly impossible to avoid it to some capacity.

The new arena is much more condensed and parking is only accessible from the South Street garage as well as various other garages sprinkled throughout downtown. For this reason, all cars will not be converging on the arena in the same way that it does now. Theoretically, this should actually help to relieve congestion.

The new garage is only intended to handle a small portion of the capacity crowds. A larger proportion will be in other garages around the CBD. So, there will be much less "converging" going on; and a lot more foot traffic from all over downtown. You'll also see a lot more "dinner and a game," which will spread out arrival times. The old plan: eat drive park game. The new plan: drive park eat game.

The new garage is only intended to handle a small portion of the capacity crowds. A larger proportion will be in other garages around the CBD. So, there will be much less "converging" going on; and a lot more foot traffic from all over downtown. You'll also see a lot more "dinner and a game," which will spread out arrival times. The old plan: eat drive park game. The new plan: drive park eat game.

Yeah, well said.

The retail places along Church and Pine that are being constructed right now are very much aware of this and are scrambling to be open by October 1st.

It really seems the intended effect of the arena location on area businesses is already panning out. Church Street retail/restaurant is really picking up and momentum is building.

New retail/restaurant in the area:

Mojo's Bar and Grill (former Rosie O'Gradys space)

Heat Restaurant (55 West Church Street)

Baby Grands Dueling Piano Bar (54 West Church St)

7-Eleven (Pine Street)

Should these businesses thrive at this location I think we are going to see a considerable amount of development and reinvestment in the years to come.

It really seems the intended effect of the arena location on area businesses is already panning out. Church Street retail/restaurant is really picking up and momentum is building.

New retail/restaurant in the area:

Mojo's Bar and Grill (former Rosie O'Gradys space)

Heat Restaurant (55 West Church Street)

Baby Grands Dueling Piano Bar (54 West Church St)

7-Eleven (Pine Street)

Should these businesses thrive at this location I think we are going to see a considerable amount of development and reinvestment in the years to come.

Two others:

Deja Vu on Pine St.

Blends in 55 W (yet to materialize.)

It seems only right that investments like this ripple out into the rest of Downtown Orlando. People who come from all over Central Florida for either a game or concert at the Amway Center will rightfully expect places to eat and shop while making their visit. I can only imagine the number of businesses that will take advantage of growth that downtown is poised for once SunRail has been established and the Dr. Phillips Center has been built.

Does anybody know what happened to the plans for a Hilton Hotel on the corner of W. South Street and S. Garland Avenue?

It was supposed to be connected to the Church Street Station and behind the future SunRail stop at Church Street.

It seems only right that investments like this ripple out into the rest of Downtown Orlando. People who come from all over Central Florida for either a game or concert at the Amway Center will rightfully expect places to eat and shop while making their visit. I can only imagine the number of businesses that will take advantage of growth that downtown is poised for once SunRail has been established and the Dr. Phillips Center has been built.

Does anybody know what happened to the plans for a Hilton Hotel on the corner of W. South Street and S. Garland Avenue?

It was supposed to be connected to the Church Street Station and behind the future SunRail stop at Church Street.

The Hilton seems to have died. It disappeared from the DDB's website during the 2nd quarter business activity update. I loved the styling of that building, and I hope that project gets revived at some point. A nice new hotel almost exactly halfway between Amway Center and DPAC would be a good investment, I think.

I loved the idea of a Hilton on this location, but the materials proposed were a bit questionable and the design (a sort of Mediterranean Revival / Queen Anne fusion) was awkward. For such a visible location I was wary the Hilton proposal would have a negative lasting impression on the skyline.

This is how it would have looked (the color combination seemed to clash with pretty much everything around it):

ScreenShot046.jpg

It probably would of looked much better if it was all-white. To give it a more regal look in the heart of downtown, sort of like the Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans......

But I'm confident somethings going to happen on that parcel of land, sooner or later.

I hope Parramore in general develops immensely as a result of the investment made in the neighborhood. There should be more CityViews and commercial space around the Amway Center in my opinion.

Edited by DeepEyez