Downtown retail thread

smeagolsfree

Maybe you should just switch your style up and shop at Sam's. :) I'm the Turquoise Bowler beeyotch!!!

Sorry, that was inappropriate on so many levels. Anyone know how that bookstore/game store is/was doing which opened up close by on 5th ave.?

Actually, BR86 bought a pair of athletic shoes (with some turquoise highlights) at Sam's. Honest.

Not sure how Sherlock's is doing. There on-line biz smokes so they should be fine.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESU has it right. They were white with some purple and turquoise/teal highlights! The strings were also turquoise/teal and they were a bada** pair of shoes right from Sam's and they were Nike's I believe. I also had some white Da Da's that a friend from work gave me new in box because he had been in the shoe business.

Yes, I had some hip and urban soles on the old doorman's tired feet. Hey Yo' I be stylin'. Don't say I can't represent now....come on! Get real! Peace out y'all!

BR86

A couple of years ago there was news of a Sullivan's Steak House going into that location. Obviously the economic conditions put an end to that plan.

Yeah, I think it was mainly the economy that killed the steakhouse. The old Seanachie Building sits on a key downtown site. So landing a tenant would be helpful.

I remember Sullivan's Steakhouse now but we have too many "red meat" locales in downtown. You can get a steak just about anywhere with The Palm, Morton's, The Stockyard, The Capitol Grille, Merchants etc...all we need is another steakhouse.

BR86

Agreed. It would be cool to get a cheap Thai joint.

WW

A drug store for Seanachie site?

The Nashville Post says that CVS pharmacy (unconfirmed) may be interested in the Seanachie building/property. It speculates that there is a possibility that the building could be demolished; however given the zoning restrictions I would think it would be cheaper to renovate the existing structure rather than tear down and rebuild.

Michael Hayes says "...a CVS addition could prove interesting. However, he added, This type of business has not been envisioned as part of the entertainment district.” I've gone on record as saying that districts, if planned from the top down, are a bad idea and have proven to deaden activity rather than stimulate activity. And clearly I know more than he does. (joking obviously)

I think if the current structure is maintained or if it's to be torn down and what's rebuilt is appropriate or better (hah), then this is a great thing for downtown, exactly the kind of business that's needed to sustain a neighborhood. Not everything on Broadway has to be exclusively for tourists or revelry.

I would not be happy with a CVS either. Nashville has dozens of pharmacies near downtown, especially in the medical district. We all remember what Walgreens did to the Jacksonian rather than using the existing building. I would guess CVS would try to tear this historic building down too and that would be a travesty.

BR86

I would not be happy with a CVS either. Nashville has dozens of pharmacies near downtown, especially in the medical district. We all remember what Walgreens did to the Jacksonian rather than using the existing building. I would guess CVS would try to tear this historic building down too and that would be a travesty.

BR86

Near downtown yeah, but within walking distance? This would be the first retail that residents of the Encore have within a couple block radius--a place to buy last second household necessities, snacks, Halloween candy, a 6-pack, etc. And it wouldn't be possible, given the form-based code and the Broadway historic district, to build a suburban style building like the Walgreens on West End. I think we'll see the CVS group do the expedient thing and use the existing building rather than fight the inevitable battle over demolishing an historical building on Broadway.

Near downtown yeah, but within walking distance? This would be the first retail that residents of the Encore have within a couple block radius--a place to buy last second household necessities, snacks, Halloween candy, a 6-pack, etc. And it wouldn't be possible, given the form-based code and the Broadway historic district, to build a suburban style building like the Walgreens on West End. I think we'll see the CVS group do the expedient thing and use the existing building rather than fight the inevitable battle over demolishing an historical building on Broadway.

Nashvillian,

I would hope CVS would do just that. However, its preferred developer is buying an historic church in Midtown Memphis (on the SW corner of Union and McLean; saw it earlier this week) and demolishing it to build what we know will be an ugly building to house a CVS. But you make a good point. Lower Broad has lots of design guidelines in place to protect the existing Seanachie building. And, you are correct: downtown SoBro residents could use a "sundries shop."

WW

There is a Walgreens at 5th and Church. In most cities that is considered walking distance. As an urban dweller I to have to learn that it is ok to actually walk from my perch at 3rd and Demonbreun to the gulch or Church street. We now have a wine shop at 4th and Church, 2 new restaurants on Church. We have to put our cars away and actually walk a bit for a variety of reasons. Having said all of that not sure I am in favor of a CVS in that particular location.

There is a Walgreens at 5th and Church. In most cities that is considered walking distance. As an urban dweller I to have to learn that it is ok to actually walk from my perch at 3rd and Demonbreun to the gulch or Church street. We now have a wine shop at 4th and Church, 2 new restaurants on Church. We have to put our cars away and actually walk a bit for a variety of reasons. Having said all of that not sure I am in favor of a CVS in that particular location.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with walking from the Encore up to 5th ave. and Church st. or the Gulch. The great thing about living there is that's totally an option. But there's nothing wrong with having a pharmacy/convenience store a little closer either. Or more than one pharmacy/convenience store downtown. Competition is good or something.

What would be your objection to a CVS at that location? Just curious.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with walking from the Encore up to 5th ave. and Church st. or the Gulch. The great thing about living there is that's totally an option. But there's nothing wrong with having a pharmacy/convenience store a little closer either. Or more than one pharmacy/convenience store downtown. Competition is good or something.

What would be your objection to a CVS at that location? Just curious.

Personally I would rather see something that is more in tune with the street. Food establishment, etc. There are so many great spots for a CVS including retail space in condos, office buildings and the MCC. Talk about real convenience!

At the current 3 million dollar price tag for the building, I don't think Cotton Eyed Joe has the funding!

Indeed.

So what's your take on the site and what it might next be home to, P2? Do you think if the developer for CVS were to acquire the building, it would attempt to get a demolition permit?

WW

We need a shopping area like Tampa's Channel District or Baltimore's Harborplace. The closes thing we have is maybe West End. Something like that right downtown would be nice. Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, etc. Maybe, who was it, Crossland who bought all the land, will build something like that.

Puckett's is having their grand opening this weekend!

Technically they were open today.. but today was a training day, where visitors can get half off.. i'm not sure if it's like this all week or not.. but I believe this info is available on their facebook (which I can't get to at the moment... at work).

Archived