New development in Brentwood?

111wall

I understand from a Brentwood business owner that a new upscale retail/office/condo development is planned for Franklin Road on the site of the current Tennessee Baptist Convention and Murray Mfg Co. headquarters buidlings.

This would involve demolition of both corporate structures and building off retail, office and condos. This is prime Brentwood property, fronting on Franklin Rd. and adjacent to Maryland Farms and the Fresh Market shopping center.

This is the first I have heard of this, but perhaps I have just missed out on such a large development in Brentwood. Any other info?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard anything about that on this board. You bring to mind something I've wondered about for some time: Why doesn't this board have a Williamson County section? I just saw that there are some $800 million in construction in Franklin alone, not to mention the whole county. I'd guess that's even more than in M'boro, and it has a section.

In case some people say that Wilco is not urban, I think part of the mission here is to identify areas that could benefit from discussion on ways to become more urban in its development. Also, of course, I'm interested to see how that area might or might not be repeating certain mistakes in suburbs with which I'm quite familiar (e.g. Roswell, Sandy Springs, Gwinnett, etc.).

Oh, and I happen to think that Franklin's downtown has a lot of great examples of urban design. I must say that I'm speaking of how it was 15 years ago.

^There is nothing from stopping us from having a Franklin sub-forum if we have enough members interested in creating, viewing, and posting threads. The main Nashville forum is open to all topics for Middle Tennessee (outside Murfressboro which has its own sub), so if folks want to post Franklin topics in here it would be great (and encouraged by me) and could help lead to the creation of its own sub-forum. That goes for Clarksville, Lebanon, Dickson, etc, etc. as well. If enough threads are created, viewed, and posted in on a regular basis we will create new sub-forums for the region as needed.

As to why Nashville is open to all Middle Tennessee threads- we originally split the Tennessee forum into the the Grand Divisions, but for UP to get better returns via search engines for the state's primary cities we changed "Middle TN" to "Nashville" and "West TN" to "Memphis". East Tennessee remained as is due to its having more than one primary city.

Hey ATLbrian where are you from in atlanta? I just moved to Nashville in May from Atlanta. I lived on roswell road in the sandy springs/buckhead area then moved to norcross (close to holcomb bridge road) and the gwinett county area. Now of course i'm here. As far as I can tell, franklin and brentwood closely resemble the roswell and gwinett county areas (just not quite as dense yet). The cool springs area of franklin is dangerously close to being a roswell. While M'boro closely resembles L'ville. The green hills area is pretty much a dunwoody/perimeter mall of nashville. Seriously. The resemblence is uncanny (minus the king and queen towers and add a few neighborhoods close by). Basically all this is to say that each day nashville is starting to resemble atlanta a little bit more. Good and bad. How is atlanta looking now a days? I havnt been keeping up as much as I should.

Hey, Maestro, nice to have another dual-interest (ATL and NSH) poster here. I went to college in Nashville, and have seen that town change a lot too. I used to travel frequently to NSH, but now business keeps me pretty much here. It's been over six months for me. I have a particular fondness for what I think NSH could become if (IF IF IF) it continues to be guided by good leadership. This board pretty much is the one continuous thing that keeps me abreast of what's going on in NSH).

I do love my hometown (I grew up in Brookhaven), but sometimes I get wistful for the way it was twenty years ago when we were much smaller, but no-doubt a regional hub. I'm thirty-seven now, and it was absolutely great growing up in Atlanta during the 70s and 80s. Of course, anyone with a pulse would have to be excited by the things going on now. ATL keeps getting closer and closer to that coveted "world class" designation. Not there yet!

Don't know how long it's been since you were here, but suffice to say that "infill" is the word of the moment. I live on Springdale near The By Way east in a modest (by comparison) home that my wife and I bought six years ago. My commute takes me straight down North to Piedmont into downtown. When shopping (which I personally try to avoid), I usually go out to Northlake ('cause I'm a Sears guy) but when I'm with my wife or have business in Lenox, I get the eyeful of Buckhead. However, I don't see the changes on a daily basis there. Always building up there, but most notably is the mega-huge Sovereign that really takes me aback every time I drive up P'tree and get the canyon effect (really strange feeling for a guy who remembers when there were car dealerships there).

Still no discernible activity in what's supposed to be City Place and B'head Village... damn, it's sad to see my old playground looking so forlorn. Anyway, speaking of the erstwhile night activity of B'head, the incentives to move southward have been very effective. You're probably familiar with all the new condo towers south of 14th.

Atlantic is now going up, and last time in A-S it really resembled a true commercial center. I'm quite proud of that project. Not as much of a fan of Allen Plaza tho (but it is good for DT). Gratuitous plug: I have high praise for Bicentennial Park. It was an unsightly collection of low rise and surface lots before the O's.

Interesting takes on the suburban areas of ATL and NSH. I'd agree with many of them, but I still get a sense of Marietta whenever I happen to get into M'boro. Also, the commercial development around both strikes me as similar (Dobbins and NAS cut a wide swath on Cobb Pkwy similar to spots near old Smyrna Airfield appear outside of M'boro). Also would agree with the Roswell/Franklin similarities, although Franklin has more charm downtown. Don't care a bit for Gwinnett... but I've gotta be nice. My boss lives in Sugarloaf.

If you want anything specific, I'll try to post a pic. I say "try" b/c I've only done it once on this board, and I had to get Lexy to help me.

What you're referring to I've never heard of before, and would be an interesting possibility, but Town Center is between I-65 and Franklin Road in the low area near the tracks....unless I'm mistaken. I'm glad that Brentwood is trying to build up a 'downtown' per se so that they it has a center and there isn't such an outward flight at 5:00.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was in Nashville visiting family and friends for the 4th weekend. It looks like the Brentwood towncenter-thingy is underway. I wish I had a camera with me. I would have snapped a few shots. :(:camera: Any takers on getting some shots of the construction??

Archived