Amway Center

bic

Magic's new Amway Center arena a true home-grown effort

Responding to a tough economy and complaints about the handling of local contracts when the Orlando Magic built the original Amway Arena more than 20 years ago, the club used several local and minority- and woman-owned firms to help with construction of the new Amway Center.

Eugene Roberson's Orlando-based construction company installed the seats in the summer. The steel panels with lights in the corner tower were made six blocks away by a steel manufacturing company.

Edited by DeepEyez

I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier. During the Magic game against New Orleans this past weekend, I remember hearing Rich Devos, owner of the Orlando Magic, state that he plans on doing what he did with Grand Rapids to Orlando and in that YouTube clip above Bob Vander Weide, CEO and Vice-Chairman of Orlando Magic, made mention of future investments. I wonder if they plan on developing further into Parramore and really sprucing up the neighborhood.

If you want an example of what they've done in Grand Rapids, Michigan, well here you go......

Van Andel Arena

Devos Place

Devos Performance Hall

Sorry, but I'm underwhelmed that DeVos would want to duplicate what he "did with Grand Rapids" in a metro area 4 times that size. We already have the venues in operation or in the works that exist there. If he wants to do something like that how about redoing the Citrus Bowl?

I went to the arena for the first time this past Friday to see Chelsea Handler. I have to say, I really liked the new arena (can we still call it "arena"? sounds better than "center" imo). What really impressed me most was how helpful and friendly the staff was. I never went to the old Arena, so I don't know how to compare it, but I had people with me from out of town that were impressed by both the arena and its service ("People are so nice here!").

We also walked around downtown a lot and visited some bars, which they loved -- too bad more tourists don't make it up. Not that I want City Walk or Downtown Disney to go under, per se, but why give our home-grown downtown unnecessary competition? I completely agree with what people are saying in other threads: I hope House of Blues moves to downtown and we really need to embrace the fun and lively downtown scene that we have.

I was amazed at the amount of people streaming out of the arena right down Church St (and that was the arena half full!). Anyway, I can't wait to go see a Magic Game.

Sorry, but I'm underwhelmed that DeVos would want to duplicate what he "did with Grand Rapids" in a metro area 4 times that size. We already have the venues in operation or in the works that exist there. If he wants to do something like that how about redoing the Citrus Bowl?

I was actually thinking the same thing; if he wants to do something like this a Citrus Bowl renovation with an adjacent entertainment district may be necessary considering that the Citrus Bowl lives in relative isolation. Amway does not, so it almost seems as if he isn't paying attention.

They should have told her that her patrons wouldn't be able to take the candy into the arena.. dry.gif Hopefully she can survive!

I logged on today specifically to ask some of the posters that live nearby how the arena was affecting businesses and I found this article. Clearly a pattern is being brought to everyone's attention here. And I'm sure it's not too surprising for most of us. Until there are more residents LIVING within closer proximity to the arena the only businesses that will benefit the most will be the bars, casual/quick serve restaurants, and (to a lesser extent) clubs. I feel for the candy store owner, but I don't think a shop like that can thrive just off arena patrons. It's just not a good fit. And to think that she, a business owner, would think that the arena would let people bring her candy inside is a little foolish. I'm sorry, but it is. Once a few more condos or apartments are built within a couple block then it may have a chance. Keep in mind too that this is a new business. It's not like she has an abundance of regular customers.

Typically, people showing up to have fun before a game or concert are moving around. Maybe get a quick sandwich, hop a couple doors down for a beer or two, and maybe stroll for a minute before they head inside. I think that's why the article mentioned that Ceviche wasn't full. It's a little nicer, calmer dining destination. Certainly not the type of spot I prefer to spend time at before a game when I'm with my buddies probably being a bit loud. I am all for diversity when it comes to businesses, but until the constant foot traffic is there between games and concerts the candy shops, suit shops, and other businesses that arena patrons could care less about are not going to just cruise along like maybe they had hoped. With that being said I hope they figure out a way to make it work. I don't like to hear about any local business closing.

I heard that they're working around the clock at this point to get it done.

I drove by the Amway Center the other day and noticed that the embankment work under Interstate 4 was completed. It may have been like that for the past few weeks, but It was the first time I had drove around that area since the opening. Looks pretty neat now by the Amway I must say.

$4.6M Spent To Spruce Up Area Around Amway Center

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The city of Orlando spent a bundle on the new Amway Center and officials spared no expense accessorizing the outside too. They spent nearly $5 million "spiffing up" parts of Church Street.

WFTV asked why your tax money bought things like benches at $4,200 a piece.

Crews are putting the finishing touches on a multi-million dollar Church Street makeover. Buried in the $480 million Amway Center budget was $4.6 million to spruce up the area around the center, including the I-4 underpass at Church Street where, at first glance, you may not even notice the pricey changes.

Spruced Up Underpass

Edited by DeepEyez

What does everyone think -- was the price tag worth it?

Even though I have yet to see it with my own eyes I would say yes. I think that to not make the area outside the arena as lively as the inside would have been like taking two steps back. Is five mil a little much to drop on improvements in an economy like this? Maybe. Will the investment pay for itself by increasing business patronage and thus increasing tax revenue? I certainly think so.

You want visitors to feel safe when going to and leaving this venue. If a family feels the immediate area outside is a little sketchy then they are just going to park in the Amway garage and not east of I-4. And you also want to try to mirror the vibrancy that people experience inside when they step outside. That is why I feel the projectors, the lights, and the art installations are necessary. Funny thing is, many of the people that may be mumbling about the five million would be the same people that would rant if no improvements were done.

Even though I have yet to see it with my own eyes I would say yes. I think that to not make the area outside the arena as lively as the inside would have been like taking two steps back. Is five mil a little much to drop on improvements in an economy like this? Maybe. Will the investment pay for itself by increasing business patronage and thus increasing tax revenue? I certainly think so.

You want visitors to feel safe when going to and leaving this venue. If a family feels the immediate area outside is a little sketchy then they are just going to park in the Amway garage and not east of I-4. And you also want to try to mirror the vibrancy that people experience inside when they step outside. That is why I feel the projectors, the lights, and the art installations are necessary. Funny thing is, many of the people that may be mumbling about the five million would be the same people that would rant if no improvements were done.

I totally agree. I think although it amounts to $5 million dollars, it is definitely worth it because clearly none of the businesses in and around the Church Street District were going to put up the money to spruce up the place. As a student of economics, I have always believed that government-led public investments free up private businesses and investors to do other productive things with their finances such as reinvesting into their businesses for the consumers pleasure at a turn of a profit. It's a win-win because now family's will feel safe walking the public streets between the Amway Center and the local businesses nearby. That's why we pay taxes, to keep this city beautiful.

I totally agree. I think although it amounts to $5 million dollars, it is definitely worth it because clearly none of the businesses in and around the Church Street District were going to put up the money to spruce up the place. As a student of economics, I have always believed that government-led public investments free up private businesses and investors to do other productive things with their finances such as reinvesting into their businesses for the consumers pleasure at a turn of a profit. It's a win-win because now family's will feel safe walking the public streets between the Amway Center and the local businesses nearby. That's why we pay taxes, to keep this city beautiful.

I think if it gets people out shopping over there, bringing in more tax revenue, or at least going to more events at the Amway Center so that facility makes itself worth what we paid for it, its probably worth it. I just wish they bidded a bit more competitively, they definitely could have done the same for much less if there wasn't so many restrictions on who could bid...