Amway Center

bic

That is Boston though, not Orlando.

Different lifestyles, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Again, I disagree. The only reason people in Orlando are not getting out of their cars is because it is impossible to get anywhere otherwise. It may not change anytime soon, but there's really no better time to start.

Just looking at the aerial shots and Bird's Eye View shots (by the way, the BEV shots are awesome on http://maps.live.com) and Church St. looks fantastic by the arena. Appears to be some great mixed-use development on the northside of Church. So we know the parking garages will be south of South St.

What about the west side of Division? Appears to be apartments there, but what kind of condition are they in? Are they candidates for demolition?

Just looking at the aerial shots and Bird's Eye View shots (by the way, the BEV shots are awesome on http://maps.live.com) and Church St. looks fantastic by the arena. Appears to be some great mixed-use development on the northside of Church. So we know the parking garages will be south of South St.

What about the west side of Division? Appears to be apartments there, but what kind of condition are they in? Are they candidates for demolition?

Those apartments on division and church need to be torn down or heavily remodeled. They are so old and ugly.

that first bldg scares the c-rap out of me. I keep expecting to see Caesar rallying all of his fellow apes as they rush the humans... brutalism to the n'th degree perhaps?

the second one looks like the War of the Worlds Tom Cruise aliens' idea of an arena.

Here's another building in China that looks cool (to me at least)... I know it is not an arena, but the texture / skinning could be similar.

comp.jpg

Full story and more pics...

MAD Architects Honeycomb Skyscraper

Round off the building edges, invert and elongate the hexagons and how does it differ from our soon to be demolished American Federal Savings & Loan Bulding? Orlando is so ahead of its time.

Round off the building edges, invert and elongate the hexagons and how does it differ from our soon to be demolished American Federal Savings & Loan Bulding? Orlando is so ahead of its time.

I think it has something to do with inherent strength in the honeycomb shape. Maybe someone else could pipe in and let us know if that is a good way of dealing with shearing...??? I'm just pulling this out of arse, so anyone... please.

I just hope the new facility is a catalist to new development in the immediate vicinity.

how much meeting space will this thing have ala conventions? that could be a start, b/c they could book hotel rooms merely based on that aspect of the place. new hotels in the area... restaurants... offices... one begets the other.

New hotels will probably come in when it is confimed that we got the All Star game.

I doubt a developer is going to build a hotel costing tens of millions based on one long weekends business.

A large hotel would be 350 rooms, that is what the Hilton is projected to be, 350 X $300 a night X 5 nights = $525,000. Take out expenses and they make a profit of maybe $100,000 to $200,000 for a huge event weekend. What do they do until the next Allstar game?

The NBA, Stern, talked about limiting the host cities for the Allstar game and rotating between just a few, cities like Las Vegas, Orlando, New Orleans. I don't think that will happen though because every city will want their turn. Especially whenever they build a new arena or do a major renovation.

The design we have now is basically an exact copy of Amway Arena with a front porch & balcony added on it. Square and uninspiring.

Sunshine, maybe you're being a little harsh? I don't think that it is the most eye popping design in the world, but its not the worst I've seen either. I like the glass curtain walls and the pledge to be the most eco friendly arena in the NBA. Isn't that in and of itself cutting edge?

I think sunshine wants a disney concert hall parked next to I-4, which would look ridiculous and completely out of place.

What orlando needs is a building that's functional, fits the environment, and stands out. Yea, the building could do a bit of a better job standing out, but it's certainly big enough to make a statement, and will integrate nicely into the parramore area.

I think one of the earlier renderings with a brick face would be nicer. We are all judging the building based on the outside. It may be spectacular once you are inside the building. The whole green thing is crap. That's PR and spin. There is no such thing as creating an air conditioned arena that is good for the invironment. The only way would be to make mammoth bleachers outdoors like the original MSG.

I do think that the brick rendering is better than the latest rendering. I am not asking for a disney concert hall...but maybe some edgy or cool design that if a non-sport fan comes to visit Orlando, he or she would said "I saw that picture of the arena online and I have got to go donw there to look at it and take a pic of it."

^^

honestly, I get that feeling from those shots of the arena. the balconies and glassworks evoke those sentiments... it's grand. the back of it- I'm ok with; it's big-city-ish in a way;

I just hope they renovate the garage on the north side of Church. it's going to look like arse adjacent to the new arena.

I think the next development should focus on filling an entire block with 4 story brick laden buildings to emulate one of our historic urban blocks; then pack it with retail and offices. fill some empty lots.

Can some construction guru give me a clue.? I've noticed since the ribbon cutting that alot of prefab rebar assemblies have been deliveredt to the events site, and almost every time I look at the webcam during working hours there are 4-6 cement trucks on site. But with all the use of steel and pouring going on, I see nothing shaping up. Where is it all going? Is it all going underground in the pile driver holes?

Can some construction guru give me a clue.? I've noticed since the ribbon cutting that alot of prefab rebar assemblies have been deliveredt to the events site, and almost every time I look at the webcam during working hours there are 4-6 cement trucks on site. But with all the use of steel and pouring going on, I see nothing shaping up. Where is it all going? Is it all going underground in the pile driver holes?

Its supposed to be built atop a small underground parking garage. Maybe it has something to do with that.