Downtown retail thread

smeagolsfree

I believe the Red Grooms designed carousel was donated to the state museum when it was moved to make way for the train station at riverfront. Sadly, the museum has no place to set up the carousel, so it sits boxed up in storage. When/if the museum is finally able to move to new digs at a future building along the Bicentennial Mall, we should see the carousel back up and running! (NOT likely to happen anytime soon!)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article from the Tennessean about the growth of retail downtown. I am not at all sure where they get their information. One week they say a Target could be in the plans for teh North Gulch and this week they say it is off the table. I think the Tennessean sources are lacking after seeing crappy reporting over the last several years.

Sort of like a politician, talking out of both ends.

The Post and the NBJ have much better business reporters for sure and seem to be a lot better at knowing what is going on.

Anyway, here is the article that will only be good for about a week or so.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120115/BUSINESS01/301120083/Downtown-Nashville-waits-retailers-move-in?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

So, a new shop coming to town.

As reported by WW (subscription only).......

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/1/19/second_avenue_lands_hipster_hat_retailer

I actually figured this out a few days ago and passed it to a friend at the city paper, but wanted William to break it.

So, Goorin Brothers hat shop is opening a location somewhere near 2nd and Broadway. I am personally very excited about this. I moved to San Francisco in 2010 and found "hat paradise". I love their product and have visited several of their locations in the area. It's nice to find a hat store with traditionally styled hats, not just the flat-brim baseball hats that are so popular these days. Honestly, i think it's a pretty tasteful style (not quite sure why WW calls it "hipster"). It says alot that they decided to open a store in Nashville, since they have very few markets.

If it is on Broadway, it will be a nice break from all of the touristy collectables shops.

Archived