A new airport

TSmith

Just looking to get an opinion from yall. I am a huge supporter of a new, truly international airport. I say we should sell Armstrong to a company like UPS, Fed Ex or DHL. From there, one of these companies hires tons of locals... helping our economy. It would be a perfect sorting station for all business in South America.

But longterm, we should use a new airport to grow our city. Look at ATL. That city owes the majority of its success to the airport.

Think of it... New Orleans Gulf South International, or abbrieviated GSI. Gotta love it.

If we don't do it, Mississippi will.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still like to see a new international airport between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, which would serve both cities. Most people from Baton Rouge who are flying outside of the region use New Orleans' airport anyway, so why not just expand on that.

But I also like your idea, TSmith. A Gulf Coast Intl Airport would be a great investment for the entire region. And selling Armstrong Intl to a company like FedEx would be an excellent economic move for the city.

If an airport is built between BTR and NEW it should tie into the proposed Cargo Airport for the Donaldsonville area. However...at this time a new airport is not needed. I think an upgrade to the terminal would help with appearance, although our airport is far better looking than the one I land at most often (STL). There is more than enough capacity at Armstrong to last for quite a while. Any state money should be invested in maritime and highway infrastructure for the region, as these sectors are in greatest need at this time.

Agreed, I do not think that the market can support a larger airport at this time in this region. Sadly, New Orleans is surrounded by dominant commercial aviation hubs: 3 domestic hubs (ATL, DFW, and IAH), a major international hub (MIA), and a large regional hub that happens to be the world-wide hub for FedEx (MEM). To make matters worse, Hartsfield-Jackson and Memphis International are 2 of the 3 busiest airports in the world depending on the statistic being measured.

So, a Gulf Coast Int'l Airport... Good idea: in principle. Economically feasible idea: not right now. TSmith, you're right that ATL facilitated a wave of growth in Atlanta, but I think that it was built to fill an economic need and opportunity that does not exist today. Even though a gulf coast airport might serve as a gateway to a myriad of communities in the region, I'd like to point out a few things:

1. With the exception of Memphis, all of the above airports exist in metropolitan areas that are more populous than the entire state of Louisiana.

2. These airports would not be as large as they are if they were not major airline hubs.

3. An airport of comparable size could not be sustained without a comparable amount of hub traffic or non-connecting flights serving the metro area.

If the planned improvements are well executed, future infrastructure investments are made, the public wi-fi bandwidth cap is lifted in Louisiana (currently 128 kbits downstream), and additional modes of transit serve the airport (light rail, regional commuter rail, express bus service, etc.), we will have a very modern airport that can better support southeastern Louisiana. With the right mix of competitive business incentives, sustained local economic growth, and continued demand trends for passenger flights, we could see Armstrong become a small regional hub for one or two airlines, but that's a big "if" and it would probably also depend on the capacity situation at one of the larger hubs nearby.

Long story short, I don't think that we need another airport right now, and it might be another 15-20 years before we are in a position to sustain a new airport. Armstrong can support more people, and there is not enough demand right now to warrant such a project. On that note, Armstrong can only expand so much, and there will be other economic opportunities. Maybe next time around, the state will be more forward thinking.

Not no, but hell no. We have way too many other priorities to worry about than a billion dollar new airport. If we need a bigger or better anything, it's a bigger and better port. 1 in 7 jobs in Louisiana is directly or indirectly tied to trade along the Mississippi River or other waters in the state. Without major improvements, south Louisiana's mega port will continue to lose business to Houston and Mobile.

It's ironic. The very reason the United States purchased New Orleans, its port, is now hugely neglected.

As for Mississippi's "international airport" in Jackson- that's an entirtely different market. The idea of having a large new airport on the Gulf Coast would make sense only if the transportation infrastructure to make it truly regional were to be put into place. Essentially, high-speed rail lines connecting this airport with Mobile, Baton Rouge and other cities in the area. It would be nice to see this, but for the present time, I do not see a super-regional airport being built in this area.

I was referring to the sometimes talked about possibility of an airport being built in Hancock County, MS.

I'd like to see a new airport in N.O. East... not necessarily because we need it for passenger business, but to hopefully transition Armstrong to purely cargo traffic, perhaps owned and operated by one of the big transport companies... diversifying our economy, expanding our cargo transportation abilities... and helping the Port of New Orleans offer more options for the transmission of goods from river traffic to markets all over North and South America more quickly and efficiently. In addition, the influx of cash into city coffers from the sale of Armstrong would be a great shot in the arm for a city that is struggling post-Katrina.

In addition, the conversion of Armstrong to cargo only would eliminate the need for this cargo airport upriver near BR, as they are trying to do currently. That cargo airport will be an economic stimulus for BR much more than N.O. I say we pull the rug out from under them and convert Armstrong asap.

I was referring to the sometimes talked about possibility of an airport being built in Hancock County, MS.

I'd like to see a new airport in N.O. East... not necessarily because we need it for passenger business, but to hopefully transition Armstrong to purely cargo traffic, perhaps owned and operated by one of the big transport companies... diversifying our economy, expanding our cargo transportation abilities... and helping the Port of New Orleans offer more options for the transmission of goods from river traffic to markets all over North and South America more quickly and efficiently. In addition, the influx of cash into city coffers from the sale of Armstrong would be a great shot in the arm for a city that is struggling post-Katrina.

