Your favorite movies of all-time?

cheshireguy

Good off-topic topic, Cheshire. I've been hitting Turner Classic Movies pretty hard lately.

Here's a related question: what are the best movies of all time in which an URBAN location is essential to the movie's plot, mood or style?

Here's my top 5:

1. Chinatown (Roman Polanski's take on Los Angeles in the 1930s)

2. Manhattan (Woody Allen's take on NYC in the 1970s, though shot in B&W)

3. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorcese's take on NYC in the 1970s, shot in color)

4. Stranger than Paradise (Jim Jaramusch's take on Cleveland in the 1980s, also shot in B&W)

5. Hard Core (Paul Schrader's take on Grand Rapids/LA's San Fernando Valley in the 1970s, cast and partially shot in GR under the working title 'The Pilgrim')

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here goes:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

American History X

Blow

Pulp Fiction

Belly

Goodfellas

Clockwork Orange

Borat

Road to Perdition

The Godfather

Scarface

Half Baked

The Wall

Apocalypse Now

Sixth Sense

Fight Club

Easy Rider

Friday

Sin City

Donnie Darko

Big Lebowski

Trainspotting

And many more I can't think of right now

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't seen 'City of God', you should. It is IMO an excellent movie. It's shot like a documentary, but is fictional and follows a teanager in the streets of Rio. A little graphic at times, and in Portugese with subtitles, but definitely worth a rental.

As a fan of dry comedy, I'd have to say

1) Kung Pow-Enter the Fist as the all time fav

2) Grandma's boy

3) Superbad seemed pretty funny, seeins that I'm a college student

There is a cool movie website for movie lovers called Spout. I remember reading something about it a couple months (maybe even years) ago that said it was owned locally by someone in the Devos family.

Just somethin to check out ;)

As a fan of dry comedy, I'd have to say

1) Kung Pow-Enter the Fist as the all time fav

2) Grandma's boy

3) Superbad seemed pretty funny, seeins that I'm a college student

There is a cool movie website for movie lovers called Spout. I remember reading something about it a couple months (maybe even years) ago that said it was owned locally by someone in the Devos family.

Just somethin to check out ;)

I am pretty sure one of the "founders", and likely financial backer ;) , is Rick DeVos. He is the son of Dick DeVos, and I think he started the company with some friends a few years ago. One could spend a lot of time in front of the movie screen trying to keep up with the movie posts on that site.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived