Your favorite movies of all-time?

cheshireguy

I don't know if this has been a topic yet or not, but ...

...I am a huge fan of movies, old and new. I would like to know which movies are the UP's favs or your MOST HATED (I have a few of those, too).

Here's mine:

Best - - - - - -

5. Road Warrior

4. Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead

3. Cool Hand Luke

2. Fargo

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

And Worst...

5. Independence Day

4. Armegeddon

3. Mr. Brooks

2. Blair Witch Project

1. Waterworld

I would love to see everyone else's picks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the movies thatI have seen these are my best

Back to the Future

Red Dawn

Tommy Boy

Saving Private Ryan

The Green Mile

Toy Story

Shawshank Redemption

Stand By Me

Gladiator

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Worst:

Joe Dirt

Matrix

Waterworld

Lara Croft Tomb Raider

Glitter

Gigli

Cool as Ice

Howard the Duck

Ernest Goes to Camp

Anaconda

Some of my favorites:

Goodfellas

Gladiator

Braveheart

Saving Private Ryan

Mystery Science Theater (pick one, I love them all!)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Most hated:

Anaconda

Starship Troopers

The Replacements

The Cell

Scary Movie

Borat

Let me think...

- Goldfinger

- Shawshank Redemption

- Cool Hand Luke

- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ( the one with Newman and Liz Taylor)...the dialogue in this movie was amazing.

- Taxi Driver

- Apocalypse Now

- The Sheltering Sky

- The Godfather

- The Shining

- Raiders of the Lost Ark

Most bizzare and twisted movie I have seen:

- A Clockwork Orange

Great topic :)

English-language:

Goodfellas

Godfather 1-2

Annie Hall

Short Cuts

Five Easy Pieces

Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind

The Conversation

Notorious

The Big Heat

The Apartment

Not in English:

Breathless

Wild Strawberries

Throne Of Blood

Kwaidan

Ugetsu

Sword Of Doom

A Touch Of Zen

after life (wandafuru raifu)

Apu trilogy

Floating Weeds

I'm not in GR, but I had to sneak into this thread anyway - I'm a movie fanatic. I had to sneak in some foreign films, for anyone not allergic to subtitles: Breathless, because it still influences so very many other movies. Throne Of Blood is one of the more gripping and inventive Shakespeare adaptations - shifting the story from feudal England to feudal Japan. Kwaidan is ghost stories - no modern horror tricks or gore, but instead going for spooky storytelling, which is filmed in a very visually extravagant way; very atmospheric and creepy, but also hypnotic and gorgeous to watch. The Apu trilogy is from India, a very cool drama series; Matt Groening named the Simpsons character Apu as an homage, though there is little resemblance between the characters. A Touch Of Zen is a very gorgeous, philosophically inclined historical/martial arts epic from Taiwan which supposedly lent one scene to Star Wars, and was more recently the major inspiration behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which was an homage deliberately shot in the same style.

Great topic :)

English-language:

Goodfellas

Godfather 1-2

Annie Hall

Short Cuts

Five Easy Pieces

Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind

The Conversation

Notorious

The Big Heat

The Apartment

Not in English:

Breathless

Wild Strawberries

Throne Of Blood

Kwaidan

Ugetsu

Sword Of Doom

A Touch Of Zen

after life (wandafuru raifu)

Apu trilogy

Floating Weeds

I'm not in GR, but I had to sneak into this thread anyway - I'm a movie fanatic. I had to sneak in some foreign films, for anyone not allergic to subtitles: Breathless, because it still influences so very many other movies. Throne Of Blood is one of the more gripping and inventive Shakespeare adaptations - shifting the story from feudal England to feudal Japan. Kwaidan is ghost stories - no modern horror tricks or gore, but instead going for spooky storytelling, which is filmed in a very visually extravagant way; very atmospheric and creepy, but also hypnotic and gorgeous to watch. The Apu trilogy is from India, a very cool drama series; Matt Groening named the Simpsons character Apu as an homage, though there is little resemblance between the characters. A Touch Of Zen is a very gorgeous, philosophically inclined historical/martial arts epic from Taiwan which supposedly lent one scene to Star Wars, and was more recently the major inspiration behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which was an homage deliberately shot in the same style.

Wow. Thanks for the movie list. I love movies with subtitles and then sometimes I don't. I should know about A Touch of Zen since I'm Taiwanese; I'm sure my parents know of it but thanks for the suggestion. I've seen one too many odd Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese films when I lived in Taiwan to really try and watch anymore. I saw this film where the ninja wore a mask like Garfield. I'm not sure what that was all about.

I'm going through the American Film Institute's top 100 list.

In no particular order, my top ten favorites in English are......

The Apartment

Casablanca

Lilies of the Field

Shop Around the Corner

Shawshank Redemption

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

White Christmas

Love Actually

Finding Nemo

Hotel Rwanda

There are a few action movies I have to watch over and over again but right now they're just not coming to me.

Mine, in mo particular order:

1. The Godfather - classic storytelling and direction at its best.

2. The Bourne Ultimatum - a good example of a modern action/thriller that doesn't get watered down like the Bond series did.

3. Sweeney Todd - I saw a sneak peek screening of this film (which comes out this Friday) and I'd say Tim Burton does it justice. It's the best musical adaption from stage to screen that I have ever seen (sorry Andrew Lloyd Webber, but Evita and Phantom just don't cut it)

4. Pi - a phenomenal mathematical thriller by Darren Aronofsky that keeps geeks like me entertained with all of its little nuggests and easter eggs.

5. Requiem for a Dream - a real horror movie, also by Aronofsky, that will burrow into your mind and make you throw up. True art filmmaking at its best.

• Pi - a phenomenal mathematical thriller by Darren Aronofsky that keeps geeks like me entertained with all of its little nuggests and easter eggs.

• Requiem for a Dream - a real horror movie, also by Aronofsky, that will burrow into your mind and make you throw up. True art filmmaking at its best.

Archived