Amway Center

bic

I'm a little concerned about what the immediate area surrounding the arena in Parramore will be like when the complex opens in 2010. I expect rapid development in this area from here on out but I'm wondering if on opening night of the 2010-2011 NBA season, sportswriters will be talking about the unsavory neighborhood abutting the arena. For instance, I wonder how long it will take for a large-scale development to pop up on the parcels between Division/Terry Ave. and Church/South St. That's already prime real estate..

I take the South St. exit every am. South to Terry or Division then to Church and then into DT. there's a '50's style apt. bldg. on the west side of Division near Church. If they buy up and rezone the abutting parcels to Division from Church to South and put 2-3 story retail bldgs/ mixed use there, I think that would do the trick. Just like with Lake Nona, if you have several entities involved, I think they can get it done.

I take the South St. exit every am. South to Terry or Division then to Church and then into DT. there's a '50's style apt. bldg. on the west side of Division near Church. If they buy up and rezone the abutting parcels to Division from Church to South and put 2-3 story retail bldgs/ mixed use there, I think that would do the trick. Just like with Lake Nona, if you have several entities involved, I think they can get it done.

That would tie in nicely with the church if they made some condos upper level/retail shops on ground level.

3 videos with the designers posted. Link

One of the architects in the 3rd video mentioned that the arena's practice court will have windows so that people walking by on the street will be able to peer inside. He likened it to how old baseball stadiums used to have places where folks from the neighborhood would be able to sneak a peek of the game from the outside of the building. What a great idea!

One of the architects in the 3rd video mentioned that the arena's practice court will have windows so that people walking by on the street will be able to peer inside. He likened it to how old baseball stadiums used to have places where folks from the neighborhood would be able to sneak a peek of the game from the outside of the building. What a great idea!

I dont know how clear that is, but this entire stadium will be built atop the practice stadium & magic offices. The magic will be completely moving out of RDV.

I dont know how clear that is, but this entire stadium will be built atop the practice stadium & magic offices. The magic will be completely moving out of RDV.

I was wondering about that.

What happens to RDV then? It loses some prestige by no longer being the Magic training site. Went there for a little while. Their membership prices are outrageous, but it is a nice facility.

Anyone interested in an oversized workout club with two ice rinks, pools, three basketball courts, and a tennis center?

If you squint, it looks like you can make out a parking garage structure on the backside of the arena on South Street. This must be the garage the "fact sheet" referred to when it mentioned the "enclosed bridge connecting to planned parking garage."

34197191.jpg

I'm a little concerned about what the immediate area surrounding the arena in Parramore will be like when the complex opens in 2010. I expect rapid development in this area from here on out but I'm wondering if on opening night of the 2010-2011 NBA season, sportswriters will be talking about the unsavory neighborhood abutting the arena. For instance, I wonder how long it will take for a large-scale development to pop up on the parcels between Division/Terry Ave. and Church/South St. That's already prime real estate..

I fully agree bic! The explosive growth in the area between Church and Anderson (North/South) and Division and Parramore (East/West) during the next 2-3 years will be amazing and fun to watch! If the City paid $8.4M for a small boarding house and a couple run down homes on a small lot, can you imagine what kind of tax revenue they expect from the surrounding area? I imagine property values are growing exponentially as we speak!

I wish they would put some ground level retail on the South Street side of the Events Center. Are there any plans for this or will be just a wall and a skyway connecting the parking garage across the street?

Do they plan on convert South and Anderson Sts to two-way? It seems like they should 2-way these two major streets at least until PArramore or Westmoreland, in order to allow better traffic flow. I can picture 4-5 story buildings with retail/office on the ground floor all along South Street connecting into the Parramore Business District.

What will the city do with all that land they have acquired on South Street which they acquired a couple years ago for the Public Safety complex?

So many possibilities for this area....practically a clean sheet of paper to let your creativity run wild! COngratulations Orlando! Go Magic!

I fully agree bic! The explosive growth in the area between Church and Anderson (North/South) and Division and Parramore (East/West) during the next 2-3 years will be amazing and fun to watch! If the City paid $8.4M for a small boarding house and a couple run down homes on a small lot, can you imagine what kind of tax revenue they expect from the surrounding area? I imagine property values are growing exponentially as we speak!

I wish they would put some ground level retail on the South Street side of the Events Center. Are there any plans for this or will be just a wall and a skyway connecting the parking garage across the street?

Do they plan on convert South and Anderson Sts to two-way? It seems like they should 2-way these two major streets at least until PArramore or Westmoreland, in order to allow better traffic flow. I can picture 4-5 story buildings with retail/office on the ground floor all along South Street connecting into the Parramore Business District.

What will the city do with all that land they have acquired on South Street which they acquired a couple years ago for the Public Safety complex?

So many possibilities for this area....practically a clean sheet of paper to let your creativity run wild! COngratulations Orlando! Go Magic!

Im also worried that we dont have enough people who are willing to be a part of this. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a ghost town except for events... we really need a booming downtonw.

Edited by PMWMagic

• 7 months later...

Isnt someone famous are designing the parking gagrage?

I think they should leave a big courtyard at the south side to host outdoor activities and put a huge screen there to broadcast the game for people to watch it outside. The courtyard can also reserve space for furture red carpet walk when we still Oscar, MTV award or grammy from LA and Miami. lol......

Anyway, anyone here have insights about the masterplan for the surrounding area? I dont think those buildings on the west end of the Magic arena going to sit there for long. A few high end hotels and conference space would be good there.

I still think the design is a bit boxy and old fashion. A too conservative design.

Even this initial rendering looks more interesting than the finished design

events%20center%20looking%20east.jpg

Did they release any details on how they plan to go green on this building?

masterplan_map.jpg

From what it looks like on the 'masterplan' pic above, it could be a parking garage.

Anyone know whats happening to the "north" of city vue and to the 'west" of it according to this picture? I know they paid big $$$ for the land there. If they used the funny structure to reprent a parking garage, it looks like there may be 3 more?

Edited by PMWMagic

Looking at that foot print makes me think what if the arena is built one block west from it current location, what would be the impact of the development.

At current location, you only have one and a half adjacent block for other development but if it is one block west, there are 6 adjacent city block that you can redevelop.

Isnt someone famous are designing the parking gagrage?

C.T. Hsu

I spoke to him about it. The conversation was something like... "we all loved Magnum, and we hear that Blue Steel is gonna totally blow us away"...

this is supposed to be the Blue Steel of parking decks...

That's the site for the parking garage.

gotcha

good stuff. This thing is going to look massive from I-4. It's straddled so closely. Once Pizzuti lot gets filled it's going to be almost wall to wall density on both sides of I-4 driving through downtown. Real cool.

Orlando is one of the few downtowns I've driven through where the buildings are SO CLOSE to the major highway. Gives it a pretty dramatic effect, even though the buildings aren't all that tall. Imagine if Orlando had a 6-700 footer right on the edge of I-4... I hope we see the day.