Jacksonville and Sherwood Fighting Over Unincorporated Gravel Ridge

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sherwood, hands down, would be the better choice. The main artery that runs from Jacksonville to Gravel Ridge has a speed limit of 35 and is a speed trap...shady. Somehow Sherwood already incorporates a stretch of Highway 107 north of the back gate of the air base. You're driving along and out pops a sign that says "welcome to sherwood." Does anybody know how that happened?

• 3 months later...
Cozmosis - what's the history of the beginning of Sherwood? Was there some political haggling and/or disenchantment with the growth north that NLR didn't address and/or control? I remember that in the 1990 census, the Census Bureau declared Sherwood the fastest growing city in Arkansas, more than doubling in size to over 20,000 people. Seems a waste that this wasn't formally a part of NLR since it essentially was/is.

Cozmosis - what's the history of the beginning of Sherwood? Was there some political haggling and/or disenchantment with the growth north that NLR didn't address and/or control? I remember that in the 1990 census, the Census Bureau declared Sherwood the fastest growing city in Arkansas, more than doubling in size to over 20,000 people. Seems a waste that this wasn't formally a part of NLR since it essentially was/is.

I don't know much about the history of Sherwood (other than some of what Aporkalypse posted). However, I imagine that the distance between Sherwood and North Little Rock seemed much greater in 1948 than it does now. When Sherwood incorporated (with only 714 residents!)... Justin Matthews was still finishing up Park Hill and hadn't moved on to Lakewood yet. So, I seriously doubt that Sherwood's incorporation had anything to do with with something that North Little Rock did or didn't do.

Remember, it's hard to see the future sometimes... Little Rock once refused to annex Cammack Village because it was too far west.

I don't know much about the history of Sherwood (other than some of what Aporkalypse posted). However, I imagine that the distance between Sherwood and North Little Rock seemed much greater in 1948 than it does now. When Sherwood incorporated (with only 714 residents!)... Justin Matthews was still finishing up Park Hill and hadn't moved on to Lakewood yet. So, I seriously doubt that Sherwood's incorporation had anything to do with with something that North Little Rock did or didn't do.

Remember, it's hard to see the future sometimes... Little Rock once refused to annex Cammack Village because it was too far west.

I didn't realize it had that much history - I thought (assumed?) it had a relatively recent beginning, but obviously it was its own, remote "town" mid-century. So yes, you're right Cozmosis, it had little to nothing to do with NLR. Did NLR ever attempt to annex (like Little Rock did Pulaski Heights)?

Somebody here can correct me, but I've never heard any stories about NLR attempting to annex Sherwood. To be honest, you don't hear about cities wanting to annex other incorporated cities very often. Most of the fights are over unincorporated areas. Remember that Gravel Ridge is a census designated place, not an incorporated town, although they do seem to have a strong sense of community there.

Somebody here can correct me, but I've never heard any stories about NLR attempting to annex Sherwood. To be honest, you don't hear about cities wanting to annex other incorporated cities very often. Most of the fights are over unincorporated areas. Remember that Gravel Ridge is a census designated place, not an incorporated town, although they do seem to have a strong sense of community there.

• 2 weeks later...
I was really talking about annexing at any point in history, but as I mentioned in my question with the post, Little Rock annexed Pulaski Heights way back when - I believe it was incorporated at the time. If I'm not mistaken though, Pulaski Heights WANTED to be annexed - back in the day when being a part of the "city" was a good thing (infrastructure, services, etc. - and particularly transit (i.e. the electric streetcar system)).

I was really talking about annexing at any point in history, but as I mentioned in my question with the post, Little Rock annexed Pulaski Heights way back when - I believe it was incorporated at the time. If I'm not mistaken though, Pulaski Heights WANTED to be annexed - back in the day when being a part of the "city" was a good thing (infrastructure, services, etc. - and particularly transit (i.e. the electric streetcar system)).

Archived