Feasible or not?

fsubelch

As I sat in traffic at the I-10 Thomasville exit, I had a few ideas. I was just wondering how feasible it would be, though they are farfetched.

First off, could Tallahassee benefit from an inner city highway? Some sort of highway that goes through the city? I guess an example could be something like an I-110 where you could use I-10 as a bypass almost, having a secondary highway road cutting through the city. Not sure of the logistics of this, I was just thinking about this? I think it would be great to have a quick route to get around town, just unsure if for one, this would work, but more importantly where could something like this go? (again farfetched)

Next idea I had...seems like I am just full of useless ideas. Anyway, the second idea would be a second exit at mile marker 203 (Thomasville exit). An exit 203B, exiting east of the current 203 exit, placing you on Capital Circle. Would this cause more congestion or be a benefit?

Any other takers on bright ideas for some sort on inner city loop, or through city highway?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I sat in traffic at the I-10 Thomasville exit, I had a few ideas. I was just wondering how feasible it would be, though they are farfetched.

First off, could Tallahassee benefit from an inner city highway? Some sort of highway that goes through the city? I guess an example could be something like an I-110 where you could use I-10 as a bypass almost, having a secondary highway road cutting through the city. Not sure of the logistics of this, I was just thinking about this? I think it would be great to have a quick route to get around town, just unsure if for one, this would work, but more importantly where could something like this go? (again farfetched)

Next idea I had...seems like I am just full of useless ideas. Anyway, the second idea would be a second exit at mile marker 203 (Thomasville exit). An exit 203B, exiting east of the current 203 exit, placing you on Capital Circle. Would this cause more congestion or be a benefit?

Any other takers on bright ideas for some sort on inner city loop, or through city highway?

While your first idea is a good one, it would be way too cost prohibitive since the State doesn't really have the right of way and would have to purchase it at today's prices. Also if they stacked this freeway above Monroe or Mahan, elevated freeways are the most expensive to build. I doubt the State would spend that kind of money in Tally. Also can you even remotely imagine all the NIMBY's screams if you proposed an elevated freeway for Tally? There would be riots and bloodshed in the streets. :)

As for your second proposal, I actually think something like this is in the works. I believe the new construction will give CCNE limited access to I-10.

Here's what I found in this pdf file. It appears to me that you'll be able to access CCNE by an exit if you are westbound on I-10. This will be a shared exit w/T'ville Road. It also appears that you'll be able to access I-10 westbound from CCNE as this new ramp merges w/the ramp from T'ville before allowing you to access the interstate. I ASSume this proposal is still a go. I do know this portion of the I-10 improvements will be the last part to be finished.

But why do we need these new ramps especially during rush hour? I mean didn't the E.D, Harry Reed, of our CRTPA tell us that people don't use I-10 for commuting purposes and if they are, they shouldn't? Thus the reason why we don't need more exits in Leon County. :huh:

But why do we need these new ramps especially during rush hour? I mean didn't the E.D, Harry Reed, of our CRTPA tell us that people don't use I-10 for commuting purposes and if they are, they shouldn't? Thus the reason why we don't need more exits in Leon County. :huh:

My only question is, why not to Gainesville? Is it because you can get there quicker VIA I-10? I think a route to Gainesville would be more beneficial because of the exchange between the two cities and if heading that way Ocala is only a stones throw away without turning backwards. Although I see the benefit in going to Ocala via the 27 route with a continuation onto the Turnpike.

I also favor a turn pike extension, but I see a need for route North as my priority... therefore I support the red line as a most likely and preferred option. I'd actually like the red line more if I took it all the way to Tifton, which isn't marked on that map.

Now a question: Wouldn't it be great if we could get a port at Wakulla or St. Marks for shipping like we had long ago?

The problem with the red line is that you keep Tallahassee isolated from the rest of the state still. With the blue route, you've turned a 4 hour trip from Central Florida to Tallahassee into a 3 hour trip, making it more attractive and much more convenient. Gainesville wouldnt be the worst place for it to let off, but I agree that Ocala/Turnpike would be the best.

They need to extend the Suncoast Parkway up to eastern Tallahassee, and then upgrade U.S. 19 to connect it to I-10. I know the extension is in the works.....it'd sure beat driving up and down U.S. 19/27/98 from Tampa, since it's a speed trap riddled with little hick towns.

I will say this..........Florida needs to take a lead from Mississippi. Most of their U.S. routes are 4 laned and do not even go into the central part of the town....they're more like expressways. Granted, Missisppi has the craptiest roads I've ever seen in my life (poor maintenance), but it was nice to drive on U.S. 45 from Meridian to the Alabama state line without hitting a single small town or traffic light. If U.S. 19/27/98 was like that, it would not be as bad!

They need to extend the Suncoast Parkway up to eastern Tallahassee, and then upgrade U.S. 19 to connect it to I-10. I know the extension is in the works.....it'd sure beat driving up and down U.S. 19/27/98 from Tampa, since it's a speed trap riddled with little hick towns.

I will say this..........Florida needs to take a lead from Mississippi. Most of their U.S. routes are 4 laned and do not even go into the central part of the town....they're more like expressways. Granted, Missisppi has the craptiest roads I've ever seen in my life (poor maintenance), but it was nice to drive on U.S. 45 from Meridian to the Alabama state line without hitting a single small town or traffic light. If U.S. 19/27/98 was like that, it would not be as bad!

Archived