Textile Mill history

gs3

I was down in Mauldin yesterday and ran in Skins Hotdogs for a quick bite. I don't do hotdogs often and not sure I've ever been in a Skins. Anyway, along one wall, they had a row of black and white photos of all the old area mills. Probably 15 or so. That made me think of the rich textile history Greenville has and all the opportunity for mill village redevelopments.

Does Greenville have any kind of official "Mill History Tours"? Seems this is such a rich part of our history, it should be something that could be added as a tourist draw. Some sort of organized mill tour? Residential and retail redevelopment of the villages (I know several mills have become lofts)? Seems like much potential in this area. Thoughts? Ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was down in Mauldin yesterday and ran in Skins Hotdogs for a quick bite. I don't do hotdogs often and not sure I've ever been in a Skins. Anyway, along one wall, they had a row of black and white photos of all the old area mills. Probably 15 or so. That made me think of the rich textile history Greenville has and all the opportunity for mill village redevelopments.

Does Greenville have any kind of official "Mill History Tours"? Seems this is such a rich part of our history, it should be something that could be added as a tourist draw. Some sort of organized mill tour? Residential and retail redevelopment of the villages (I know several mills have become lofts)? Seems like much potential in this area. Thoughts? Ideas?

I really like your idea, gsupstate. I lived in Greenville for awhile and plan to return. I always hear about the mills and the districts, but I never took the time to find out where they were and what it was all about. It would be great for newcommers and those looking to relocate to the area to be able to be show all this in person, without the hassles of having to navigate themselves. As much as I loved exploring Greenville, it was a real headache at times.

So there is no mill history museum in Greenville? I know it would probably be a smaller museum, but it would be a unique thing to offer visitors. Besides, as important as mills were to Greenville's formative years it only makes sense we have a museum. Perhaps some people or local groups are planning on eventually trying to raise the money for one.

Thanks Cap'n Prowler.

I've lived here several years and like you, have only seen a few mills (mainly the ones converted to lofts). Don't know where most of them are located....I hear locals mention names like Dunean and have no idea where it is. It seems like it would be so great to pull this together into some sort of attraction.

The History Museum does have some parts that pertain to mill history, but I like your idea Greenville, of an entire museum dedicated just to mills.

So there is no mill history museum in Greenville? I know it would probably be a smaller museum, but it would be a unique thing to offer visitors. Besides, as important as mills were to Greenville's formative years it only makes sense we have a museum. Perhaps some people or local groups are planning on eventually trying to raise the money for one.

I like that idea, too. I think it would be best to have it in a high traffic area. If it were built in a mill community away from the action, nobody would know about it and it would likely have very few visitors. People aren't going to go out of their way to see a mill history museum, but if they happen upon it while walking or can see it mentioned in a downtown visitors' guide they might stop in to check it out. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I like that idea, too. I think it would be best to have it in a high traffic area. If it were built in a mill community away from the action, nobody would know about it and it would likely have very few visitors. People aren't going to go out of their way to see a mill history museum, but if they happen upon it while walking or can see it mentioned in a downtown visitors' guide they might stop in to check it out. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Thanks Cap'n Prowler.

I've lived here several years and like you, have only seen a few mills (mainly the ones converted to lofts). Don't know where most of them are located....I hear locals mention names like Dunean and have no idea where it is. It seems like it would be so great to pull this together into some sort of attraction.

The History Museum does have some parts that pertain to mill history, but I like your idea Greenville, of an entire museum dedicated just to mills.

If you haven't seen it yet, Ray Belcher published a book in 2006 with History Press called Greenville County, SC: From Cotton Fields to Textile Center of the World. It's a great resource to get the sweeping development of mills in this area. Lots of old photos in it.

Archived