In addition, the conversion of Armstrong to cargo only would eliminate the need for this cargo airport upriver near BR, as they are trying to do currently. That cargo airport will be an economic stimulus for BR much more than N.O. I say we pull the rug out from under them and convert Armstrong asap.

• 3 months later...

The proposed cargo airport may not receive funding, without which the project will not go forward. However, I think the most interesting thing about the article is the bill to dissolve the Louisiana Airport Authority and move its function to the governor's office of economic development. Admittedly, I know very little about the function of the LAA and how it overlaps with other government agencies. Is there anyone on the board with more knowledge about the structure of Louisiana state government that might be able to highlight the good and bad points of such a move?

As a Jindal supporter, it does worry me that he is using his popularity and apparent mandate to expand the powers of the executive branch. While I believe he has the best intentions, he needs to work within his existing framework. He should not seek further influence over government affairs on any level because while his intentions may be true, the same may not be able to be said about his successors.

As a Jindal supporter, it does worry me that he is using his popularity and apparent mandate to expand the powers of the executive branch. While I believe he has the best intentions, he needs to work within his existing framework. He should not seek further influence over government affairs on any level because while his intentions may be true, the same may not be able to be said about his successors.

On the surface, this move seems to be a worrying one, though this is just a proposed bill. Find out more about it, and write your congressman / senator if you are concerned. Oddly enough, they listen to their constituents more often than you might think.

I agree that consolidation of executive power is not the best thing for Louisiana, though I don't know enough about this particular bill to judge it. However, I'm more worried about moves like when Jindal's office was trying to shield appointed officials from newly proposed disclosure laws (I couldn't find the original article, though it is alluded to in the fourth paragraph of the "Three Tiers" section of this article). Regardless of the politician and how much we might like them, they still deserve our scrutiny.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with the state moving to take ownership of the airport, it looks like my vision might not be too far off. Armstrong's days are numbered in its current state. Expansion will be much easier in the hands of the state, but that's not the vision here. Make no mistake... an airport at least 5 times the size of Armstrong is in our future... probably between BR and NO, with Armstrong being sold by the state to a large cargo carrier, bringing thousands of jobs to our city. All ya gotta do is listen to the speaker of the house.

Well, with the state moving to take ownership of the airport, it looks like my vision might not be too far off. Armstrong's days are numbered in its current state. Expansion will be much easier in the hands of the state, but that's not the vision here. Make no mistake... an airport at least 5 times the size of Armstrong is in our future... probably between BR and NO, with Armstrong being sold by the state to a large cargo carrier, bringing thousands of jobs to our city. All ya gotta do is listen to the speaker of the house.

With Armstrong being sold to a cargo carrier, would you be talking about having a passenger airport between New Orleans and Baton Rouge? I could see how a cargo airport between here and Baton Rouge would be a good thing, to service the Mississippi River. But, I'm not sure why putting a passenger airport 60 miles away from New Orleans is good for either city. Anyone that would want to fly into or from there would have to drive for an hour, or take a train that's not there yet, so instead of giving yourself an hour or 2 before flying to get to the airport, it will take 3-4 hours . And could you imagine sitting in traffic on the spillway trying to make a flight?

I might be missing something with it, though, so if I am, I'd like to know what the advantage is. I'd agree though that Armstrong should be replaced, but I would think that putting it in the East would be better, or even on the Westbank somewhere.

I dont think they should move the airport out further west. It's already far enough from downtown. If it goes any further out you would have to fight through Metairie traffic which takes long enough to get to the airport. Personally, I would like to see the airport in New Orleans East. And besides, does Baton Rouge enough have the clientel for such a large airport.

No offense nola17, but don't you think that is kind of being greedy putting it all the way in New Orleans East?

Maybe they could call it Airport of South Louisiana or Huey Long Airport or something like that, instead of New Orleans/Baton Rouge, I'd really hate for B.R.'s name to be last. Or maybe they could call it "Natewn Rorleage Airport". :lol:

Really though I'm not counting on this thing getting built. They could even get a commuter train started up.

Well I wouldn't mind the airport staying where it is right now. If it moves any further, its just going to be to hard for people east of downtown new Orleans to get to, and with the price of gas OMG. This does not set well for us if it moves.

No offense nola17, but don't you think that is kind of being greedy putting it all the way in New Orleans East?

Maybe they could call it Airport of South Louisiana or Huey Long Airport or something like that, instead of New Orleans/Baton Rouge, I'd really hate for B.R.'s name to be last. Or maybe they could call it "Natewn Rorleage Airport". :lol:

Really though I'm not counting on this thing getting built. They could even get a commuter train started up.

Maybe if it was going to be Gulf South International, it would be a better idea to locate it somewhere around Hammond or Covington, so that it will be easier to get to the Biloxi/Gulfport area? It would still be about the same distance from New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

I still think the Bonnet Carre Spillwat is the best location for the airport ! Those people who moved so far away chose to do that! Plus, I hate Denvers airport because it is so far from the central areas of town! I think it is a wise choice to put it as close to the main areas of new orleans as possible! But a direct toll road from downtown to the airport with a tramway would be perfect!

Archived