King Edward Hotel Restoration Progress

tombarnes

• 2 months later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most recent photograph of the King Edward I have seen is from almost a month ago in early August. The picture suggested that the roof terrace and the structure for the pool house are being built. It also appaears as though the brick is being cleaned. If anyone has additional pictures of the progress, please feel free to post them. There have not been any recent updates on the official site just yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Recent Pictures from Downtown Jackson and the King Edward

David Watkins has posted a gallery of recent photographs from downtown Jackson, Farish Street and the progress at the King Edward. It looks as though things are proceeding smoothly. The rough interior framing appears to be well on its way and they have added a roof over the ballroom. I suppose this means that there may not be skylights. In any event, I would expect that interior work will continue according to schedule. We cannot expect to see renderings or plans for the interior just yet. The plans are still a work in progress, but will probably be revealed in a few months.

David Watkins' Smugmug Gallery

• 1 year later...

My linkPreservation in Mississippi

The King Edward should be opening its doors in about a month! I'll post more later but here's a discussion thread with links to recent picture galleries at the Preservation in Mississippi blog.

[url=http://http://misspreservation.com/current-issues/jacksons-king-edward-hotel/]

Here is a gallery of recent pictures from the Clarion-Ledger. I hope to travel to Jackson next month to stay at the King Edward when it opens. Currently, the expected opening date is December 17th. Hilton won't be taking reservations until january or February. This will be a "soft" opening.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the Hilton name will be integrated by basically replacing the official name of the hotel. The hotel is "officially" kown as the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Jackson, though many locals simply continue to call it the King Edward. The apartments are also called the King Edward Apartments- all of which are leased, by the way. I'll post some pics from my January visit soon. The rooms look like a regular Hilton- nothing cheap about them.

• 3 months later...

So glad to hear that this great building has been salvaged. I haven't been to Jackson in a few years, but there is so much great urban regeneration opportunity in the immediate vicinity of King Edward. I'm looking forward to getting back up there soon.

Does anyone know about the plans to restore the Three Foots (Dreyfuss) building in downtown Meridian?

Archived