Menard's, Lowe's, Home Depot

tamias6

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list goes:

Menards > Home Depot > Lowes

For some reason, I just hate going into Lowe's... Maybe its because there was only a Home Depot where I grew up. Ever since I moved to Grand Rapids though, I'll drive to Menards over the other two any day. They seem to have better prices and the sales staff is more helpful. Although I do find myself stopping at Home Depot time to time to pick up things I couldn't get @ Menards.

**Just thought I'd add I am near the Alpine corridor... Usually hit up Menards first, then hit up Home Depot on the way home if I need to... Don't think there is even a Lowe's around there.

I have to say I have spent more time than I would like in all those stores. I guess I prefer Menards over the other two, but out of necessity have gone to all of them. What I wish was that a store like Miller Zielstra on Michigan could be more competitive with their prices and selection. I go there whenever possible, but when buying in bulk it doesn't make economic sense to go there.

In the Centerpoint Mall Thread, GRdad informed that Menards is toying with the idea of replacing its current location with a 160,000+ sq. ft. store behind the 28th St Art Van furniture store on land that used to be an old Water Park. This Sketchup model I created depicts what the new store may look like if Menards goes through with their plans. The model is based on the home improvement retailer's latest store prototype which differs from its 2 other Grand Rapids locations.

View of the Store from the SE

2113859645_bed8dfc0e9_o.jpg

View of the Store from the SW

2113860069_d6f66a5a79_o.jpg

An aerial view showing how Menards would relate to Art Van and the store to the east of it.

2114637058_3e908ebd40_o.jpg

How about 'None of the Above' ?

All three are part of the fundamental change in retailing that's helping to destroy local economies, shutter American-owned factories and scar the landscape. The price we're really paying for the 'convenience' and 'low-cost' of these big box retailers should be obvious to all, especially UPers.

How about Godwin Hardware versus Modern Hardware verus Rylee's thread? Or a Standard Lumber versus Miller-Zylstra thread?

All three are part of the fundamental change in retailing that's helping to destroy local economies, shutter American-owned factories and scar the landscape. The price we're really paying for the 'convenience' and 'low-cost' of these big box retailers should be obvious to all, especially UPers.

How about Godwin Hardware versus Modern Hardware verus Rylee's thread? Or a Standard Lumber versus Miller-Zylstra thread?

One of the reasons I don't go to Menards all that much besides what I stated in one of previous posts is the fact they play that stupid Jingle over their PA system every couple of minutes. If I hear "Save big money at Menards" one more time...arrrgggggghhhhh!!! :angry::wacko:

MENARDS-HOME DEPOT-LOWES

I love Menards! I gives me that "mom & pop" hardware store feeling. The store on 52nd/Clyde Park is great! The staff is very friendly and helpful and the store is easy to navigate.

I agree with the statement on the Centerpointe location, very unorganized and feels very unwelcoming.

Home Depot and Lowes? Very close in satisfaction. Not really a huge difference besides the color in their signs.

As for the "support local businesses" jab, I absolutely support them when I need to run out and grab something quick. As for large projects? Big Box all the way.

My argument is "How many jobs do Ma and Pa shops produce over Big Box?" I know bla bla corporate america bla bla... But seriously, in Michigan's economy right now? We need those jobs produced by the large companies. The construction companies that work building these monstrosities, the employees the box brings in and the savings to the end user.

I shop by proximity to my house and or my own knowledge level.

That means Rylee's when I can afford it, when I'm in a hurry or (most importantly) when I need some advice on how to do the job at hand. Rylee's has always done me right. My favorite story is the time I tried to install a new dishwasher, at night and I broke the copper pipe I needed. Rylee's stayed open after closing to help me figure out exactly what I needed and they actually knew what they were talking about. I'm sure you can get similar service at Lowe's or Menard's but I've never been able to and I've always gotten it easily at Rylee's (the one on Michigan...I think they own a couple).

When I need bulk or lumber, sadly, it's Lowe's at 28th/29th/Beltline just because I cannot always afford Rylee's prices.

When it comes to rough lumber I prefer Lowe's. 2 by's are as straight as laser beams and have relativly few knots and checks. They also sell Georgia Pacific products so I also do general purpose plywoods and particle boards there as well. However I'll do locals for more specific products. For example I'll purchase my finish trim from Elenbass Mill Work as their selection of moldings blows big boxes out of the water and quality is top notch. When I need furniture grade material and woods of various species other than the standard poplar of pine I go to Johnson's Workbench or Woodcraft.

Archived