Books on Grand Rapids Developement over the years

aowwt

Well I went to Barnes and Noble was not impressed with the collection of books they had on GR. I found maybe 3 books that dealt with GR in the fashion I was looking for but only glanced right over it. What I was looking for was what GR looked like BEFORE the 131 and 196 projects were built. I was looking more for pictures and some text as to whats going on in those pictures. I know I could go downtown and to the library to get all I want but I was looking more for something I could buy that also has history of the rest of GR as well. I think the change GR has taken over the course of over 60 years is just simple amazing. Me being a youngster, 26, I would like to know more about the city my great great grandparents came to plus I lived in GR for all of my life so just having a book I own would be nice. Any suggestions would be awesome :yahoo:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I went to Barnes and Noble was not impressed with the collection of books they had on GR. I found maybe 3 books that dealt with GR in the fashion I was looking for but only glanced right over it. What I was looking for was what GR looked like BEFORE the 131 and 196 projects were built. I was looking more for pictures and some text as to whats going on in those pictures. I know I could go downtown and to the library to get all I want but I was looking more for something I could buy that also has history of the rest of GR as well. I think the change GR has taken over the course of over 60 years is just simple amazing. Me being a youngster, 26, I would like to know more about the city my great great grandparents came to plus I lived in GR for all of my life so just having a book I own would be nice. Any suggestions would be awesome :yahoo:

I Agree that "Grand Rapids in Vintage Postcards 1890-1940" by Dilley is great.

A bit more specific in topic, but a must for anyone interested in Grand Rapids' history is Tom Logan's "Almost Lost: Building and Preserving Heritage Hill." This resource talks about the events leading up to and the struggle to keep a vital part of the city. It discusses social and economic concerns, architecture, and urban pattern issues.

Almost Lost makes a great Christmas gift as well! It can be found at many bookstores and the Heritage Hill office on College SE. More info at: http://www.heritagehillweb.org/almost_lost.htm

Two more books that you might want to try to find:

Olson, Gordon L. (1992). A Grand Rapids sampler. Grand Rapids, MI: Grand Rapids Historical Commission.

Logan, Thomas H. (2004). Almost lost: Building and preserving Heritage Hill Grand Rapids, Michigan. Traverse City, MI: Arbutus Press.

If nothing else, they both have very interesting reference lists at the back. The local history department at the downtown public library should have most of what's listed in the reference lists. I know you'd rather buy than borrow, but if you go to the library and look at what's available, you can then try Argos Book Shop (or any of the other good used book shops) to find the out-of-print ones.

2. In addition to the suggestions made so far on this site, I would suggest that you look online for books about GR through Amazon.com, google.com, ebay, half.com, adall.com or is it addall.com, I always forget, or bookfinder.com. You will find that many of these titles are available locally but not through retail outlets. There are many book sellers in our area who sell exclusively online. Some of us pick up fantastic local books at garage sales and estate sales and then post them for sale online.

You could also check with Redeux which is located right next to Argos in Eastown. All The King's Books which was located on Wealthy Street is still selling online and you could check with them too.

Lastly, have you looked on the GR Library's website? They have many photographs of the city online which is really fun to peruse.

Below is a listing of titles I was able to find on Amazon.com. I personally really like the one about GR Neighborhoods. Just to clarify, these are not my listings. I may or may not have some of these books but selling them is not the purpose of my post.

Grand Adventure: The Heritage of Grand Rapids, Michigan by Larry B. Massie (Hardcover - Jan 2001)Fire Service of Grand Rapids - A History of the Grand Rapids Michigan Fire Department - Reprint of 1889 Edition by Carrie Jennings (Paperback - 1971)

Gathered at the River: Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Its People of Faith by James D. Bratt and Christopher H. Meehan (Hardcover - Oct 1993)The Armenians and their colony in Grand Rapids and western Michigan, (Publications of the Historical Society of Grand Rapids) by Nushan H Kassabian (Unknown Binding - 1912) History and directory of Kent County, Michigan, containing a history of each township, and the city of Grand Rapids; the name, location and postoffice ... in the county; a schedule of popula by Michigan Historical Reprint Series (Paperback - Dec 20, 2005) Thin Ice: Coming of Age in Grand Rapids by Reinder Van Til and Gordon Olson (Paperback - April 26, 2007) Grand Rapids In Stereographs:1860-1900 (MI) (Images of America) by Thomas R. Dilley and John H. Logie (Paperback - Jul 30, 2007) Heart & Soul: The Story of Grand Rapids Neighborhoods by Linda Samuelson and Andrew Schrier (Hardcover - Nov 2003) African Americans in the Furniture City: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Grand Rapids by Randal Maurice Jelks (Paperback - April 3, 2006) The fur traders of the Grand River Valley (Publications of the Historical Society of Grand Rapids) by Rebecca Richmond (Unknown Binding - 1907)In Celebration of Grand Rapids by Ellen Arlinsky and Marg Ed Kwapil

Archived