This is what started it all!

gs3

By all accounts from locals I talk with, the Hyatt Hotel and Greenville Commons complex is what started to turn a dead downtown into the showcase we know today. As South Carolina's only Hyatt Regency, the premium hotel and complex continues to be a magnet for downtown (meetings, conventions and business). 25 years. The Hyatt has the 25th logo cast with light on the interior of the lobby.

Which mayor started this private/public project?

Congrats to the Hyatt and to the city. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DSC03699.jpg

DSC03698.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hyatt is indeed fun to walk through, especially this time of year with the trees. I believe Max Heller was the Mayor, though I am really not old enough to remember. Does anyone have any pics of DT and main st pre-Hyatt they can post? That would make for some intresting comparisons. I think it must have been a heck of a sales job to get Hyatt to locate DT at that time.

The Hyatt is indeed fun to walk through, especially this time of year with the trees. I believe Max Heller was the Mayor, though I am really not old enough to remember. Does anyone have any pics of DT and main st pre-Hyatt they can post? That would make for some intresting comparisons. I think it must have been a heck of a sales job to get Hyatt to locate DT at that time.

I was actually involved in the grand opening. It was a bright spot in a dead downtown, and really is one of the main catalyst for the rebirth of Greenville. And yes, it didn't make much money at first and had a nice restaurant inside that had to close.

The Marriott at Renaissance Park is kind of Spartanburg's "Hyatt". Hopefully it will continue to spur and encourage more growth in that city just like the Hyatt did in Greenville. Happy Anniversary Hyatt!!!!!

• 4 months later...
This was a generation before the Hyatt, but this was on its site. It was the Ottaray Hotel. The Confederate Monument was in front of it.

Later, it was torn down, main street widened to four lanes, the Confederate Monument moved to the front of the cemetary. In the Ottaray's place was the Downtowner Motel. A horrid, multi colored building. Looked like the old Houston Astros uniforms. I can't find a picture of it, but you aren't missing much.

A whimsical and fun art project/activity created in the 1990s begins in front of the Hyatt Regency. A student project at Christ Church Episcopal School inspired Jimmy Ryan to come up with the idea to place mice in Greenville as a scavenger hunt for children to be involved in the enjoyment of the downtown atmosphere. The idea got past the classroom walls and was made a reality, to the enjoyment of kids of all ages. A bronzed sculpture of the classic children’s book, Goodnight Moon by Margaret W. Brown, starts the fun on the ledge of the Hyatt’s courtyard fountain. The story is about a young bunny rabbit that is compelled to tell every person and thing that he sees or thinks of “goodnight” before he goes to bed. On each page of the book is a recurring little white mouse that children love to find each time the page is turned. Instructions are given at the sculpture to wander down the sidewalks and find tiny bronze mice scattered at various locations along both sides of Main Street. Keep a sharp eye out because they are found high and low!

• 2 months later...

Since the Hyatt, we all know downtown has come a long way. Here's a few photos of "then" and "now" for comparison purposes. I don't have current pictures of all of the buildings on the website, so if anyone cares to post some more comparisons, be my guest. You can check out Greenville Counties' National Register sites and the source of the 'then' or historic photos here.

Falls Park [WEST END]

Camperdown Way Bridge and falls

S1081772300601.jpg

Liberty Bridge and Falls

378364924_128380d59c.jpg

Alliance and Mills & McBayer Cotton Warehouses [WEST END]

S1081772304202.jpg

Now, the West End Market

186923893_33569a1f2c.jpg

2234249097_d26a706921.jpg

Bible Presbyterian Church [CITY CENTER -- Hampton Pinckney]

S1081772301509.jpg

Being converted into a condo project called "The Hamptons"

2355783982_5a7836a6ce.jpg

Main Street buildings [WEST END]

S1081772304207.jpg

S1081772304206.jpg

S1081772304205.jpg

Today:

2234251603_ed212d1ee8.jpg

Dyer Cottage [WEST END]

S1081772300605.jpg

Falls Cottage (courtesy of Martin Labar from flickr.com)

76697731_e74b84185a.jpg

Greer-Thompson Building [WEST END]

S1081772304212.jpg

Today: (source: http://picasaweb.google.com/joshua.d.field...485239673488642 )

DSCF3854.JPG

Archived