Amway Center

bic

maybe they're doing another Big Pour like at FH South and Paramount.

No, the cement trucks are coming and going (for over a week) but when there gone you can't see where anything has changed. It's got to be going down a hole. FH and Paramount were a giant 5' thick slab.

Maybe instead of pounding the piles into the ground, they're drilling a hole down to limestone and then pouring the pile.

--- just looked at the web cam. When you zoom in you can see the trucks pouring into a pump. Then there is a hose that goes up to where the "pile-driver" -like machines are. It is going down a hole.

Edited by cwetteland

No, the cement trucks are coming and going (for over a week) but when there gone you can't see where anything has changed. It's got to be going down a hole. FH and Paramount were a giant 5' thick slab.

Maybe instead of pounding the piles into the ground, they're drilling a hole down to limestone and then pouring the pile.

--- just looked at the web cam. When you zoom in you can see the trucks pouring into a pump. Then there is a hose that goes up to where the "pile-driver" -like machines are. It is going down a hole.

Yes, I'm sure you're right, they are pouring the piles in place. The placement of them are usually pretty exact...their surveyor would be able to locate them in a minute if they ever got covered up or anything.

I work with a guy that worked on the construction of IOA at Universal, he said you wouldn't believe how exact the placement for the concrete slabs and piles, et al had to be (he was speaking about the Hulk in particular). Down to a hundred of a foot.

• 2 weeks later...

if you google map the footprint of this thing compared to, say AA Arena in Miami, this thing is going to be massive. the grid it will sit on will be a similar size, but the arena itself will be noticeably larger. AA Arena's footprint isn't much larger than the current O-Rena.

DT is is pretty good shape when this and dpac open up. we just need an influx of development to follow these projects and maybe a few new companies to open up shop here too.

I do think that the brick rendering is better than the latest rendering. I am not asking for a disney concert hall...but maybe some edgy or cool design that if a non-sport fan comes to visit Orlando, he or she would said "I saw that picture of the arena online and I have got to go donw there to look at it and take a pic of it."

So much of this venue has been put inside. It will be the nicest arena in the NBA when all is said and done.

Just like with the PAC, building something crazy and abstract would be fun, but it would look so out of place in such a conservative area of town. I'm happy with the arena design and I've been in the virtual box tours which give you an idea of how the arena will look from inside.

There will be nothing disappointing with this facility.

So much of this venue has been put inside. It will be the nicest arena in the NBA when all is said and done.

Just like with the PAC, building something crazy and abstract would be fun, but it would look so out of place in such a conservative area of town. I'm happy with the arena design and I've been in the virtual box tours which give you an idea of how the arena will look from inside.

There will be nothing disappointing with this facility.

will it be better than philips arena??

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando Magic

480 Millions

Archictect: HOK Sport

Seats: 18000

Open: October 2010

34197285.jpg

Brooklyn Nets

950 Millions

Archictect: Frank Gehry

London-based Barclays Bank has agreed to pay the team $400 million over the next 20 years for the naming rights of their future Brooklyn home.

Open: 2011

Seats: 25000

photos_renderings_3.jpg

photos_renderings_4.jpg

photos_renderings_6.jpg

http://www.barclayscenter.com/venue/venue_5.shtml

Do I still have to keep knocking down poor Orlando event center design?

Completely alien is not amazing... Check out some more Eyesores of the Month for rediculous signature architecture on Kunstler's website. As if a Daniel Leibskind or Frank Ghery or even a Rem Koolhaas Event Center as a signature is what we need? If you think so, you probably like the brutalist OC Library on Central, built at the denouement of the style.

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200801.html

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200706.html

http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200611.html

But, I'll take a Calatrava designed event center anytime!

yea, i can't believe that's a friggin SPORTS stadium. That's almost a billion dollars, about double what we're paying, so it's not like we ever had a chance to compete to begin with. But yea, that is one amazing looking complex.

Without reading details, I suspect a lot of the money would be used to acquire the land and land price is primiere in NYC area. The complex include office and residential components. Plus, 400 millions naming right should cover majority fo the cost. It is a design that will draw tourists and definitely jump start any city.

Orlando's is half the cost but the design is not half as grand and bold. That's the diffrence between a big city trying to compete and a big city wannabe.

But either way, our event center will have the better team.

Gehry's stadium looks like a word that I shall not say. It rhymes with split. It looks like a stadium with post it notes all over it.

That's the point Jack. It's about fluidity. Movement. Not static lines.

If you want to learn about the development of modern architecture and how we got there check out Le Corbusier:

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

In 1918, Le Corbusier met the disillusioned Cubist painter, Am

^^

So, just b/c Gehry designs an events center for Brooklyn, which looks like the Disney PAC in LA, now, places like AA in Miami and the United Center in Chicago are c-rap? B/C our new center is on par with those centers and a host of others that look somewhat traditional but are still nice.

You can't compare NYC to Orlando. NYC is THE original US big city. Of course they are going to build things there that push the envelope. That's what they do and that's what they've always done.

Besides, this is part of that huge redevelopment of Brooklyn; there's alot of collaborations there for these projects to get done, otherwise, it wouldn't happen... this multifaceted project, a new Shea, a new Meadowlands, etc... it's NYC for Pete's sake.

However, it is iconic... and radical... in a European way.

Even though our stadium might be a bit on the bland side (especially if the rumors are true about the elliptical tower being nixed) but I'd much rather have a design like ours or AA Arena, AA Center, Staples Center, Conseco Fieldhouse, Phillips Arena, etc. than that crap that Gehry keeps putting out. I agree with Jaybee-- give me Calatrava!

Still looks like split. I admit that I am not expert on design. I either like a building, or I don't like it. I am all for something different but most so called great designs are not that great to me. But these buildings are art, I will give it that. Either you love it, or you hate it.

Edited by jack

Even though our stadium might be a bit on the bland side (especially if the rumors are true about the elliptical tower being nixed) but I'd much rather have a design like ours or AA Arena, AA Center, Staples Center, Conseco Fieldhouse, Phillips Arena, etc. than that crap that Gehry keeps putting out. I agree with Jaybee-- give me Calatrava!

Wow! Didn't realize there were so many Gehry haters on UP! I actually like Miss Brooklyn (The name of the tallest tower in that Atlantic Yards project) and the overall design itself. I don't like Gehry's early stuff when he was at USC and Gaudi is one lauded architect that makes me nauseous.

I think Sunshine just wants more exciting architecture in the city beautiful.

BTW: Thanks for the tip on the elliptical tower being nixed. Too bad it would have made for awesome headon views of church street.