Recent snow storm and DOTs terrible response

reverand

Here is my rant...

In the 9 years that i have lived in Providence i can not remember a worse job clearing snow than this past storm. This is unbelievable. You can not even go down half of the streets and the other half have become one way since people have to throw themselves on top of snow banks to park.

Way to waite until the snow has piled up so much that no one can drive during the first storm and then not even try to prepare and clean up before the second storm comes and leaves thicklayer of ice which now will be here for months. Glad my taxes are going to good use.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're gonna make me rant about the sidewalks aren't you?

Let me just say this for now, I was thinking of going to Mod Mama (is that the name) in Wayland Square to do some Christmas shopping after work, but I can't get there on foot, so I'm going to the mall instead.

Anyone from any of the Merchant Associations reading this fell free to take note.

^ fell free freudian typing I guess.

I am not a serial DOT defender; in fact, one of my favorite "only in RI" stories is when a truck jacknifed on 95 and the late, great "Chickie" Jackvony filled up his State-owned truck with butter cookies and other goodies that had spilled out of the truck with intent to re-gift to family and firends.

(Chickie's Obit)

But, despite folks like Chickie being at the helm, I really don't know what could have been done. The roads were choked and the snow came down so hard and fast that there was little to no opportunity to get ahead of the mess. I find the politicization of this laughable, especially so when the Bud-I is leading the chorus of dissent.

As for me, I got hit-and-run on Academy Avenue. At 6 PM, having made it from Mt. Pleasant Hardware to Eagle Sq. in 2.5 hours, I packed it in, headed to Cuban Revolution, and waited it out.

I am not a serial DOT defender; in fact, one of my favorite "only in RI" stories is when a truck jacknifed on 95 and the late, great "Chickie" Jackvony filled up his State-owned truck with butter cookies and other goodies that had spilled out of the truck with intent to re-gift to family and firends.

(Chickie's Obit)

But, despite folks like Chickie being at the helm, I really don't know what could have been done. The roads were choked and the snow came down so hard and fast that there was little to no opportunity to get ahead of the mess. I find the politicization of this laughable, especially so when the Bud-I is leading the chorus of dissent.

As for me, I got hit-and-run on Academy Avenue. At 6 PM, having made it from Mt. Pleasant Hardware to Eagle Sq. in 2.5 hours, I packed it in, headed to Cuban Revolution, and waited it out.

Someone tell me how anyone could have plowed when all of New England was sent onto the roads at once on thursday?

That being said, it is totally unacceptable that some streets are still snow clogged. And sidewalks, if you think Providence is bad (and trust me, it is!), you should all drive to Taunton. I wanted to walk to get my lunch today but my work's sidewalk was the only one not under a foot of snow. Not even sidewalks leading to the GATRA hub were cleared! As if Taunton, supposedly an urban center, isn't already bad enough for pedestrians, now they have to walk in the road with massholes speeding by...

I live on a court (little side street that got plowed once on Thursday and has since been untouched). A dead-end street, half a city block long, it is now a solid sheet of ice, way too treacherous for me to drive -- I was only able to get out with the help of someone pushing my car. I parked on the main street last night, and gave my license to the police for permission. No change in the weather or the court I live on, and tonight they tell me "only one more night, that's it!" and hung up on me.

So my question is: if the ice is a solid 6 inches thick and un-shovel-able on my mini-street, and I can't get my car down it, what exactly am I supposed to do? If they can't clear the court (which is not a private drive and shared by 3 homes) and no one with only a shovel would be capable of clearing it, how the heck is it fair to penalize me for not driving my car where it will most definitely get stuck? The weather is showing no signs of warming enough for it to melt. I'm so frustrated with the city!!!

Does anyone know the best way for me to appeal this? Or to demand that they salt/clear the court if they are going to demand that I drive down it?

Argh. :wacko:

I live on a court (little side street that got plowed once on Thursday and has since been untouched). A dead-end street, half a city block long, it is now a solid sheet of ice, way too treacherous for me to drive -- I was only able to get out with the help of someone pushing my car. I parked on the main street last night, and gave my license to the police for permission. No change in the weather or the court I live on, and tonight they tell me "only one more night, that's it!" and hung up on me.

So my question is: if the ice is a solid 6 inches thick and un-shovel-able on my mini-street, and I can't get my car down it, what exactly am I supposed to do? If they can't clear the court (which is not a private drive and shared by 3 homes) and no one with only a shovel would be capable of clearing it, how the heck is it fair to penalize me for not driving my car where it will most definitely get stuck? The weather is showing no signs of warming enough for it to melt. I'm so frustrated with the city!!!

Does anyone know the best way for me to appeal this? Or to demand that they salt/clear the court if they are going to demand that I drive down it?

Felony Cianci is being critical of the snow response??? I fear this return to RI.. I really do.. For all of you who say the people of Rhode Island are educated and well to do and I have a very low opinion of them in general... I'd like you to explain why in recent polls this multi-felon would get elected again if possible.. If Buddy was in office there would be LESS plows out there (amazing but true) as only his "constituents" would get the plow contracts..

I have a ppty on a street that borders Nort Provident and is in Providence.. The two cities fight over who owns it because it is technically both.. It never gets plowed.. Never..

http://www.projo.com/extra/buddy/part_four.htm

I'd like you to read this in hind sight.. Granted, I throughly enjoy the union busting action.. But look at the names.. THESE PEOPLE WERE IN GOVERNMENT!!! My god Providence has come a long way.. Could you believe if things were Buddy Status Quo still.. Gridlock for a week..

When Cianci returned to Providence, he told a councilman how he had regaled his audience with tales of sending Buckles Melise out to break some heads.

"He talked about how he had sent Buckles down to the line to beat the [expletive] out of guys," says Malcolm Farmer III, a former Republican councilman from the East Side. "He said how Buckles sledge-hammered one guy and stuck his thumb in another guy's eye."

In the words of Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr.. "Did that blow your mind, because THAT JUST HAPPENED."

Felony Cianci is being critical of the snow response??? I fear this return to RI.. I really do.. For all of you who say the people of Rhode Island are educated and well to do and I have a very low opinion of them in general... I

Council wants answers on storm response [The Providence Journal]

While it is seldom enforced, a municipal ordinance requires property owners or caretakers to shovel the snow on the sidewalks at the perimeters of their property within four hours of the conclusion of a daylight snowfall or within four hours of daybreak after a snowfall. A path at least 3 feet wide must be cleared.

The ordinance also requires property owners to clear the snow from around hydrants, from curb cuts that accommodate pedestrian ramps and from any catch basins in sidewalks.

Violation of the ordinance carries a fine ranging from $25 to $300.

About six years ago, in response to departmental buck-passing, the council added a line to the ordinance making it clear that the police are responsible for its enforcement.

Police Maj. Paul C. Fitzgerald said the police traditionally issue a violation summons only if a complaint is received. If there is a problem involving a major downtown property owner, he said, the police will alert that owner and the problem generally is taken care of.

As of 3 p.m. yesterday, no violation summonses had been issued in the aftermath of either storm, according to Fitzgerald.

Because they cannot rely on the public to comply with the snow-removal ordinance, firefighters do the hydrant-clearing themselves, Dillon said.

Archived