Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aowwt

Grand Rapids on Wikipedia

10 posts in this topic

As you know I came here for research for Grand Rapids on Wikipedia. As a result of I have really like this place here. There is enough people here to help with any issues I come accross. So here is whats up, I recently added another article to wiki regarding our skyline. This article is called List of tallest buildings in Grand Rapids as a result I wanted to make sure there is nothing I have missed. If there is all I need is a link to a page that provides said info. In anycase enjoy. :D

BTW GRdad if you happen to get a moment or two I would love to see an updated layout of the hill with the Womens Health Village. If you dont have time now dont worry. Just put it on your list of things you like to do sometime in the future. In anycase I should get that up within the next few days. I been slacking. Just getting the time to put together all of the links I have accessed and what not is making me fall asleep. :ermm:

If you go to the Grand Rapids Category page you can find all of the pages about Grand Rapids. One thing I noticed is that on my buildings page there is only link to a building. That is the Amway Grand Plaza. So if you dont want to create an account and do the leg work on the site to create a page just provide some links so I can do it if you want some of those buildings placed on there.

In anycase I am trying my best to prop up Grand Rapids and give the rest of the world some insite into one of the most unique cities in the country. :yahoo:

Nice work. Im glad to see someone give GR some positive press on the site there. However, I saw one thing.

"This lists ranks Sacramento buildings that stand at least 200 feet (61 m) tall, based on standard height measurement. This includes spires and architectural details but does not include antenna masts. Existing structures are included for ranking purposes based on present height"

Why Sacramento?

oops I must have missed that one. I copied the sacremento article since it was pretty close to what I wanted for the GR article. I must have glossed over that one. I had replaced every other reference so I was shocked to see that one. In anycase the Detroit List is where I like to take this one to. But its gonna take a lot of time. Well thanks for the catch.

Someone has suggested I include more on the West Michigan Science and Technology Initative but uhm I have gone to their site but found very little to really use. Unless I am missing something I just don't know what else I should include. I know for a fact that I can't include a list of companies that they started out or true advertisement of them but I am sure whatever you guys can come up with should help flesh it out. In any case if you guys can think of anything else that should be included on GR Medical Corridor page just let me know.

Wow... I did not know that Heritage Hill had a Wiki too!

By the way, the Association is 40 years old and there is quite a bit of discussion about tons of exciting events to take place this year!

yeep thats part of the reason why I put the medical corridor on wiki. If wiki can have an article on that then they sure can put a page up on our biggest national econimic item in Grand Rapids

Okay here is my most recent update on everything to do with wiki. I been kinda relaxing since I finished the Mid Towne development section. Not much to do on wikipedia itself but Commons has been busy with work. Commons is where you load up media to be used on wikipedia. That media can range from videos to pictures and sound files. Needless to say I been busy getting things looking better. The first thing I did was restore the image of GRCCs Calkins Science center after it got deleted without a warning and gave them a reply of what are you doing. In anycase I been waiting on the final say on that picture. If it does get taken down I will just have go into town myself and get a picture. The other issue is the image of layout of the Medical Corridor was taken down since it appeared to them that it had used the base image of a satallite picture. So that will need to get rectified sometime in the future.

Now that the bad news has been taken care of I been working on sorting the images that is currently on Commons. Its not much but its more than I would expect. As for where these files are located at here is the Buildings of Grand Rapids link so enjoy :yahoo: Feel free to upload whatever images you want. I would love to add several sub catergories to this. Several I could think of is more on Hotels of Grand Rapids, another would be Museums, possible government buildings, even libraries of Grand Rapids. One I would love to see is more on Grand Rapids Community College or even Grand Valley State Uni in Grand Rapids. In anycase just because it says Grand Rapids does not mean City of Wyoming and other cities surronding Grand Rapids are not allowed in fact I put on there that anything in Kent County should be put in this category :good:

Well I am posting this so folks that have pictures already and would like to post them would be allowed to do so. I can use most of the images that get posted into articles for Grand Rapids. I know there is a lot that should be covered. So if you want me to write an article for some pics you posted just let me know. I can find most data pretty fast.

Well in thier infinite wisdom some idiot decided that wating a bit longer on the OTRS pending is not possible. So they agian deleted the image for the Calkins Science Center. Geez what boneheads.

Hmm I been thinking and boy you can see those smoke clouds coming from wyoming from all points in kent county. In anycase what I been thinking is there is an awful lot of good stuff happening in the city of GRad and uhm the Grand Rapids wiki article does not fulfill those too much. Its like it glosses over a lot of the good things going on. After rereading the entire Wealthy-Jefferson redevolopement stuff I am shocked at not knowing about it. So what I am proposing is that with the support of this board about making a section in the GR article for the diffrent developments going on including the past ones.

What I am thinking is calling it the redevolopment section of the city. I think two things could point to the start. One would be the Van Andel Arena or the second could be the new public Museum as the starting point. It seems after that a lot has changed pretty fast. Any thoughts on what should be included let me know. I really think getting the WORLD to know about the recent work in the city could help spur more and as many know, wikipedia pops up pretty fast on most search engines. As a result I like to help that article more in that respect. One thing I plan on doing is for each project that gets big in the Grand Rapids Article is to move it off the article except for a good line or two and have the link to allow a more detailed experince. I just hope I can get this going within a month or two. Well time to check out the article and see what I can get changed and what needs to be worked on along with finding some folks that have worked on the page to get it more welcoming.

Just a quick note, if you go to my new temporary Grand Rapids Article, I need references badly! All I need is a site that explains what each of these are. Frankly I am SHOCKED at how badly this article is referenced. So if you can check out the new temporary article and just list on here some sites that would reference what is said feel free to do so. Its a huge amount of work right now.