Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fotoman311

Dear Santa, Please stop urban sprawl

Should Santa end urban sprawl?   33 members have voted

1. 1. Should Santa end urban sprawl?

• Yes, urban sprawl makes for sad, overweight girls and boys who can't easily ride or walk to school.
    • No, kids love minivans and SUVs.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

I've been holding onto these awhile, meaning to scan them in and post them. In the Thanksgiving ad paper...errr newspaper, they print letters to santa from local elementary students. You can tell there's a teacher at the C.A. Frost Environmental Academy who is stressing the evils of urban sprawl to his/her students. :)

dear_santa_urban_sprawl1.jpg

dear_santa_urban_sprawl2.jpg

This topic got me thinking about how town homes and single family homes compare. A single family home is appealing because of space, multiple bedrooms, and yards all of which are great for raising a family. But the down side of the single family home is that they take up more space than any other type of residential accommodations. But then there is the town houses, a block of homes each sharing 1 or 2 common walls. In most cases each town home has a small front yard and most importantly a back yard for the kids to play in. Town homes can be just as spacious as single family homes. They have multiple bedrooms. They have most of the virtues a single family home. The only difference is sharing one or two common walls with neighbors. More importantly town homes take up less space than an equivalent number of single family homes of the same sq. footage.

On that note, to make urban areas more attractive to families a city should adjust zoning to attract more town homes.

I have always said that there are plenty of nice houses, or houses that could be nice in grand rapids neighborhoods. It just takes a little elbow grease, but they have space and yards and character.

I have always said that there are plenty of nice houses, or houses that could be nice in grand rapids neighborhoods. It just takes a little elbow grease, but they have space and yards and character.