Split Simpsonville - Rename one half 'Plain'

Bruce_Daddy

This is an idea I've been kicking around, wondered if you guys think I'm crazy. Simpsonville is too "wide". It doesn't make any sense to have the 5 Forks area in the same city as the Target shopping center down Fairview road. I think that 29680 would remain Simpsonville, and 29681 be renamed "Plain", the one time name for Simpsonville. http://www.simpsonvillesc.com/Visiting/history.htm

I understand there are infrastructure problems, a separate city government would have to be set up. What else, the existing fire and police would have to be re-aligned? Would it be more trouble than it's worth?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an idea I've been kicking around, wondered if you guys think I'm crazy. Simpsonville is too "wide". It doesn't make any sense to have the 5 Forks area in the same city as the Target shopping center down Fairview road. I think that 29680 would remain Simpsonville, and 29681 be renamed "Plain", the one time name for Simpsonville. http://www.simpsonvillesc.com/Visiting/history.htm

I understand there are infrastructure problems, a separate city government would have to be set up. What else, the existing fire and police would have to be re-aligned? Would it be more trouble than it's worth?

I am not an advocate for creating more government when it is not necessary- and it usually isn't. Splitting up Simpsonville would probably create more problems than its worth. If anything we should be setting it up so Simpsonville can annex more land as growth in Five Forks continues to explode.

You know what gets and confuses me however is the whole Woodruff Road situation. I hear people and/or businesses off Woodruff Road say they are either in Greenville, Mauldin, Simpsonville or Fountain Inn and sometimes Greer.

I know by mailing address or phone numbers that these areas may "technically" be a part of the above named towns but Woodruff Road seems so far removed from those towns in a cultural sense that it seems like a totally different world with the places mentioned being built around the older highway systems. The golden strip towns along 417/418. I could see the Woodruff Road area being it's own place. Too bad it has the Woodruff in the name already. Nothing against the town of Woodruff but it's ironic Woodruff is such a small town far removed from the boom that is Woodruff Road yet it carries the name.

Just the other day someone told me they lived in "Mauldin" but in reality they lived close to the corner of Woodruff and Butler. I'm sorry but that is a world away from what I know as "Mauldin". The same thing saying "Five Forks" is in Simpsonville. I'm sorry but claiming these "Mail route" addresses doesn't cut it for me just like the "Taylors" situation.

Culturally, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but it is physically closer to the city limits of Mauldin. The whole notion of zip codes complicates the idea of municipal boundaries. Hence the whole premise of the initial post... should Five Forks be split from the city of Simpsonville to form it's own city government? The point is somewhat moot as Five Forks is about 2.5 miles from the city limits of Simpsonville... and 2 miles from the City of Mauldin... 3 miles from the City of Greer... 4 miles from the City of Greenville.

I live in the area... we travel to Simpsonville and Greenville more than Mauldin.

Zip Codes aside, Five Forks is a known geographic area, even though it may not have precise boundaries. Even if its annexed, the area will still be known as Five Forks. I've always thought of it as being closer to Simpsonville, but I suppose in reality its in the same vicinity from downtown as Mauldin or Taylors (if you draw a circle around Downtown Gville) albeit less direct.

Archived